Cat owners: Educate a dog person.

Tons of good advice in the thread. “Dogs have owners. Cats have staff” :D.

On the scratching post: There are better commercial ones out there than when we last looked for a store-bought one. Used to be, they were low (maybe 2 feet tall) and on a flimsy base that pulled over onto the cat as soon as the cat would get to playing with the thing. This would occur perhaps twice and the cat would have nothing further to do with it. Oh, and they were often covered in pile carpeting - i.e. something the cats claws just barely caught on, so they didn’t get a good stretch. Newer commercial ones often have the vertical bit wrapped in rope, which is a better stretching medium, just thought I’d alert you to look for the covering.

When we last shared quarters with cats, Typo Knig actually made several posts using closed-loop pile carpeting, a 4x4 post (about 3+ feet tall) for the vertical bit, on a 3x3 foot square of plywood for the base. Those were GREAT. If you know anyone who’s remotely handy and would be willing to invest an hour or two to make one for you, the cat will be very pleased. One of ours liked to climb up the post and perch with all 4 paws on the 4x4 bit, like a circus cat. IIRC, we had to recover the vertical bit after a year or two because the cat had shredded it.

Cats have been known to get up to mischief for the sheer hell of it. I had a plant stand with little round shelves on it. Nothing fancy. I had some plants on it. I would come home from work to find them knocked down. OK, cats bounce around and don’t bother avoiding obstacles if they don’t feel like it. Until the day I saw the cat sitting next to the stand, raising one paw, and DELIBERATELY pushing the plant off the shelf.

It’s not a post, but our cat loves this one, and it’s not as ugly as some are.

Mama Zappa:

Just the other day, my cat decided he wanted a treat. I keep the dog’s meds on the kitchen counter. The kitty treats are in a little bag right next to them. Mr. Kitty used his paw to bat a bottle of dog pills down on the floor, and then he chased it into the next room… where I could SEE it.

He knew I’d pick it up and put it back on the kitchen counter… right next to the kitty treats. By the time I got to the kitchen counter, he was already up there, rubbing his head on his bag of treats. I took the hint and gave him a handful. I thought it was hilarious that he knew exactly how to get my attention directed to his treat bag so he could have a little snack.

Cats are totally trainable, but watch out. They might train you instead.

There is something to this. Cat psychology is a bit more complex than folks let on. They’re not really difficult or anything, but there is something going on behind their eyes. Regardless of what you’ve heard, cats are social. They’re not typically needy, but they don’t like being alone. Some cats do really well on their own, but that’s usually outdoor cats that can hunt, or indoor cats with a 3+ hoomans to socialize with. A single indoor cat that spends a lot of time alone, in my experience, is going to get weird on you. Fortunately, if you give a kitten to a weird cat, the results will be swift and positive.

Also, if you can adopt an adult with a good personality, great. If you go for a kitten, treat it how you want it to treat you when it grows up–basically, teach it what you’re good for. If you want a cuddler, give it tons of attention and spend some quality time napping together on the couch.

But yeah, be prepared to end up with 2 cats if you don’t have a family in a couple years.

Re: male v. female: I hereby, uh, dissend upon your position.

My husband made one like this for the kittens, but with rope (attached with wood glue and staples), and it is as good as new now, ten years later. It still sees extensive daily use. It’s ugly, but worth it.

I also recommend the inclined cardboard scratchers - we put them any place that a cat seems to want to claw inappropriately, and they help a lot. (This illustrates a general technique for cat misbehavior - you will in general do much better by figuring out why the cat wants to perform whatever the obnoxious behavior is, and then setting up a better alternative in the same spot. Scratcher on the carpet, food bowl on the place where they pee on the floor, litterbox in the bathtub, etc. Often once you get them used to the alternative thing, you can gradually move that to a more convenient location.)

This is my experience:

I’ve had both cats and dogs, but I’m more of a cat person. I’ve learned that cats like to be more independent, which is one thing I like about them. They often choose for themselves wether or not they want to socialize. If you want to be able to hold your cat without it trying to free itself from your arms, try to get them use to it as early in their life as possible. That’s not to say they WILL get use to it, but if you want to hold them, start early.

