Chess Question: What is a good rule of thumb as to when you may and may not check a king?

Just to be clear, this isn’t completely true. If your rook is between your king and your opponent’s queen, then you can’t move the rook out of the way (which would allow their queen to capture your king next turn).
But you can move the rook as long as the queen can’t capture the king next turn. If the queen is on a diagonal to the king (with the rook in between), then any move by the rook will expose the kind and would be illegal (because the rook can’t move diagonally). But if the queen is ‘square’ to the king (and the rook) on a row or file, then the rook can move anywhere along that line and still block the queen, or just capture the queen; and those are legal moves.

You’re welcome!
I don’t recall Alexander playing at any chess events (I started competing in 1966.)
I have met all of the players that I posted above. :cool:

I agree that Go (like chess) is incredibly complicated.
I don’t know anything about Hive (it looks interesting though), but I doubt it can match chess for complexity.

Here’s some chess statistics:

• considering just the first 6 moves by each side involves nearly 10 million possible positions
  • this position with just 6 pieces (White King g1, Rook g2, Bishop h1 v Black King e5 Knights d6, c5) is a win in 203 moves (by each side :eek:)
  • this position with just 3 pieces (White Ke1, pawn e2 v Black Ke8) takes 22 moves to win (and there are lots of ways to go wrong…)

Chess can be a surprisingly complex game.