Chris Benoit and family found dead...

There is deep sadness in the House of Rilch tonight.

I flipped on Raw and saw it was true. Apparently, Vince opened the show in the middle of the ring in an empty stadium and said that Benoit had died “in real life”. The irony of this is that tonight’s show was supposed to be a memorial for the “Mr. McMahon died in a carbombing” storyline.

He brought out the best in everyone he wrestled and put over more new talent than anyone else I can think of. His respect and dedication to the business were top notch. He will be sorely missed.

The AJC’s story said, “Authorities confirmed…” I bet the authorities mentioned weren’t the WBE.

One of the best.

What is it about wrestlers and tragically short lives?

Morpheus was right about Fate. Damn. RIP, Chris, Nancy, and Daniel.

Well on the bright side his real death will bring in more viewers than Vince’s fake death.

I’m sure Mr. McMahon is thrilled.

The SI article says the Fayette Co. Sheriff’s Dept. is investigating the deaths as homicides. What the Hell could have happened?

It doesn’t surprise me, at all.

Not that it actually applies to Benoit, but, wrestling is a punishing profession - even the most choreographed work can go wrong, and isn’t exactly gentle when it goes as planned, even ignoring the use of blading - quite a few wrestlers have health problems related to being the size they are, especially those that get that big through abuse of steroids… Then there’s abuse of other drugs.

Between all of this, it’s somewhat miraculous that as many live as long as they do. Mick Foley should be dead several times over, as just one example.

Another domestic thing maybe? A lot of those seem to be in the news these days.

Wow, what an incredibly dickish thing to say.

I don’t think they’ve ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning. It sounds plausible: Benoit booked out of a PPV because his wife and kid were sick, vomiting blood, to be precise. All three of them could have been overcome by CO2.

WWE has it a “double murder-suicide” FWIW.

Wow, I remember him from the year or so I was into watching wrestling. He was great, and this is very sad news.

Well, now WWE has taken it down, hurrumph. :dubious:

I still see it.

It’s up again now. From the WWE site:

I think Zabali_Clawbane might be right about another Phil Hartman situation.

AP is reporting that it looks like Benoit killed his wife and son over the weekend, and himself on Monday.

Jeez.

We used to watch WWF all the time. What a shocker.

If it turns out he murdered his wife and child then we’re going to need to retract some of the RIP’s.

Heh, was just about to suggest same.

“Looks like,” people. “Being investigated as.” Wouldn’t be the first time one news service jumped the gun and others simply followed suit.

(Says the woman who thought it was laughable that alcohol could have been involved in Haley Osment’s car crash, of course. And I am praying that this gets resolved before Mr. Rilch gets any inkling of it.)

Like Big Bad Vodoo Lou, I was a huge wrestling fan from 1998-2003. I remember fondly Benoit teaming with Chris Jericho to get the tag team championship.

I only found out about his death by catching the tail end of Raw and hearing Jerry Lawler talking about Benoit. I saw the last match of his they showed, which ended with Benoit getting the belt and Eddie Guererro coming into the ring and congratulating him. Kind of eerie, considering that both men are now dead.

I really really hope it doesn’t turn out to be a murder-suicide.