[QUOTE=Carol Stream]
[Quote=Siege]
Siege
I’ve got to agree with Don’t Call Me Shirley. Recently, some women in my city were ordained as Catholic priests. Their ordination was ruled invalid and they have been excommunicated, as is the Catholic Church’s privilege.
[/quote]
This whole statement is factually incorrect.
The women were not ordained as Catholic priests, because anyone who claimed to have “ordained” them, did not have the authority to do so.
The “ordination” was not “ruled invalid”, it wasn’t valid to begin with.
The women and whomever “ordained” them, excommunicated themselves from the Church, of their own volition, not by any action of the Church.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t really feel like quibbling over semantics today, although I do concede that my use of the word “ordained” is a shorthand term for what actually occurred. It seemed reasonable under the circumstances. Here’s a link to one of the first newspaper articles on this event (there were several). Note that the headline itself reads, “Defying church, 12 Catholic women to be ordained here”. The article and I are fully aware that the ritual performed, whatever you want to call it, was not in accordance with Vatican policy and that the Catholic heirarchy strongly disapproved of it. Personally, I think the women are a bunch of fools for even trying it, given the Catholic Church’s policy on women priests. In my opinion, if they were set on ordination, they’d be more than welcome to join the Episcopal Church which, as Polycarp noted, not only has women priests but now has a woman as its head in the American branch.
By the way, this related article makes some interesting points regarding excommunication and self-excommunication which may be relevant to this discussion. I was wrong when I said they’d been excommunicated, by the way.
My point is that while there is no doubt that the women in this story openly defied the Catholic Church’s teachings and I have no problem with them being discplined, the priests who had sexual relations with boys, girls, and, in at least one case, a married women also defied the Catholic Church’s teachings, only this time on celibacy. Unlike the would-be priests, I can’t believe that when they did so, they did so out of a desire to serve God and their church. Their sin was every bit as willful and knowing as the women’s and did active harm to people. Still not only did they face the prospect of excommunication, they weren’t even removed from the priesthood. Yes, I believe God forgives sin. On the other hand, I don’t believe He removes the consequences of sin and the consequences the Catholic Church inflicted on the married men who tried to become priests are far graver than the ones the church inflicted on the priests who molested children. I’m afraid I don’t put a woman who wants to become a priest in the same category as a kiddy-diddler (I’d better not – I’ve considered the priesthood), and I do think the consequences of being the latter should be greater than the consequences of being the former. Given that some of the priests who were caught molesting children in one parish went on to do so again in others, I’m also not quite as sanguine about their repentence.