Cecil's Lousy Call Letter Answer (repost)

The reason may not be strange. For example, KMUW, Wichita, was licensed to the Municipal University of Wichita, now Wichita State University. Alas, the call KWSU had already been scarfed up by the University of Washington, so KMUW is stuck with its obsolete call.

I think there may be another reason they didn’t change their call letters…

Actually, that would be Washington State University (in Pullman; known colloquially as ‘Wazzu’). The University of Washingon (in Seattle) has two radio stations: KUOW and KCMU (that last is from the abbreviation for the Communications department).

If an infinite number of monkeys masturbate for an infinite time, will they eventually produce a haploid offspring?

^^ Can you see me waving my penis at you? Look to your right. :slight_smile:

I’m quite partial to the Segoe font family and Calibri font style typefaces, as I find them particularly beneficial to my poor eyesight, probably due to the fact that they are optimized for ClearType screen settings.

This has got to be the mother of all zombie threads. marcin_bykowski, you might not be aware of this, but Tracer posted what you are responding too back in 2001 (the thread itself dates back to 1999), so don’t hold your breath for a reply. :wink: Oh, and welcome to the board.

Hell, the CR is so cheap they’re still considering letting Zotti upgrade from a VIC-20 to a C-64.

I must add that call letters and call signs are not the same in the USN.

We had a captain that was voted all American while playing football as a half back for Annapolis Naval Academy, but by the time he made full commander and captain of our submarine, fifty years ago that is, way back in 1963.

He was very highly thought of by the older brass. So he picked the call sign, “Big Daddy” for our submarine which just happened to be the best and the largest diesel submarine the USN ever had the USS Salmon SS-573.

As for call letters I must also add that the good people of New England have a different way to pronounce their radio stations. While working as a young radio news boy for a radio station out of Connecticut I will never forget the owner calling me in one day and saying. “young man this radio station is called double U (WSUB”) "not doubya (WSUB). You see I was from the south and had added a southern drawl to my W.

I went on to other endeavors, but I can ever forget being chastened by the owner that day.

if we are dealing with memory lane,

50+ years ago, I was the ‘remote’ director for our college radio station, WVKC, and, as I always said, it was the ‘Wadio Voice of Knox College’.

I was just a farm boy getting my first taste of ‘class’, but I was in good company. The technical manager was a fellow named _________, also a local farm boy, who had a sterling career as a lawyer in Chicago, followed by taking the presidency of Knox College for 10+ years. We were honored to hold part of our recent 50th class reunion in his old farm barn, renovated to handle gatherings.

This poster was listed as a “guest,” while in the same thread someone claiming to be TubaDiva deleted a post, claiming that the poster was an “idiot.” Is Idol Springs really an idiot, or did he realize that the current TubaDiva is a sock?

Sorry, should have said “troll.”

Doesn’t get you off the hook, kiddo. Just who are you and what did you do with the original TubaDiva?

It’s a problem with very old threads. When we switched to vB (sometime in 2000), the older posts sometimes lost the poster name, replaced with “guest.”