I believe that most cats prefer gentle petting rather than aggress petting. I use the back of my fingernails to pet them. Though some may enjoy a good scratching if they are shedding or just itchy. I guess I’m just trying to say, don’t be as abrasive you would be with a dog. I’ve only had one cat that didn’t mind having her belly rubbed. So if you want to try it out, see how the cat responds.

As said up-thread, a scratching post is a must! Make sure to teach the cat that it’s supposed to use the post as early as possible. I know some people who wait to get one, and the cats ignore it.

Try not to piss off the cat – it’s not a dog. Give it space. Learn a cat’s language… sometimes a cat will ‘tell you’ if a petting session is lasting too long. Like dogs, you can really pick up on how it’s feeling by it’s vocalization.

My parents have a Ragdoll, which is as close to a dog as I’ve ever seen a cat. You can pick them up and plop them down, but it has health problems, and I hear they often do. Cats are all different, so results may vary. Another cat my folks owns fetches her toys, you throw it, it will bring it back.

OH, and there are special rugs you can get to get kitty litter off their paws that you can put under the litter box… unless you teach the cat to use the toilet, which some can do.

What **Dogzilla **said.

They can be trained, but at the same time they will train you. It’s the natural progression of being owned by cats (aka your feline overlords).

I have the SuperKitties (oft-mentioned about the Dope), both obtained when they were itty bitties (read strays). I’d love to have another cat but it’s a bit beyond my budget at the moment. I would get an adult if I could.

They are much less work than a kitten. Kittens are cute - but exhausting. I’m looking at YOU, Miss Magnolia (Maggie). There was a reason I nicknamed you ‘Girl Squirrel.’ You haven’t seen much of anything until you’ve seen a 2-pound scrap of fur CLIMB A WALL. :smiley:

For a first-timer definitely **do not **get kittens. Get adults and get two of them. They will be company for one another when you’re not at home, and two cats are little more work than one.

I do personally recommend the DSH, as opposed to the medium-long and long-haired cat, both of which are a whole lotta work.

Case in point: Turk, my Maine Coone/Russian Blue mix is a logistical nightmare. The only reason he puts up with the brushing is because he’s learned that there are treats afterward if he’s a good boy. Otherwise, trying to effectively brush that 19-pound monster with all that undercoat is nearly impossible – and he has to be done just about every day in order to stay ahead of the matting. Definitely reward all brushing sessions with treats afterward.

Maggie, the aforementioned other SuperKitty, is a DSH, and super low-maint. She gets a little brushing the same time Turk does, which greatly eases the jealousy factor in the house. :stuck_out_tongue: Reward for nail clipping, too. It works. If they learn they get treats afterward, you have a far more tractable cat then you might have otherwise. Have the vet show you how to do nails if you aren’t confident enough to try it the first time around.

Be conscientious about the clean litter and regular scoopings. Cats are nothing if not fastidious. As mentioned upthread, it will prevent protests from the feline population about their living conditions.

Check with the vet about what food to feed your cats. Both SuperKitties have been on Iams or Science Diet since they were kittens. I don’t feed them wet food, but I’m starting to hear conflicting reports now about wet vs dry. Turk is due for his annual check-up, and at age eight or so, I’m going to revisit his food requirements when I take him in.

One last thing: please, please make them indoor cats only. They’ll live much longer, happier, and healthier lives that way.

And keep us posted! We will of course expect pictures of your new feline overloads asap.

I don’t know how much of your walking balance is reliant on the cane but I’ve never had a cat of any age fail to walk under my feet at every opportunity. If you stepped on something unexpectedly, would you fall and be unable to get up?
Or do you use a cane a la Martin Crane on Frasier?
There are self-scooping litter pans, btw, they’re expensive but worth it when you’re unable to scoop it yourself for whatever reason. Likewise there are cheap gravity feeders for dry food and water.
I concur w/ all those who say to get an older cat; kittens are the reason I’ve had to throw away 2 boxsprings in 5 years. They’ll scratch you much more and their scratches and bites are very germy; they can get easily infected even in young people.
A cat will let you be sedentary, a dog will make you go outside and get some exercise. Still, I know some dogs can be trained to use a litter pan.

