Chistmas Eve twins for China Guy

Congrats – all kinds of prayers and good wishes headed your way. Sounds like Serena won’t need a super-sized ration of 'em, so spread 'em around as needed. :smiley:

Congrats to the whole China family! And what lovely names indeed – both the English and the Chinese names are just beautiful. Beautiful names for, I’m sure, beautiful little girls!

Huge congrats - we a difficult birth with our first child; I am so glad Serena is doing better.

Wonderful news - wishing you and your family health and happiness in the coming year.

Pictures? Where are the pictures?

Here’s hoping that Serena’s having her hard stuff now, and that she sails through life, healthy as a horse, with nary an earache to bother her.

China Guy I just want you to know that I have been sending positive vibes to bed #29 and to your wife’s boobies :slight_smile:
Don’t worry…when her milk comes in…she will know. It’ s like her breasts will take on a life of their own.

Congratulations, all of you!

When ValleyGirl was born, she stopped breathing twice, and I have never experienced anything in my life like being in that bed while it seemed like the entire hospital staff was rushing in to see my baby, before I even got to see her. I could just feel that stunned panic all over again as I read your post. I was so relieved to hear how well ChinaTwins are doing. And good going on your part to stay so strong and positive for your family. Your family is lucky to have you.

Congrats!

Congratulations! Such beautiful names!

What an amazing story - I was holding my breath while reading! How fortunate that your girls are nice and big!

I can relate to how you and your wife are feeling - my son went straight to the NICU where he spent almost 2 weeks. And, like your wife, I wasn’t able to see him right away. To tell you the truth, I was afraid to bond with him because subconsciously I wasn’t sure he’d make it; I developed a terrible postpartum anxiety disorder.

Of course looking at him now as he crawls and cruises, plays with his sister, and chases the cats around our living room, it’s hard to imagine I was ever worried. It took a couple of months to bond with my twins, but now we’re as close as can be. Having twins is wonderful!

If you ever need some twin parent empathy, keep in touch!

CT Scan on 27 Dec was not quite what we were hoping for. The is some edema or swelling of the brain. Serena also has a possible infection and is getting antibiotics as a precaution. Keeping the oxygen going (but she is off cpap) as there are bouts of apnea. Some reflux when fed 5 cc formula, which can cause apnea as well. Also has mild jaundice like her twin. Selena will remain in the incubator for now.

The delivery room pediatrician ‘gave it to me straight’ that the birth was a difficult time and there could be an impact. Difficult at this point to tell. The fact that there have been no seizures and no abnormal neurological signs is very hopeful.

28 dec first thing this morning and much to her surprise China wife pumped 20 cc milk. I delivered the milk to the ICU straight away,and arranged to take chinawife late this afternoon so she can see Serena for the first time since the birthing room team was working on her. Update later today.

We’ll get through this and I *know * that Serena will turn out fine.

Hugs to the whole ChinaFamily. I know I’m not the only one praying for all five of you.

Congratulations! A close friend of mine just had a baby (well, his wife actually had the baby) on Christmas Eve as well. Mother and daughter are happy and healthy.

…And now that I finish reading I see how insensitive that was of me. Keep us informed; we’re all sending good vibes your way.

Congratulations and best wishes!

I usually don’t post to congratulations threads, but wanted to say this: You have a lot of reasons to think positive about little Serena’s prognosis. I was Apgar 2 at birth, and doctors thought I’d probably be both sickly and retarded. Instead, I’m extremely healthy and a Harvard Law graduate.

Babies are very resilient little creatures.

Me too. My apgar was a 3, then went down to a 1. I had a seizure, too.

I turned out fine despite what the doctors said*. I didn’t go to Harvard but did go into the legal field. Maybe there’s a correllation? Might wanna start saving up to send her to law school. :smiley:

No worries, China Guy. The docs are gonna give you the worst case scenario because they’re paid to be pessimistic.

*I do have a tiny case of cerebral palsy but other than a slight limp, it’s a non-issue in my life. The subject didn’t even come up until I was 12.

Add my list to the name of those keeping you and your little Serena in my prayers.

One of my cousins had low apgar scores. Sixteen years later she’s taking four A.P. classes. My aunt loves to boast about her daughter. After her daughter’s difficult birth we love to let her. :slight_smile:

I took chinawife to the ICU this afternoon. tears were flowing as soon as she saw Serena. I hope this will replace the only image she had before in the delivery room. Chinawife was heartened by seeing and touching our daughter in the incubator. serena looks so fragile in there. We only had a few minutes and serena was deep asleep.

Status is Serena no longer needs the oxygen tube. Getting uv treatment for jaundice. Still injesting only 5 cc formula every 3 hours. Hopefully the mother’s milk we are pumping and delivering will start to help.

Forget Law School- you’ve all become Dopers. :smiley:

Please keep us posted as she progresses?

Ahh, thank god for Preview, you have just posted again ! How wonderful that she’s gotten to touch Serena at last. -sigh-

Strong thoughts and prayers flying around the globe to you all.

**China Guy ** - I just tuned in to this thread. Congratulations on your newest bundles of joy, and my warmest thoughts, wishes, and prayers are with your Serena and your family.

And now your are a doper. That is the most positive sign yet!
China Guy Have you thought of all your daughters future doper names? I mean, c’mon!

Hey !! Hey !! Read three posts up !!!

:smiley:

Brilliant minds frequently follow similar paths. -Beaming-

Potential Doper Name for ChinaGuy’s new girl:

Chinette.

:wink: