Cashiers! Put the damn receipt in the bag, and don't bother me with it!

[Quote]

Orignally posted by Brad_D
I, personally, have little use for the cashier counting back my change in the time-honored fashion, and am quite happy that I very rarely encounter it. When I worked in a movie theatre, this method of giving people their change was never taught, and it was only a few years ago that I realized that some feel it’s the appropriate technique.

When I worked in fastfood and retail as a cashier I was never taught the “count back” method of making change. Nor did I always have a register or a calculator to tell me how much change to make. I always (even when I did have a register) subtracted the sale total from the amount tendered. I very rarely made mistakes and it confuses the hell out of me when I buy something and the cashier counts the change back. For me it is simpler if the cashier says the total of my change and I can do a quick calc in my head to see if its even close to being right. It’s also quicker than counting back.

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with the clerks themselves.

The clerk placed the receipt in my hand, circled a number at the bottom of the receipt and proudly proclaimed:

“And here’s the money you saved today!”

He smiled at the great favor he’d done for me.

Hmm.

Ok.

Rationally, I grasp the concept: ‘The indicated figure reflects the amount of money deducted from your total expenditure due to lowered prices on particular items as the result of our in-store efforts to increase stock turnover or to provide an incentive to draw you, the customer, to our store more often. I have circled the sum total of the discounts provided that you might juxtapose the figure against the grand total of the bill and recognize the deduction as beneficial to your fiscal endeavours. This amount will not be drawn from your bank account, that you might use it for other transactions in the future.’

Sure.

But I just spent $147.56

I did not “save money.”

I spent it. I walked through your doors and my bank account will now reflect a debit amounting to the sum I tendered to this establishment in exchange for goods procured.

(And I spent a good deal; but, miraculously, it all fits into one cart. Five bags, which becomes three and a half in actual volume—some settling occurs during transit.)

It’s a simple matter, nothing more than a pet peeve. It’s really a matter of wording—I didn’t “save money.”

You simply didn’t charge me as much for those items—as a result, I spent more on other items. My choice, I understand.

However, you charged me quite sufficiently for those other items. Items which the store across town charges 1/3 less for. But it’s not as convenient to go there. So I willingly subject myself to paying a little more.

I’m not upset about your pricing.

You have a lot of employees, high overhead, and the red tape you need to deal with just to operate in California must be staggering. Couple that with the ski-stopover way-station that is my town, the bedroom community for all those HP and Intel workers, and the prices escalate even higher. Sure, I understand.

But I might just carry a fluorescent highlighter so when the clerk, who’s but the messenger and I appreciate his/her efforts, circles the figure at the bottom, I highlight the Grand Total and reply “And here,” (circle!) “Is what I spent.”

And I’ll say it with the smile of doing him a great favor.

Ah, gotcha. Both at once is a pain.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

The cashier will have a bagger take your bags out to your vehicle, and then place them in the trunk/seat/wherever. In the meantime, the cashier will get another bagger or bag groceries themselves. In every grocery store I go to, I’m asked if I would like “help out to my car” 9 times out of 10. As far as urban areas, I live in St. Louis. It was also this way in San Diego and many stores in LA before moving here.

Ok, Turbo, got it. I sure never encountered this in Manhatten. Grocery stores don’t have parking lots. People are walking to their apartments. I don’t encounter it in the suburbs, either, although many of the stores do have parking lots.

Handing you the receipt:

This is better than in the bag. In the old days, I paid with cash or a check, and I didn’t care about the receipt. Now, I pay with a debit card, and I need the receipt, or at least the bottom portion of the receipt, which brings me to the next point.

Circling my “savings” on the receipt:

Knock it off! I use the receipt later to enter the amount I spent into my check register. It’s hard enough searching through all the dense-pack, dot-matrix, pale lavender, weak-ass ink cartridge printout for the date and amount without the clerk circling the single most useless piece of information on there short of “Thank you for shopping . . .” in red ink.

Also on the date and amount:

Cut to the chase. Put the date and amount next to each other on the receipt please. I want to tear off the bottom two inches of the receipt, stick it in my wallet and toss the other six to twelve inches of receipt in the bag where I won’t have to deal with it ever again.

On management requiring the receipt:

I always wondered about that practice. And then somebody explained the rationale. It prevents the cashier from pocketing the cash without registering the transaction. This is the only reason that makes sense to me why they would go so far as to give the customer a price-break incentive to make a big deal about not getting a receipt so I tend to believe it.

I’m thinking of that scene from Cable Guy:

“They didn’t have utensils in medieval times but they had Pepsi?”

“Dude, I got a lotta tables.”

This drives me up the fucking wall. What burns my ass is when they hand the reciept with the paper change (bills). The almost forces me to put the damn thing in my wallet. My damn wallet has more reciepts in it than money for christs sakes! This may work well for a woman, whom generally have a purse and/or a larger wallet. I usually ask them to put it in the bag but sometimes they beat me to it and mix it up with the change already.

Damn! I am getting pissed off now just typing this!

Well, this woman carries a trifold wallet in her hip pocket, and she’s about ready to start smacking clerks who hand the receipt back with the bills.

Listen clerks. My wallet is not a receipt storage center. Handing me the receipt with the bills means that I have to put them away seperately, taking care not to spill cash and coins all over the place. You are only holding up your own line by doing this, so next time, listen to me when I tell you to put the receipt in the bag!!

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Boy…I am totally thinking opposite of you…for every purchase I make with a debit card, I want a receipt…I don’t care if it’s a 1.00 or 100.00, I want a receipt, and I am tired of the cashiers now asking if I want one. I gave you money, now I want a receipt for my transaction. Stop asking me, and act like a Customer Service aide is supposed to do…take care of the customer!

And sticking it in the bag…NO WAY!!! Receipts stuck in bags can get thrown out by accident with the bag. I want it handed to me with my change so I can stick the receipt in my check book, to be logged at a later date with my other debit card transactions!

Who wants a yellowed, faded, falling-apart old receipt anyway?

Thank you!

I’ve been waiting what seems like more than a decade for someone to say what I was thinking, sweetchariot, and now I’m so gratefu— wait, I just read post # 2 in this thread.

Never mind.

Having been falsely accused of driving off without paying for gas - when I worked a job where that would mean me getting fired and blackballed from the industry - I absolutely insist on getting and being handed a receipt every time I buy gas. Well, these days I mostly pay at the pump, but I still get and keep the receipt.

At the grocery store or other places, I do like that they ask me, but I do tell them to put it in the bag, or I hold open the bag for them and tell them to put it inside. I just get annoyed when I get bills for change and they hand it to me mixed in with the bills. No, sorry, bills go in my pocket. Receipt goes in the bag.

Oh, and I never bother to balance my checkbook anymore, so I don’t need to log anything. I can check the balance on-line any time if I need to know what it is.

Is it okay to handle a zombie receipt?