One thing to consider is who will care for your pet if you can’t be home for any reason? If you have absolutely no one you trust enough to come into your home and care for your pet it may not be the best idea to get a pet.

Add my :eek: to that as well!

I think this depends on the person and on the cat. I do get that from my cat.

I have the same one! My cats adore it. They love to sit on top of the curve and preen after a good scratching.

I’ll add my voice to the chorus saying to get two cats. You’ll have happier, better adjusted cats than if you just have one. Plus watching them play together is high entertainment. Be aware, however, that cats don’t necessarily get along when they meet. When introducing two cats to each other, the general rule of thumb is to allow them 2 weeks to get used to each other. During that 2 weeks you may get a lot of hissing and aggressive behavior as they establish dominance and sort things out. After 2 weeks they’ll generally mellow out and make friends.

Oh, absolutely. My sister is totally a cat person and loathes dogs, and my mother and friends all love their cats. I only even mentioned it because my husband (who is a dog person) wanted a cat originally because he assumed it would be like having a slightly lesser dog, and he was disappointed to find that it’s (to us, at least) an entirely different experience.

I think it’s good to get a cat if you want a cat. I think getting a cat because you can’t have a dog is a risky proposition, as they’re very different pets.

I don’t quite agree that cats see you as “staff” - I think they see you as their “roommate”. But definitely don’t expect a cat to look up to you the way a dog does. Cats are more likely to greet you with a “Hey, what’s up? What’s for dinner?” than with the doggy “WHERE DID YOU GO OH MY GOD I MISSED YOU SOOOO MUCH!!! I’M SO GLAD YOU’RE BACK!!! EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL AGAIN!!!”

And they’ll still pound on each other from time to time to revisit who gets the highest perch in each. room. in. the. house. Do not attempt to interfere with these negotiations.

Please note that all cats are different. Not all cats are aloof and independent. Mine was the second pet added to what became a pack of four (two dogs, two cats). His entire life he has lived with other animals. On the few rare occasions when he’s been left alone at home - no me, no dogs, no other cat, the catsitters tell me he cries incessantly the minute he hears their car in the driveway. He cries the whole time they’re there, except while he’s actually eating. As soon as he’s finished, he installs himself in their laps and won’t let them leave. When I get home, I can hear him crying inside the house as soon as I open my car door. He’s all over me. If he wagged, he would. You can hear the purr from the next room. He does not pout or hide or try to “punish” me for leaving him. Nope. He’s Velcro Kitty for at least a week. I actually stopped leaving him and started boarding him at the kennel when I go out of town – even for a couple days – because he does so much better with company. He seems happy in there and is a cool, calm, collected cucumber when I pick him up. While he may be an outlier, he is indeed the type of cat to greet me with “WHERE DID YOU GO OH MY GOD I MISSED YOU SOOOO MUCH!!! I’M SO GLAD YOU’RE BACK!!! EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL AGAIN!!!” All expressed in meows, paw kneading, and very loud purring.

Can you cat-proof a back yard? Yes, it can be done - ours is cat-proofed, and I might have a feline sunning herself on the deck as I speak.

I’d call that an understatement. My husband’s cat’s favourite game is, “Knock stuff off the shelf until I get tired of it.”

But trim the nails first. :slight_smile:

Every cat cohabitator I know has a particular walk - you sort of shuffle your foot out in front of you to encourage the cat to get the hell out of the way as you walk. They absolutely LOVE to get underfoot, and if they take off because they’re startled or something, they will always, ALWAYS run so that they get under your feet. If you are unstable on your feet at all, I really wouldn’t recommend a cat. I’m fairly sure they’re not all trying to kill us…

I am going to repeat a lot of what was said upthread:

1. Get two cats. When I got my first cat, I was working fulltime outside the home. Apparently, she would cry all day when I was away. So, I got a second. It was rough in the beginning and they still don’t like each other per se but she is much more contented now that she is not alone.

