Cat losing hair

I texted his dad and told them they were coming so he could try and be awake.

I let them in this morning. Waiting to hear back from them on whether he gave her up or not, and what was eating her

They said they weren’t sure they could tell me the diagnosis but he surrendered her. Now she can get health care she needs. Do they heal the cats and then readopt them out?

It looks like you’ve done what you can to get the poor kitty into a better situation. Too bad that they can’t give you a diagnosis. Maybe they’re not sure yet?

I don’t know if all Humane Societies readopt out healed pets, but many of them do. We got our cat from our local Humane Society; he came to us as a foster when he was an injured kitten. They don’t have a good website, but here’s one:
https://humanesocietyofwestchester.org/animal-rescue/

What would they do with her if they don’t readopt cats out? I doubt they can keep them all.

(not sure I want to know the answer --)

Call the shelter and follow up. Some shelters may euthanize.

It’s Humane Society of Lake County. in Mentor Ohio. I don’t feel bad for him. He kept putting off making an appointment.:kissing_cat:

Here’s that shelter’s policy on euthanizing. Basically they won’t euthanize the cat unless they think its health issue is incurable.

"Lake Humane Society does not euthanize for time or space. Our shelter runs on a managed intake basis. This means that once we meet max capacity, we do not accept new pets until our existing pets are adopted. When we are at capacity, we instate a waiting list for new pets that need to be surrendered and our intake is based on priority and availability. Managed intake is what works best for us and ensures we give our pets the best care possible. We do not have time or space limitations for our adoptable animals. We’ve had pets in our care for up to 2 1/2 years before they are adopted into loving homes. We believe that all healthy, happy pets deserve a second chance at life, no matter how long it takes for their perfect family to find them!

We only euthanize due to severe health or behavioral issues (aggression). We want to ensure that animals adopted from our shelter are safe for both our staff/volunteers and the community. If an animal has behavioral issues, we try to work on behavior modification. If we do not have the resources or ability to help the animal, we look into rescue groups who might be able to give the animal the one-on-one care he/she needs. Animals with severe, untreatable, or life-threatening health problems are also humanely euthanized."

Thanks, @gkster; that looks encouraging.

She had fleas. I am surprised, as I’d picked her up twice and held her; none got on me. She’s probably doing well now.

Some cats are allergic, and may react with hair loss even if they’ve got only a very few fleas. As fleas on a cat may well prefer cats to people, unless the cat has a lot of fleas their humans may not notice that the fleas are there at all.

Thanks for the update – I gather you got that info from the shelter?

No. He contacted me last night, as he’d owed me money, so we talked and he told me.

Is the cat still at the shelter, or is it back at the apartment? The reason I ask is that the apartment certainly has fleas and flea eggs, which is what always happens when someone has a pet with fleas in their home. If the cat returns to the apartment she will be reinfested almost immediately. There are plenty of over the counter topical flea treatments, but it can take quite a while to completely eliminate fleas from a home.

He surrendered her. He has some light near the floor which trapped the leftover fleas, it’s made for that purpose. He says someday he may get another cat, but I don’t think he’d be allowed. His dad had fleas in his home this summer and probably brought one by

Good news!
I wonder if the cat is up for adoption on the shelter website yet or if they’re waiting for her hair to grow back a bit?

I looked, not yet! She’s black. He called her MaryJane but I always called her Missy.

She’s healed! I see her pic up now on the site (Mary) she’s black.

Poor Mary! she looks still a little freaked out.

It’ll be all right, Mary. You’re lovely, and there’s a better place to live waiting for you.

She’s got her hair back! I often feel I don’t contribute to anything in this world, but I helped her. It makes me happy. He just wouldn’t get her help, that’s not a good owner, and why I won’t get a cat until I have more money on hand. I used to joke he should’ve called her Snowball.

Good to see she’s recovered and ready to be adopted out. Her fur looks nice and glossy.