Charles Grodin dies at 86

You just aren’t going to yield on this whole commandeering thing, are you?

Sorry for the mess, I haven’t gotten the hang of the quote function.

RitterSport
(Charles Grodin dies at 86 - #16 by RitterSport)

He had a small, but perfectly played, role in So I Married An Axe Murderer.

Someone besides me remembers that movie? Excellent!

[quote=“mbh, post:7, topic:942385, full:true”]

[quote=“CalMeacham, post:3, topic:942385”]
Wikipedia says his first screen role was an uncredited one in the 1954 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (!!)

A quick image search turns up this:

Apparently one of the sailors on the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln. - Think that’s him?[/quote]
IMDB

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Drummer Boy (uncredited)

Possibly. The drummer boy was one of the youngest people on the boat. Most of the Nautilus sailors were older guys.

I am a huge fan of the extremely weird, critically-panned, and (IMO) ingenious movie “Clifford”, in which Grodin played the perfect worn-down-to-his-last-nerve foil for the absurd title character portrayed by Martin Short. This is one of those movies that - and I can’t tell you why - somehow just clicks with me even though it has been all but forgotten in cinematic history and the vast majority of people who saw it seem to have thought it complete garbage. I will admit that the whole premise of it is profoundly fucked-up, and arguably overextends a character that some might have found more palatable in a short sketch. I know all of this, and yet somehow I laugh my ass off every time I watch “Clifford”, and yes, I have indeed watched it multiple times.

RIP, Uncle Martin. May all your dreams be pleasant ones.