Catholic Church Gives Pedo Preists A Second Helping ... er, Chance ... in South America

All right then, enabling the raping of children is the issue, with a secondary issue of how excuses can be made for it. Happy?

That gives the organization too much credit - its enablement and support of the rapists of children is not the result of its organizational inertia, but of the individuals running that organization, at all levels. Those individuals have their own enablers, among the organization’s adherents, who show quite a powerful ability to excuse themselves behind a curtain of mumbo-jumbo and the delusion of being submissive to God’s will.

Any other human organization can change its own fucking procedures pretty much at will. The only problem is its own delusion, carefully fostered over the centuries, of it being more than that.

Throw the bastards out. No, it isn’t that hard; all it takes is admitting that its own procedures are under its own control. The hard part is accepting that the responsibility for acting is its own, not God’s.

No. The issue is *cultural *within the organization, and within its community of enablers. There is a long-standing culture of child rape and enablement of child rape within it. Its persistence is due to a culture of submissiveness to a human organization that merely purports to be the agents of God, while violating anything it can point to as God’s teachings. Framing the RCC’s fundamental problems as a mere procedural matter, one they are so powerless to deal with that they aren’t even really trying, is evading responsibility, and evading basic morality as well - what its primary function should be.

Don’t participate in the enablement, please.

Yep, that’s an opinion, alright. That and a few bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

I’ve given up trying to parse this sentence.

And even what is said by a Pope ex cathedra can be changed – right? I mean, the doctrine of papal infallibility is just like saying the SCOTUS has the last word on interpretation of American law – of course at any time the SCOTUS can reverse any previous SCOTUS ruling, but until then all judges in America must take the most recent ruling as controlling. Is it not exactly the same with papal pronouncements on faith and morals? No pope is absolutely bound by a previous pope’s ex cathedra pronouncements – nor, for that matter, by his own earlier in his reign – is he?

Well, clearly they are not immutable laws of any kind, whether natural or spiritual or theological or political or philosophical or logical/mathematical, because they’re always changing. See previous post, and see Catholic doctrinal history.

The Pope can, at any rate; see previous post. And perhaps a General Council can, and perhaps a General Council can even override the Pope – has that question ever been clearly settled?

Isn’t “Because we have this set of procedures we’ve written for ourselves that we are virtually helpless to change” about the weakest conceivable excuse there could ever be? Who else would you take that kind of shit from?

That is the actual fact of the matter. You’ve decided to believe the nonsense they tell you, but in reality, they are an utterly mundane organization with no more supernatural insight than Scientologists.

People have been hearing voices in their heads for a long, long time. But today we have meds for it.

In theory, at least, this is wrong. The pope cannot override the ex cathedra and purportedly infallible statements uttered by a previous pope. YMMV about whether this happens in practice.

No. You’re certainly correct about the Supreme Court. Lawrence v Texas explicitly overruled *Bowers v. Hardwick. *

But the Supreme Pontiff has never, and will never, purport to change his own or any other Pope’s ex cathedra announcements. Of course every Pope is bound by infallible statements by his predecessors.

No. YMMV as to whether it might be attempted in the future, I suppose. But no one can credibly claim it has actually, present tense, happens, or has happened in the past.

Consider my choice of phrasing to indicate not an opinion as to whether church teaching has ever been changed, but rather an “I’d like to indicate firmly that I’m staying out of any argument about church teaching”. Truth be told, the only thing I had in mind was church teaching on usury, which may not have been issued ex cathedra.

I won’t argue that the RCC has made no effort to resolve this. But blaming the current state of affairs on trying to deal with things in too much haste in 2002 is a bit much. There have been 13 years since then to revisit the issue. And yes, it boggles my mind (a) that the Vatican is keeping no central registry of such allegations, and (b) that there has been no apparent effort by the Church to bring the bishops to justice who knowingly shunted the child-abusing priests from one parish to another. What’s Cardinal Law up to these days? Three Popes are complicit in his avoidance of responsibility.

That’s nice, but that is fundamentally a conversation that the Church is having with itself. In a dialogue between the Church and the rest of the world, I have to second Elvis when he asks, “Isn’t ‘Because we have this set of procedures we’ve written for ourselves that we are virtually helpless to change’ about the weakest conceivable excuse there could ever be?”

But out of sheer curiosity, a question: you’ve got something that, from the outside, looks like a hierarchy. Working your way up, you’ve got priests, then bishops, then archbishops, then cardinals, and the Pope at the top of the whole shebang.

Even supposing that the only difference between a cardinal and an archbishop is that a cardinal gets to vote on who the next Pope is, what exactly does an archbishop do? Is he just the bishop of a more important bishopric (that’s the term, right?), or what? Because if archbishops and cardinals have no authority over bishops, then WTF is it that they do??

Last I heard, he’s retired and still hiding in Rome, but he did ooze out of the woodwork a few years ago to Launch a crackdown of US nuns for not working hard enough against gay marriage, abortion, and birth control.

And, like any large organization, it has a culture, in which certain behaviors are encouraged and others discouraged, and an insiders-vs.-outsiders mentality. Also, like any large organization, it is composed of humans. The only distinction is their claim to be doing God’s will, not their own, and the number of followers they have who believe that too, the evidence notwithstanding.

I think the term “bishopric” is used only by the Mormon church to refer to the bishop and his consultors. I could be wrong. But in the Roman Catholic Church, that term is not used; a diocese is the entity run by a bishop.

Archbishops are bishops of more important dioceses, called metropolitan dioceses, reflecting the general history that such diocese are centered on large and politically important cities.

A metropolitan archdiocese is grouped with several particular churches, which are usually[sup]*[/sup] lesser dioceses. These are called suffragan dioceses.

I don’t blame you for hearing this and inferring that there is some sort of supervision or reporting hierarchy in the arrangement, but there is not. Under canon law, the metropolitan archbishop has just a couple of minor privileges in the suffragan dioceses. He may, without express advance permission from the suffragan bishop, celebrate Mass in the suffragan diocese. And if the suffragan see becomes vacant – the suffragan bishop dies, resigns, retires, or is transferred and takes canonical possession of his new office, AND the college of consultors in that now leaderless diocese fails to appoint a diocesan administrator, then the archbishop is entitled to do so.

That’s about it. He’s called upon to “see that faith and ecclesiastical discipline are carefully observed” in his suffragan dioceses, but all he’s empowered to do as a result is notify the Pope if there are any flaws. He doesn’t have any power of governance.

Cardinals are likewise not the bosses of archbishops, or of bishops.

Even the resignation of bishops for age is encumbered by the strong presumption of the unfettered authority a bishop exercises. Note Code of Canon Law Can. 401 relating to resignations:

The canon law recognizes that the church does not consider itself empowered to mandate even that a bishop unsuited for office must resign – instead, he is “urgently requested” to resign.
*Could also be a territorial prelature, a territorial abbacy, a vicariate apostolic, a prefecture apostolic or a permanently established apostolic administration.

Current state of affairs? We have five alleged incidents in those thirteen years and we have not yet seen exactly what happened in each case. And, aside from various complaints against priests who abused children and were moved rather than being defrocked prior to 2002, this appears to be the first occasion that the 2002 rules seem to have failed.

A number of bishops have been brought to account. Whether all those who should have been held responsible have been, I don’t know.

You don’t? Why don’t you just make a wild stab in the dark as to whether all those involved in the coverups/transfers etc. have been held responsible? :rolleyes:

That seems to be more your task.

Not even going to hazard a guess as to whether all those responsible have been held responsible?

Here’s a hint: Bernard Law.