Cell Phones?

If Cincinatti is a roaming area for you, calling Tony will be long distance and roaming. Whether the phone is in roaming or not has nothing to do with the number being called, only the location of the phone. Whether the call is long distance or not has nothing to do with the location of the phone, only the number being called.

Okay, just making sure I’m reading you right.

With my provider, the location of a cellular phone has bearing on the matter. When I take my cellular phone into a different market, calls I make to that same market are considered local for me. If I call back to my home market from the one I’ve set up shop in, it’s a long-distance call for me.

At the same time, if someone from the market I’ve traveled to calls my cellular phone, it’s long-distance for them, local for me. If someone from my home market calls my cellular phone, it’s local for them, but long-distance for me.

It’s screwy, but it all comes out good in the end. :slight_smile: What was intended to be a 10 minute overview of how this worked in class turned into about an hour of “What If” scenarios I hope to never have to go through again!

Ahh. That’s slightly odd, but makes sense. I’ve never paid that much attention to the long-distance-while-traveling thing, since my plans have always had long distance included.

Heh, the only reason I know it is because I’m not only a user, I’m an employee :wink:

According to Finnish television, Finland will go to the “4G” within 5 years. This means that everyone is calling through Internet, and it will cost more to print the telephone-bills than the actual telephone-cost is.
This means that everyone will have a Internet connection that he pays for and the calling with telephones will be free within the network.
In reality all new built houses has already a light-cable to every appartment, so You pay for the Internet, either You want or not, when You pay for Your rent.
The light-cable can push some tera-bits of information every second. Some 3.000 movies in digital format per second.

The network will be probably at that time (2007 - 2008) = Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

Here in Finland, almost every child that is in school age, from 7 years up, has a mobil-phone.
The pensioneers has them so that they can call if they need some help.

Henry

It’s the greatest and most useful invention of all time.

Now everyone knows where everyone else is. The usual conversation:

“I’m on the train.”
“I’m in Oxford Street.”
“I’m near Town Hall.”
“I’ll be home in two minutes.”

How did we survive without it?

I have survived just fine without one. I don’t even answer my phone at home (too many damn junk calls).

With some people their cell phone is a neurotic obsession. I have seen people waiting in line at a concert, talking to each other using their cell phones. I see people at sporting events talking to each other, waving in the air, “you see me?”. Cell phones ringing in the movie theater, and people having the audacity to answer the call. Then of course there’s always the cell phone chauffeurs, people who drive with their cell phone plastered to their ear. And the people at the grocery store gabbing away at full volume, sharing their conversation with everyone else at the store. I would imagine there are cell phones ringing in church every Sunday morning. Can’t forget the cell phone maniacs, people that sit and stare at the damn thing, can’t stand that they haven’t got a call in the last 30 seconds, so they start calling out, dialing down there speed-call list. Usually the conversation goes something like this:

Hey Bob this is Joe.

Hey Joe, what's up?

I’m at the hardware store.

Oh, OK.

See ya later.

OK, bye.

Hey Sam this is Joe.

Hey Joe, what's up?

I’m at the hardware store.

Oh, OK.

See ya later.

OK, bye.

I suppose I will have to get one eventually. When I do I’m going to get a ring-tone that sounds like a big noisy fart.

This is different from my experience with Verizon. If I call New Mexico from San Diego I pay long distance. But with the phone in New Mexico calling New Mexico I do not pay long distance.