Changes to Randi's Challenge

That’s your invention, and has no connection to my statement whatsoever.

I did not invent that you insulted me in the previous post.

The inference is clear, if there is a threat then the test should end, if it continues one has to consider the “threat” was considered a challenge and accepted or the “threat” was invented by you.

Why are these clowns allowed to operate in the first place? We shouldn’t need the “Amazing Randi”, just the State Attornies General

In your dreams. You have no basis for saying that other than obsessive hate for anyone that doesn’t worship Randi as much as you do.

www.proverandiwrong.net

Randi made the statement that dowsers can always find water, because there is water under 94% of the Earth’s surface, and issued a challenge to “find a dry spot”

I accepted the challenge he set.

Randi backed out of the challenge he issued.

Arthur Lintgen, tested by Randi. Before the test, Randi thought he was a fraud. After the test, Randi agreed that he does have the claimed ability, but that it isn’t paranormal.

click on the linked articles which detail Randi’s involvement.

And see Randi’s comment here :
http://www.randi.org/jr/110102.html

A list of examples would be a very long essay in itself. Too long to fit in this margin. For one example, see the response to Mike Guska, which is another of your requested cites a bit later.

Its pretty rare that anyone agrees to his test protocols.

see : http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72482-0.html?tw=rss.index

this shows how seldom tests are actually carried out.

see previous answer.

But Randi has talked about a 100% success rate on other occasions.

Here’s one : http://ncas.org/eyes/SE-15.1.pdf (WARNING PDF DOCUMENT)

Randi states explicitly in this that the required rate is 100%

cite already given at length.

The fact that glee gave it as a “typical” example of Randi’s test. As Randi has done himself on numerous occasion. This is presented by Randi and his supporters as a typical example of what dowsers do.

http://www.randi.org/jr/2006-08/080406move.html#i6
http://www.randi.org/jr/2006-08/081106inthemail.html#i7

My experience has shown me that most of his followers know that he’s a liar. They just don’t care. As long as his lies spread hate against paranormalists, they support him.

I did no such thing. You invented an opinion for me. That is a fact.

Yes, indeed. And most people are not cowed by Randi’s threat at all. They refuse to take a test where Randi threatens them. But Mike Guska was one of a very small number of people that Randi was able to intimidate.

Oh good, that cite does mention a challenge to Silvia Brown, too bad it turned to be not needed, Silvia just demonstrated recently once again what a fraud she is:

Have you ever pondered that there are indeed other reasons why it is that they do not agree to his protocols?

BTW, you are indeed barking up the wrong tree more than ever here, you need to demonstrate your ability to others in academia first, get to work, it should be easy.

:rolleyes:

There you go again, inventing opinions for me.

What exactly do you imagine that I need to demonstrate to anyone?

Please do tell me. I really want to know. Seriously. What exactly is on your mind?

I don’t claim any paranormal powers.

Oh, I don’t deny that *some * people with claimed paranormal powers are frauds as big as Randi is.

But most of them are sincere in their beliefs, and willing to demonstrate them. They are willing to be tested by proper scientists. They just refuse to be tested by Randi, because Randi is a known cheat.

That is the point in your case.

Like I said before in a different thread, you are indeed barking up the wrong tree, and even so, your claims then should be able to be tested by other agency and they will support you with less trouble than Randi would give you. :dubious:

However I expect to hear very little from you on that endeavor too.

** Peter Morris **

[Moderator Hat ON]

OK, Peter, that’s enough of that. If you want to take shots at GIGObuster we have a perfectly fine BBQ Pit for that.
[Moderator Hat OFF]

[QUOTE=GIGObuster]
That is the point in your case. /QUOTE]

The point being what?

What are you trying to say?

I don’t know that the law is particularly well equipped to handle prosecution of purveyors of the paranormal. Merely claiming you can do something paranormal would rarely if ever be illegal. No doubt there are instances where claims of the paranormal are made in circumstances where money changes hands and a fraud or similar crime is committed. To be fair to the A-G’s, one does hear of persons who are prosecuted for that sort of thing, from time to time.

However, much of the time the whole activity is so vague and gray that I suspect it would be hard to make charges fit. Particularly as regards some of the activity of high profile paranormalists like say Sylvia Browne or John Edward. What do they promise, exactly? When I’ve seen the latter on TV, his show is stated to be just for entertainment. I don’t doubt that Sylvia’s famous $700 phone consulting sessions are similarly ringed about with legal disclaimers. I don’t doubt that they’ve had good legal advice and know where the lines are that they are not to cross.

