Celebrities you've met

The only celebs I’ve met are only celebs in Canada, and not superstars even here, by any stretch of the imagination. I used to work at a hotel restaurant where some of them stayed. Trooper, Darby Mills (of the Headpins), Tom Cochrane (he would take two drags off of each cigarette, put it out, and light a new one. I was changing his ashtray constantly), and ummm… tons of bands I’d never heard of. We had lots of roadies there regularly. Oh, and Elizabeth Manley (Olympic figure skater). Out of all of them, the guys from Trooper were the friendliest. My sister introduced me to a guy she knows who is on the (Canadian) show North of 60, but since I never watched the show, I really don’t know who he is or played. My sister used to know lots of Canadian muscicians in her younger days. She actually had a blind date set up with Bryan Adams before he was really famous, but decided to move away from the city before they ever went out. She travelled around with Loverboy for a while.

Seems to me that I’ve met a few more Canadian celebs, but it being early in the morning, I can’t think of who.

Let’s see…

Ran into Rodney Dangerfield one night at a convenience store. I wanted cigarettes, he wanted Alka-Seltzer. He told me to go wash my car. :smiley:

Also in Vegas, I spoke (briefly) to Mike Tyson at a 7-11 off of Desert Inn road. My car was washed this time, and I felt kinda studly, being young, in Vegas, and driving around in a new Camaro. In pulls Iron Mike in a bran new Viper. Kinda let the air out of my ego. Plus, he wasn’t wearing a shirt, and his physique made me look like a toad.

South of Vegas, I rode a rollercoaster with Carrot Top. He was actually kinda meek. His leg was broken at the time, so he might have been on painkillers.

At work, I made glasses for Teller, of Penn and Teller. Teller is not only a very nice man, he is remarkably well-spoken.

Loni Anderson and I exchanged pleasantries on a plane from Vegas to Orlando.

Currently, I work mere blocks from the training facilities of both the Denver Broncos and Colorado Avalanche. Running into any of them is an everyday thing.

I have shaken hands with Ronald Reagan, J. Danforth Quayle, Jay Leno, and Norman Schwartzkopf.

And, as a footnote, I have personally made fun of Scott O’ Grady, to his face.

Whew. I know there are others, but my fingers are tired.

When I was in the Army Reserve I had the “pleasure” of meeting then V.P. Dan Quayle. I also had the honor of meeting Gen. Powell.

I’ve also met a number of “has-been” musicians…Survivor, REO Speedwagon, Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme), and Enuff Z’nuff.

From my trailer park days (that’s a joke), I’ve met Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, The Rock, Mick Foley, Sting and a number of other pro wrestlers that I’m sure you’ve never heard of.

Add Stan Mikita, Kevin Butler and Jerry Springer to the list. Why can’t I meet any “A-list” celebrities?

I had dinner with Bob Geldof. We were at a concert in Athens, Greece, and one of the girls I was with was a BIG Bob Geldof fan, and it was her birthday. She and another girl took off halfway through the concert to go ask the bouncer guy if they could possibly get a picture with Bob, it being her birthday and all. The bouncer took once look at them and said “Are you here with other girls?” and they said “yes” and he said “Why don’t you get your friends and we’ll all go out after the show.” They came screaming back to us, and we ditched the guys and got on the tour bus. Sure enough, we ended up at the “Memphis” bar - mere blocks from our apartment - drinking and eating with Bob and the boys. They were very nice, and although the roadies hit on us hard, Bob and the band were polite and really not interested in taking advantage of us young uns’

Damn MrC. how’d you run into all those people - Sheesh. Some of the stories here are fantastic (IMHO of course!). As for me, I’ve only run into a few semi/famous musicians. I haven’t met any big time celebs (reading this thread, im jealous of you guys). As for Bill Gates, my dad does business deals with him from time to time. And I have his home phone number (I stole it from my dad–I don’t call him though). I guess not many people can say they have the richest man in the worlds phone #. :smiley:

neither can you if you don’t have Larry Ellsion’s phone number.

http://www.canadacomputes.com/v2/story/1,1378,3756,00.html

I met Ray Davies of the Kinks out in the parking lot of the theater where he was performing his solo show. I thought he was very nice, he flirted with me a bit but not in a creepy way. The show was also great.

On the political front, I met the Bangali Prime Minister and ambassador at a social function. One of the American Secret Servicemen present hit on me in what most assuredly was a creepy way.

I had my picture taken with Jerry Falwell once. I considered attacking him, but decided to go the ironic route rather than the violent one. I was wearing my “Execution of Justice” cast shirt (with a Harvey Milk quote on the back) that day, which Falwell either did not notice or did not understand the significance of. He thought I was one of his fans or something. Mwahahahahah.

I almost met Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and his wife Beth Liebling of Hovercraft years ago, but I was a dumb teenager and too starstruck to approach them.

When I was 12, I was on the same plane as Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. I wrote him a stupid note (I was 12!!) and asked him if he would take a picture with me when the plane landed. I swear the note was a full page of gush, and he wrote back, OK ST. But I got my picture taken with him.

Also, Edie Brickell and most of the New Bohemians went to the same HS as I did (albeit several years before me) – the “Fame” type high school in Dallas – and they came and visited when I was a dorky freshman and they were at the height of their 15 minutes. I was ridiculously chosen to introduce her around, and I kept saying “Edie Brickell” like her last name rhymed with “pickle”. It wasn’t until the end of the day I found out I was wrong.

