Charlie Sheen is going to rehab. Has this ever worked for *anyone*?

I’m relatively certain that I’ve read that the amount of people who go clean for the rest of their life spikes somewhere around the age of either 35 or 45 (I forget). This means that there’s a significant dive in the number of addicts over that age.

I’d suspect that this varies by sex, hence I put “a man”.

I would need to look for a cite, however.

I have heard of people who got results with hypnotism. I know people who have gone the rehab route. It worked for some and not for others. The difference ,the ones who really wanted to quit ,had a better result. Those who go in after being forced by the law, generally failed.
Sheen says he is having fun and enjoying his wild life. That is not a basis for productive change.

Charlie Sheen has just announced that AA and traditional rehab is for “weak-willed losers” and that the success rate for the average rehab-rangers is only about 5%.

He, on the other hand, has cured himself with the “power of his own mind” which he says is (so far) a “100% guaranteed” solution.

Thank God he is so intelligent and humble, and has finally conquered his demons once and for all.

Spot on. I for one would change life with MR. Sheen without any hesitation

Charlie has now become unemployed after going on the radio to denounce the “bootleg cult” of AA.

"I was shackled and oppressed by the cult of AA for 22 years. I finally extracted myself from their troll hole and started living my life the way I want to live it. It’s vintage, outdated and stupid and it’s followed by STUPID people. I hate them violently. They will come at me. Debate me on AA right now. I have a disease? Bullshit. I cured it right now with my mind. I cured it, I’m done! ”

About his employer:
“I violently hate Chaim Levine. He’s a stupid, stupid little man and a pussy punk that I’d never want to be like. That’s me being polite. That piece of shit [Lorre] took money out of my pocket, my family’s pocket, and, most importantly, my second family – my crew’s pocket. You can tell him one thing. I own him.”

About Thomas Jefferson: “pussy”

http://dlisted.com/node/40966

Addiction recidivism is very high, with rehab or without, but sometimes a period of abstinence and education are the first stop in continued sobriety. As for Charlie Sheen…it appears he will die in a sad and embarrassing manner. I hope he can get sober but he gives every appearance to the contrary.

This is true. I also have a strong feeling that he still lives with cravings, and I’d bet $100 he’s slipped at least once since his declaration of clean-ness.

I should also note that I think RDJ is one of the finest actors of our generation, and I’m in no way judging him for this.

That said, his father was at his peak at a time when this wasn’t talked about – and there wasn’t really any such thing as rehab. Still, I admit, the first thign I wondered when I heard about Charlie was, “Hmm…was Martin an alcoholic, or am I misremembering?”

Anyone can say they’ve “cured” themselves after – what’s it been – a week or two? If he can maintain it, I’ll take that back. Let’s see.