Choose Me a Dog

Oh, I have no problem with purebreds, per se, I just have philosophical issues with supporting the dog breeding industry, given the over abundance of great dogs who need homes out there. I think going the breed rescue route is a great thing.

I’d say a smaller dog would have less trouble with the stairs than a big dog. Really big dogs especially can get into trouble trying to go down steep stairs. Their back ends end up too high and it makes them unstable. My sister’s Newfoundland fell down their back stairs a couple of times, and he was small for a Newfie. (Fantastic breed, but too short-lived.)

I’m going to buck the trend here and say that if you’re going to be gone ten hours a day, then maybe having dogs isn’t the best idea.

I was looking around last night, and the rescue sites I found tend to be run by the insaner end of the dog people spectrum - they pretty much all demanded the right to choose which vet you used, review your pets medical records on a regular basis (and take the dog back if they didn’t like them), drop in at any time to look your place over (presumably on the grounds that they’re checking that the pet’s not mistreated) - hell, a couple of them even required that they dictate what you feed the dogs (and, again, if they didn’t like it, they’d take the dogs back).

Thanks, but no. They can jam that right up their collective clackers.

Yeah. This is one of the things that worries me. I’ve read that it’s mostly a problem with bulky dogs, though, and not so much with the svelter ones. Anyone know if that’s the case?

Really? Because it strikes me that this sort of timeframe wouldn’t be unusual for any dog owner with a job. I’ve certainly owned dogs before - both as an adult and a kid - where no-one’s been at home for that sort of timeframe each weekday.

I’m not calling “cite”, but what makes you think that dogs can’t cope in this sort of situation?

Wha? What sites were you on? They will do home checks to ensure that you have a suitable safe place for dogs. Most rescue groups have a clause stating you must give the dog back instead of giving the dog away. That is to ensure the dogs are not being “rescued” and then sold for profit. I’ve never heard of the rest that you described.

German shepherd.

Just…

Look…

At that…

Punim…

You cannot go wrong with a Lab. Loyal, lovable, energetic, looooove the water…

I thought that too, but then I realized the dogs will be outside in a yard that’s apparently secure. If there are two dogs (for company), they can go to the bathroom, they have shelter, and they get real attention in the evenings, this might be a reasonable arrangement. I wouldn’t recommend it without one of those points being true, though.

Although I often speak up in favor of pit bulls on this board, I definitely do NOT recommend them for this situation. Aside from the recommendation one sees on dog sites against leaving unsupervised pit bulls together, it’s frankly dangerous to leave unsupervised pit bulls outside, period, as they are frequently abused, stolen, or killed by various nasty people. Also, pitties don’t fit your energy-level requirements. And they’re kind of termperature-sensitive. And they loooooooooove their people more than being outside.

I think largish outdoorsy dogs like Shepherds or any of the retriever types would be good.

Don’t give up on breed-specific rescues. There will be one somewhere who will have a dog for you without too many restrictions – try being very upfront about your plan, as in your OP.

What’s going on worldwide with pet dogs amounts to an industrial holocaust – new puppies are constantly being produced, because they’re salable only in a certain age range, and “product” that doesn’t move is “disposed of” as cheaply as possible. This is not propaganda, it’s a description of the way mass-production works.

I personally have seen inside a freezer at a “nice” local family-owned pet shop. It was full of dead puppies and kittens.

Please adopt, even if it appears to be more trouble.

I will say this about Irish Wolfhounds: I know a woman who used to breed and show them, but she had to stop, because she could no longer stand the heartbreak of them dying *of old age *at the age of six.

Actually, all of them were unacceptably intrusive - excepting the RSPCA. Mybe it’s an Australian thing. All of them (again, except the RSPCA) required a contract that I wouldn’t be comfortable signing.

The RSPCA I’ll be looking at, but it’ll depend what they have while I’m looking. If you don’t want a “Kelpie cross unknown”, “Shih Tsu cross unknown”, “Doberman cross unknown” or a “Rottweiler cross unknown”, it seems to be pretty much luck.

Yeah - with the “illegal to acquire” thing, it’s a little outside what I’m trying to do.

The yard’s not large, but it’s not too bad, there will be shelter available and the fences are secure.

Attention will be there outside of work hours, but surely the house being empty during work hours isn’t that unrealistic?

I’m a fair way from the water, I have to say…

But wouldn’t there be an energy level issue with labs? I thought that I’d need more space or more exerccise than that.

Also wanting to say thanks to everyone for the input on this one. Greatly appreciated.

:eek: :frowning: Wow. Just… wow. :frowning: :mad: :frowning:

It takes quite a bit to bring a tear to my eye, but that about does it.
S^G

Just thought I’d add my favorite non-small breed to the discussion; The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. I’m not sure of its suitability to your situation, but I think it has to be one of the most handsome dogs out there, and since it’s from the retriever family, it’s got to be a great family pet, and I’d love to have one! preferably with white markings on its nose. :smiley:

S^G