2. Scratching post. Get one (or two or three). Make sure it is at least as tall as your cat is when stretched out (4 feet works for us). Don’t get a two footer. They just can’t use it as effectively.

3. All cats are different. Some (like my little girl) will be really attached to their human (she follows me around the house, comes when she is called, sleeps under the covers with me and will not allow my lap to remain empty should I sit down). Others aren’t keen on people at all. Some don’t imprint on any one human but enjoy the company of all. Some like to be scratched or brushed or snuggled. Some don’t.

Bonus item: if you have trouble getting around, you can always put the kitty litter on a table for easier cleaning. Make sure the cats can get up there but mine prefer more frequent cleaning to ease of entry.

We thought ours was cat-proofed until our 25 pound monster leaped the six-foot fence (I apologize that I did not have a video camera at the time). I was too amazed to stop her.

Which reminds me, some cats are escape artists. The monster above frequently escapes (and then cries at the door to get back in :rolleyes:). I have heard that not all cats come back so you do need to be diligent.

The apartment I plan to move into (it’s not final yet) doesn’t have a yard, but a fenced-in porch. The fence is tall enough to provide privacy but doesn’t “seal” against the ground, so it’s not critter-proof. I think 2 indoor cats would be ideal, but I’ll wait and see once I’ve moved in whether I’m up to keeping cats happy and healthy. No point in having pets if they’re not happy with the arrangement, too.

If your cats aren’t trained to obey commands, it’s simply an issue of you not training them (or trying to train them improperly). You can teach a cat to reliably perform most ‘tricks’ you can teach a dog (or horse or monkey or parrot).

My cats (3 and 6) both come running when called, immediately. They also respond to ‘off’ by quickly jumping off of whatever they were standing on to the floor, ‘no’ by stopping whatever they are doing (usually scratching something), and ‘sit up’ by sitting up on their back legs and begging. These are two cats with very different personalites, but I didn’t find it difficult to teach them these things, using a mixture of positive and negative training.

My dogs (11 and 14) are sketchy with their recall. Both because I haven’t trained them as well as the cats, and because neither of them give a crap about making me happy. Not every dog is a lab or border collie.

This idea of cats as mysterious creatures whose behavior humans can’t hope to modify is frustrating to me. They are simple creatures, with brains that weigh an ounce- any human is capable of conditioning them.

In my life I’ve have had several ‘housetrained’ (who took themselves, or asked to be let out into, the yard to ‘go’ and didn’t have an indoor litterbox) cats. I’ve also trained a cat to fetch before, although I haven’t bothered with my current two.

My cats don’t like each other at all, to my sorrow. Not that my bitch cat likes anyone but me (and only sometimes) - I think that’s the whole problem, because we have lived with other cats before and my younger, sweet cat played with them gently, groomed them and cuddled with them. But they don’t seriously hurt each other when they fight and wrestle, and they have much more exercise and mental stimulation than they would if they didn’t have each other. I support the multiple cat idea.

This is my youngest to a T. He’s my baby. Sitting beside the computer right now, looking at me with love in his eyes, giving a YOW whenever I look at him. He’s needier and more affectionate than both my dogs put together x2.

4-month-old Tikva earned the moniker “Hurricane Tikva” within a few days of living with us.

Or in the case of my Tikva, both at once. (She’s a weird cat).
Something that certain doggish people I know have trouble getting: dogs like “agressive” play. The type where you get up in their face and chase each other around. You run at your dog, generally the dog sees this as an invitation to play tag.
Cats, at least most cats*, need to be approached more gently. You run down the hall in the direction of your cat, the cat puts back her ears and vamooses. You softly enter the room and pet her. Some cats are more easily spooked than others (I live with two very timid cats), but I’d say the vast majority don’t like loud noises and sudden movements.
*There’s no such thing as one universal cat trait, and so you never know. There’s one in every litter…