In mu 5 years of waiting tables across the street from a big club, I met tons of Dallas athletes. The Cowboys are the worst – they have huge hands and they grab your ass incessently. Good tippers tho.

Wow… I haven’t really met anyone famous, except locally:

Jah Works, an awesome local band I love
Marty Bass, a local weatherman/colorful personality

Also I have met:

Barenaked Ladies at a concert I won backstage passes to, and
Bill Clinton, when I did volunteer work in DC.

Everyone always asks me about him, and for the record he was a perfect gentlemen. We actually talked for a few minutes (he was interested in my high school program, International Baccalaureate, and asked me about some other stuff).

Also, I met Al Gore, Rep. Nancy Hubers, Rep. Mike Collins, Se. Barbara Mikulski, and Parris Glendenning, more local folks.

And last but not least…RUDY! I forget his last name, but he was that football player with his own movie and whatnot. He did some motivational speeches at my school, he was one groovy dude. Wrote me a college recommendation. :slight_smile:

I used to managa a movie theater that was also the site of an international film festival, so celebrities I met included Warren Beatty & Annette Bening, Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Nicolas Cage & Patricia Arquette, Elliot Gould, Terence Stamp, Karl Malden…

I also met Ray Bradbury when I was a kid

True, I can’t say that, but…

I have his Dad’s phone number :o)

A few years ago, literally almost walked in Winona Ryder walking down the street in my hometown. It also happens to be her hometown. I also almost walked right into Angela Davis, but that was less exciting, as she is a professor at my university and I worked in the same building her office was in, although I rarely saw her about. She isn’t exactly a movie star, but she’s the only prof at UCSC to have a Rolling Stones song written about her!

I’ve met and seen a number of Israeli politicians who are famous there, anyway, including the president, but that’s not all that amazing, because it’s such a small country.

I wish I had met some famous people. Lets see. I met… Paul Hann (3 times actually. He’s a childrens entertainer btw that was years ago) I babysit the lead singer of a local band’s child. (Jim Hoey lead singer of Oscar Wild… he’s not famous yet but he might be eventually. They did open for April Wine… also him and his wife have a tv show… The Dimestore Fisherman… local as well)

Um… thats all I’ve met. I could have met MyTown but I wasn’t gonna stand in line for an hour or more to get their autograph. I was starving by that time too so I went and had some food before I flaked out.

I see celebs all the time here in sunny SoCal. But to my shame, I become completely star-struck and tongue-tied around them.

Damn, I meant Tony RANDALL, not Reynolds- very stuck-up.

As far as Politicians go, when I was a Kid, my dad had me shake hands with JFK. I was a Delegate for Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson, and met a few others (“Big Daddy” Unruh, “Travelin Sam” Yorty, “Sleepy Sam” Hayakawa, etc). Now I am a minor “volunteer” politico*, so sometimes when Bigwigs come into town, they line us up and we shake hands. Haven’t done Clinton, yet, tho.

• no pay or anything, but I get to be called “Commissioner”, and boy, does that work when you call to complain about a pothole, or something.

How could I forget Sam?!? I’m horrible! Aaagh!

I didn’t even think of it… I never really though of him as “Bruce Boxleitner’s son”, although he WAS a celebrity to our group; his band, Butter Side Down (great music, by the way) is a legend among my circle of friends.

Oh well… I’m a dope… I’m in the right place! :slight_smile:

I can vouch for Mr. Cynical’s description of Teller. I’ve had dinner with Penn & Teller. Early on, when we weren’t getting any service in our special room off of the main restaurant, the fire alarm went off. People initially assumed it was them – but just a coincidence.

I think that this thread belongs over in MPSIMS, don’t you?
B’bye. :slight_smile:

Met Madeleine L’Engle (author of A Wrinkle in Time and numerous other books) on a couple of her book-signing tours. A couple of her books have solutions involving going back in time and fixing things there before they snowball; I spoke with her for a few minutes, one of those times, on the moral problems that that solution creates. Neat lady.

Well I met Arnold Schwarzenegger (how ever you spell it) when he was filming T2. It was at the set of the whole office sceen, where Arnold breaks the windows and sprays bullets at all the cops, not killing any but injuring all of them. That office building was in Milpitas and it was pretty cool to see torched cop cars and stuff like that lying in the parking lot. Arnold was on the sidewalk signing autographs and stuff like that. He seemed nice, but then again he was in “fan mode” so he would have to be nice.

And I met George Bush Sr. (while he was still Prez) when he landed in my backyard in a helicopter. :slight_smile:

Ok, well maybe not quite my bckyard but pretty damn close. I lived right next to my high school and where my backyard ended, there was a fence, and then the school’s field started. It was used for soccer and football practice and baseball practice. Well Mr. Prez landed on that field in his helicopter plus two other identical helicoptors, and a fourth helicopter landed with all the press. He came out to the edge of the field and shook hands with everyone and talked to people, it was pretty cool. Then he got in his limo and was taken away to a recycling plant that was supposed to be pretty advanced at the time and was doing some important stuff, all this according to the newspaper. Hated the guy as Prez, but he was a nice guy when I met him.

Incidentally the press heli was a massive duel rotor deal and it was so heavy it busted the sprinkler pipes in the field. For 3 years that field was constantly muddy, until we finally got it replaced. Of course, my high school was never compensated for the damage done. Bastard.

-N