Chin straps worn over the face in military dress parades - why?

Since everyone in the photo is wearing it that way, we can assume that that is how the chin strap should be worn. But why?

This has happened before, and it happened again. Curiosity got the better of me and I googled “military chin straps not under chin”. This thread was the first hit.

I’d honestly be surprised if the uniforms worn by the Westpoint cadets were ever actually worn by the US military as a whole. I always assumed it was some specific uniform to the Corps of Cadets there (similar to how the cadets at Texas A&M wear their uniforms that come in either the regular tan color scehme or the green-and-dark-pink “Midnight” color scheme.

The photo is not USMA, but the Citadel cadets on parade, not associated with the US Military in any real sense. Many cadets are on ROTC scholarship, but the parade uniform symbolizes a dress uniform of an era long past.

Are those M-1 Garands?

They are 1903 Springfield rifles, the old-style version without the half-pistol grip stock.

You sure? Note what looks like the gas return under the barrel. Also, I don’t see the rear bolt protrusion. Pretty sure they’re Garands.

My WAG is that it adds a bit more uniformity to the group by obstructing a portion of the face.

Only, he’s from the Indian side.

Perhaps those straps originated in times when military personnel had major beards and moustaches and that had something to do with it? Total WAG, but if you have a beard, a chin strap lifts up the beard and makes it poke out like a bushy ponytail. Looks ridiculous.

Sorry. Google Images, and the photo caption, said he was Pakistani.

A peaked cap, forage cap or combination cap.

The overseas cap is also known as the garrison cap.

The Citadel and USMA parade uniforms are based on the hussar uniforms of the early 19th Century. The Texas A&M uniforms are based on the US Army uniforms of the 1940s.

Beards and mustaches went in and out of fashion several times during the 19th Century. Maastricht’s idea makes sense to me.

I think you’re right. I hadn’t looked closely at the plates on the shakos (hats), or at the background (those castle-like buildings), but it does look like The Citadel in Charleston, S.C.

Here are some West Point pics; note that the design of the gold-colored plate on the shako is different from The Citadel’s:

http://www.overlookonhudson.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/splash2.jpg
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/1125229.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDD8E0DCEAB0C98C5089EA2C5FECC9336320B6DBF0C6083C67E30A760B0D811297

However, they’re also wearing the chin strap the same way as in the photo provided by the OP.

Here’s a picture of a soldier with a goatee and an strap under his chin. As you see, no problem.

Here are some modern soldiers from an army that apparently allows moustaches and maybe beards. They have the modern versions of over chin straps.

Here are some 19 th century soldiers (French infanty) with big beards. I guess they would have worn under lip -straps when not in battle.

So I’m convinced it’s beards.

I always thought shakos were taller.

Not necessarily: Shako - Wikipedia

OK, I only glanced at the picture before. But now I’ve been studying it intensely.

Yes, it is indeed an M1 Garand. But the stock is like no Garand I’ve seen. The “pistol grip” portion has been sanded down and the overall shape of the butt has been altered to look like an old-fashioned M1903. This must be a special kind of Garand used for Marine Corps drill teams.

This photo shows the same kind of rifle.

Indeed. I just looked at the barrel and receiver in the first picture.

Shakos can be many different heights and even differing widths or angles.

I note that the French wear the chin straps under the chin (maybe the other is really a lip strap?). Since the French know do fashion so well, I can only assume the correct way to wear the strap is under the chin.

Interestingly, a neighbor of mine is a military history buff, and he couldn’t explain the chin strap issue when I put it to him. I think he was all set to pull one of his books of the shelf and start reading it to me over the phone, he was so excited to have an audience. He did say that chin straps came about after shakos became popular military wear but that cavalry members would lose the hat while charging. Chin straps resolved the issue.

Answer from a West Point Grad: (not much help, actually)

Actually, below lower lip – because
· under the chin looks stupid
· we like it that way
· that’s how they told me to do it
· tradition