Cat owners with allergies

While I don’t fit the OP’s definition, I’m rather odd in that yes, I’m allergic to cats. To the point that if I know I’m going to be visiting friends or family with cats, I load up on some allergy-suppressant meds.
However, if I’m consistently around a cat for about 3 days, +/-, my allergy abates rapidly until I’m not bothered by it. The time varies depending upon whether it’s a long-hair or short-hair, and how well the owners dust and/or vacuum.

I’ve had cats my entire adult life. I can’t imagine living without cats. Maybe 25 years ago, I had a round of allergy testing, which showed that I was not allergic to cats (but was allergic to a bunch of other things, the worst being mold and dust mites).

A couple of years ago, I had a nasty asthma flare-up after an upper respiratory infection (otherwise I rarely have asthma symptoms at all and don’t require medication). The doctor recommended that I go for a new round of allergy testing. I was allergic to a bunch of things; mold, dust mites (but not pollen, which surprised me), and yes, cats. But because most of my allergies are to things that I can’t avoid very well anyway, I take daily Claritin anyway, which for me also has no side effects. I’m not giving up my cats, though. And I don’t notice a huge difference in allergy symptoms if I’m away from home and not around cats.

I think I used to be slightly allergic to cats, but still got a kitten. After a while, problems went away. My utterly unscientific theory is that little kitty claws acted like those things that allergy doctors use to introduce tiny bits of allergen to try to get you acclimated to the offending allergy inducer. Did I mention it’s an utterly unscientific theory? I’m now on my fourth cat and the only time I have trouble with allergies is when the forced hot air comes on in the fall.

Yes. This would be very mean and cruel. If this is your plan, please don’t do it.

I don’t have an allergic reaction to cats, which is a very good thing because I am heavily involved in cat rescue. While I want the homeless cats to have homes, I want them to have good homes. A cat that was raised indoors with people really doesn’t do well if suddenly banished outside.

My suggestion would be that you visit your local rescue group, explain your concerns and handle one cat. Only one. See if you have a reaction. If you do, cross that cat off your list, go home, recover and go back and handle a different cat.

I have been told over and over by people who have allergic reactions to cats that they tend to respond differently to different cats. Some do better with long-haired cats, some do better with short hairs. Several people have told me that colors make a difference, which does make sense in a way because the fur texture is different.

Yes, I know that sounds strange, but if one handles a multi-colored cat and pays attention, the lighter colored patches usually (but not always) have a different texture than the darker colors.

I’ve also been told that bathing or wiping the cat down with different things also helps relive the symptoms.

I understand that bunnies make wonderful pets and this is the time of year when many bunny rescue places are full to bursting. Perhaps your wife and daughter might like a bunny? They can also be litterbox trained and are affectionate.