circumcision

Hmmm. Guess how advice to perform surgery on infant girls to maybe possibly prevent remotely possible health risks to possible future male partners would be greeted.

I’m guessing; not well.

yes but clitoral circumcision doesn’t cause increased risk of giving penis cancer

Well, I have performed circumcisions in my career. Over 100, I suppose. All on newborns, all on males. Never had a bad outcome that I’m aware of. I gave up doing it when I gave up obstetrics. I was one of the few who did use local anesthesia on the little guys when I did it, and they cried a LOT less when a little lidocaine was used to numb them up.

Having reviewed the literature, and reviewed my own experience with the procedure, I personally feel there’s no good reason to do it as a prophyllactic procedure on an otherwise healthy infant.

One reason to not do it: If the penis is ever mangled in an injury, or needs corrective surgery for hypospadias, that foreskin supplies ideal tissue for making certain repairs. Why not save it if/until needed later, unless there are overriding cultural/focused health concerns?

And I like redheads better.

I’ve been with women in my “past” that have had both and they’ve prefered uncut.

So whats your point?

I’ve been watching this thread since I just brought my little boy home from the hospital. He’s uncircumcised. One thing I have noticed about my decision is that is has garnered a lot of attention from family and friends who are aghast that hubby and I elected to not circumcise him. They demand to know ‘what my doctor thinks of this!’ Yet everyone in the medical profession that we have spoken to: My OB, his pediatirician, the nurses at 2 NICUs, and the various doctors we saw in both hospitals all agreed that there was no reason to circumcise beyond personal preference/ religious reasons/ predisposition to diabetes or other risk factors that we don’t have.

I couldn’t put him through elective surgery for no other reason than ‘just because.’

Fun