I suspect that attempts to push fraud or other charges would have significant scope to backfire. If a high profile prosecution fails on a technicality, or due to lack of evidence or whatever, you know what the paranormalist is going to claim subsequently, don’t you?

Nectar is attracted to bees?

So I could have said “your entire post” and you would have started digging for cites?

No hope that you’ll understand this, since it’s been explained to you without effect many times before, but I do not worship Randi. Very, very, very few people do, if anyone at all.

I responded to this before you even said it.

You forget that I was the one who told you about this. It wasn’t for the Million Dollar Challenge, and it was Lintgen who said his ability wasn’t paranormal. Read your own cites: “At no time was the prize offered, at no time did he try to claim it.”

And, given the applications that are visible to everyone, why do you think that is?

Did you read why most cases don’t proceed to the testing stage?

I’ve read the thread a couple of times and sincerely cannot see it.

Without even going into the veracity of this, or what the hell glee’s opinions have to do with it, this is a far cry from what you actually said, which was “Mike has agreed to dowse for gold under a cup, therefore ALL dowsers think they can find gold under a cup. Mike signed an agreement saying the test is a fair one, therfore ALL dowsers agree that the test is a fair one. Mike said (under threat) that he could find gold 100% in the open test, therefore ALL dowsers think the same.”.

It’s not the location that Randi is talking about there, it’s other violations of the rules, such as the JREF having to pay for the tester’s motel and gas expenses.

Peter and Gigobuster, how do you see your present debate as being relevant to the OP? If it’s not, could you not go off and start your own trainw… err… thread?

It takes one to find one. :slight_smile: Randi is not a cheat, but a magician, a trickster, but not in the sense you think. Get a clue, like Houdini it takes quick action to caught cheaters in the act, and their numbers are legion.

Speaking of proper testing, I do remember a case were Randi found out of a person that claimed to see blindfolded was being tested “properly” and she was being successful. But Randy demonstrated the fraud by recommending the researchers (that were not involved with Randi up to that point) to have one of the researchers lie under the tested person and look up from the position the items to read or to describe were located and there the researcher noticed the “blind” reader had found a way to peek.

Like that, Randi can point to many cases that he even did not need to be present to find deception.

http://www.randi.org/jr/2006-05/051906sylvia.html

You see, the “tricks” that you think are evil would not work at all if the proponents of flim flam were the real deal.

Yeah, right.

No, I found it through reading Randi’s columns.
It wasn’t for the Million Dollar Challenge, and it was Lintgen who said his ability wasn’t paranormal.
[/quote]

But Randi did … right up to the moment that Lintgen succeeded. ?After that, Randi sufddenly realised that Lintgen was right.

And many of the people challenged by Randisay their claim isn’t paranormal.

I’m one of them. Nothing whatsoweever paranormal about my claim. Randi was a fool to issue the challenge, but that’s his problem.

I’ve seen how Randi tries to twist it.

Wrong. Read the bloody article.

First, my thanks to **Gaudere ** for pointing out it was not my imagination that you did insult me.

And the point is: (virtually repeated from the same post)

That you are indeed barking up the wrong tree, even though you are saying you have no powers, your claims then should be able to be tested by other agency and they will support you with less trouble than Randi would give you. Of course, as I noticed before, since you indeed have no paranormal powers the original challenge to Randi is “barking up the wrong tree” X2 .

Speaking for myself, I’ve got no idea what he’s talking about, and I’m fed up trying to get a clear statement from him.

shakes head

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=7912242&postcount=55 It certainly seemed like you were unaware of it at the time: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=7912289&postcount=64

Cite for this? Your previous cites said nothing of the sort.

Did you or didn’t you read your own cite? Have you or haven’t you read the publicly visible applications?

The same sources that provide your cite for the low percentage of applicants that make it to the testing stage, also say why. You accept the former, not the latter.

I did. In your first cite, it stated quite clearly that the JREF would test Guska at his home, but it would not be Randi personally doing it. In the second, Randi doesn’t mention the location of testing beyond acknowledging that Guska has moved to California.

You must imagine things. :slight_smile:

When I say that you are barking up the wrong tree I’m not only saying that your quest is futile, but also that you are in wrong thread.