Celebrities who openly loathe each other

Okay, maybe this is the place to ask. Apparently I have been out of the loop for a good, long while so could someone explain to me what happened between Chevy Chase and the other original “not-ready-for-prime-time-players”?

I noticed their conspicuous absence at his recent Friar’s Club roast.

Michael Keaton and Sean Young
Paul Newman and Charlton Heston
Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis
Steve Martin and Anne Heche
Eddie Murphy and David Spade

So can anyone tell me how that feuding sibling pair of Shirley McLaine and Warren Beatty are going these days? Thought they avoided each other like the plague for decades.

Coincidentally enough, I was just watching Rebecca last night with my mom and we were wondering about Joan Fontaine’s long-standing feud with her sister, Olivia de Havilland. Are they both still living and, if so, is that feud still going on?

Some of the clashes that I have quesions about:
Mel Gibson and Gay men. How come?

Julia Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland. How so?

David Letterman and Jay Leno. They don’t hate eachother, do they? I heard they handle eachother pretty well.

Julia Roberts left Kiefer Sutherland at the altar right out of the blue. If I was him I’d be pissed too.

Leno and Letterman have a history of pretty nasty rivalry, but “loathe” is far too strong a word; they respect each other according to most sources. Leno has a lot of nice words for Letterman in his book, and tells some funny stories about them.

Regis and Kathy Lee

I think Julia and Kiefer were engaged when she ran off with someone else.

I’ve also heard (rumor again) that Mel Gibson is very homophobic.

It’s often interesting to watch celebs who obviously hate each other but have to work together.

It was pretty clear to most progressive rock fans of the 70s that Keith Emerson and Greg Lake couldn’t stomach each other, but stayed together for the money (Carl Palmer SEEMED to get along with both).

All the former members of The Police

John Popper of Blues Traveller and Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes.

Oasis and Blur

Val Kilmer and Arnold Schwarzenegger

I’ve heard that Chevy Chase was hired to be just a writer for SNL but he who constantly wrote himself into scenes to get on TV and further his career. This annoyed a lot of cast members, including John Belushi, who was pissed that Chevy became a big star.

Supposedly his famous “I’m Chevy Chase and you’re not” line was directed at Belushi.

Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour, or possibly Roger Waters and all of the current Pink Floyd.

Elton John and Keith Richards.

Joan Rivers and Johnny Carson.

Heck, Joan Rivers and practically anybody with talent…

Also, Chase is a substance abusing prick of a human being. The first time he returned for a guest appearance he and Bill Murray literally came to blows over his belittling of other cast members and scene hogging. In the book LIVE FROM NEW YORK, several cast members from after his time report being thrilled when he hosted the show but quickly came to hate him for his abusive attitude and unfunny/cruel “insult comedy” backstage.

Most of the animosity between Gibson and gays dates to an interview he gave on Spanish television in which he trashed gays as perverts and made some crude jokes on the subject. Also, his movies have a nasty tendency of perpetuating stereotypes (the swishy hairdressers in BIRD ON A WIRE, the nelly who’s chucked out a window in the historically execrable BRAVEHEART, etc.).

I can’t confirm this, but I read somewhere that Marlon Brando really hates Frank Oz.

Val Kilmer and Marlon Brando- they hated each other on the set of DR. MOREAU (Brando to Kilmer: You’re mistaking a large paycheck for talent.)

Another great rivalry from the past: John Houseman and Orson Welles (though they officially reconciled in the 1980s). Houseman felt, quite rightly, that Welles had screwed him out of the credit for their early collaborations up to and including Kane.

Jim Carrey and Renee Zelwegger had a nasty break up, but I’ve heard they’ve patched things up.

And Miss Piggy stole the adnoids of Fozzy.

Another famous and true rivalry: Sir Alec Guinness and Yoda. “Let that damned green thing say it…”

Ry Cooder and Mick Jagger. Cooder claimed that Jagger stole the riff from “Honkey Tonk Woman” from him and had been contemptuous of Jagger’s reputation. Jagger had the Stones release “Jammming with Edward,” and sold it at a bargain basement price since it featured Cooder.

Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were at each others throats when the played for Cream; Clapton had to be the peacemaker.

Some classics:

Rod Staiger and Marlon Brando.

Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe (Curtis: “Kissing you is like kissing Hitler”)

Mary McCarthy and Lillian Hellman. (McCarthy: “every word she writes is a lie, including ‘and’ and ‘the.’”)

Mae West and W. C. Fields

Joe Tinker and Johnny Evers (leaving nothing to Chance)

No, no, no, no, no.

There really is no trouble between these two. As a matter a fact, Dave used to consider Jay his favorite guest on his late night show. Dave has always thought he should have gotten the Tonight Show, but there has never been hatred between the two.

They are no longer as friendly as they used to be, though, but this comes from their competition more than anything else.

Tina Louise and the rest of the cast of Gilligan’s Island, especially Bob Denver. According to the interviews and writtend accounts I’e seen, Tina Louise was an egotistical bitch who demanded star treatment on an ensemble show.