Cease and desist?

Doublet, not couplet:

As others have said cease and desist do have distinct meanings. Cease means to stop if you’re doing it now and desist means to not do it in the future. There are cases where a distinction is made. For example, let’s say the police stop you when you’re driving with an expire inspection. You made be told you can drive your vehicle home but not to drive it anywhere else. That’s being told to desist but not to cease. Or let’s say you get thrown out of a movie theatre for being rowdy but you’re not banned from future showings at the theatre. That’s being told to cease but not desist.

An illustration of the difference between breaking and entering.

You forgot the “That’ll be $350.37, please.”

Did you time slip back to the 70s or something? That’ll run you at least a grand today.

I thought they charge $350.37 per paragraph.

Per word, around here.

“Give, devise. amd bequeath” is a triplet from estate law, e.g. in wills. IANAL, but I believe that at one time one term referenced the passing by will of real property and another of personal property, and it was important to ensure you matched the right term to the right giving of property. Anyone who can expand on that?

Not listed, but how about NEGATIVE PREGNANT.

2911.13 Breaking and entering.

(A) No person by force, stealth, or deception, shall trespass in an unoccupied structure, with purpose to commit therein any theft offense, as defined in section 2913.01 of the Revised Code, or any felony.

(B) No person shall trespass on the land or premises of another, with purpose to commit a felony.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of breaking and entering, a felony of the fifth degree.

Effective Date: 07-01-1996
BURGLARY is in an OCCUPIED structure, by definition, 2911.12

lawbuff, in what sense is “negative pregnant” a legal doublet? It doesn’t contain the word “and” and it doesn’t contain two words with the same meaning:

It would have been redundant and repetitive.

The OP mention redundancy, so how can you have a pregnancy that is negative, a play on a real pregnancy in legal terms.

This is why we have judges. I’m pretty sure what Hello Again is what this comes down to:

A judge would have the authority to say to anyone trying to split hairs that “cease” does in fact mean “from this point on,” as far as the court is concerned.

IOW, the judge would have the authority to say that legal precedent supersedes linguistic quibbles over semantics.

lawbuff, how are the words “pregnant” and “negative” redundant?

In Ohio, anyway. I don’t believe that’s true for New York.

A will (LW&T, if you will :)) bequeaths personal property while it devises real property. I don’t think it is crucial that you match the right word. Usually they are all lumped together, anyway. A person who receives personal property under a will is a legatee. One receiving real property is a devisee.

Really?
I seem to recall in an antique police procedural (and perhaps the film Legal Eagles) the notion being put forth that an unlocked door constituted and invitation to enter, legally. That if you left the front door unlocked, folks who entered thereby were not committing a crime (yet).
Which is part of why I keep my door locked when I’m home.

I doubt that a person entering your home uninvited is entering by your consent merely because the door was unlocked. He would be guilty of at least trespassing. In fact, he would not have to enter your house to be trespassing. Merely being on your property uninvited would be a trespass.

Entering an open door is not a break in, but is still a trespass. Opening a closed but unlocked door or window is legally a break. This is explicitly mentioned in the previous cite: