City Skylines

That’s what we all call the Library Tower, which happens to be directly across 5th Street from the LA Public Library (a distinctive looking building itself). I believe it’s current official name is the US Bank Building – I don’t recall what it was prior to that.

I haven’t gone to look up official stats just yet, although I may come back with them, but I believe the Library Tower is the tallest office building west of the Mississippi (not to be confused with the Stratosphere in Las Vegas, which is the tallest structure west of the Mississippi).

I hope I’m remembering all that correctly.

Washsington, DC certainly has a recognizable skyline with the Washington monument et al, but my favorite skyline is Istanbul it couldn’t be anywhere else and it is just so cool.

From this site :
“Every city has a landmark that is the pinnacle of its architectural greatness and exemplifies its stature on a world scale. For Los Angeles, this is it. At 1,017 feet it is the tallest building between Chicago and Hong Kong, beating out the Chase Tower in Houston by just 15 feet, though it is two floors shorter.”*

Manhattan has that swayback look that easily distinguishes it as a whole regardless of any specific buildings being there or not. At least, when looking at it from across the river in Brooklyn Heights.

Denver is easy to pick out. If viewed from a spot east of the city looking west, you have mountains in the background. If viewed from a few miles west looking east, the perspective is looking down towards the city, because you’re about a thousand feet higher up than downtown by the time you get to the intersection of I-70 and C-270.

Dallas has that horrible lolipop looking building. It’s all lit up at night, lots of twilight photos of Dallas’ skyline with that building already lit.

San Fran because of the TransAmerica. And because of the relatively small footprint. Include water or any bridge in the view, and it’s easily one of the most recognisable in the USA. Without any bridges, it’s reliant on the TA pyramid.

Houston. Which skyline? Downtown? West? North? It’s a very spread out city, with groupings of tall buildings far outside the traditionall downtown area. If shot from the SW, across Loop-610, you can get the Astrodome, the Medical Center, and Downtown all in the same photo. I would wager that manny peoples, even those who’ve never beeen to Houston, could ID that pic.

OKC. No, really. It’s small, sticks up tall out of the plains, and has some very distinctive looking buildings (both old and new).

I was thinking about that when I was going to post about the Buffalo skyline. It’s one of the most distinctive for a smaller city, because of it’s absolutely massive City Hall, and the location of the city’s tallest building, the HSBC Center, at the far end of the downtown core.

I take the bus into Manhattan all the time. I think the empty space at the end of the Manhattan skyline is more recognizable than it was pre-9/11.

This may be of interest:
The Skylines forum at SkyscraperCity.

Just FTR, here’s the typical San Francisco skyline from Twin Peaks and from Treasure Island.

I like my city’s skyline (Edmonton, AB) - particularly in the evening.

Houston at sunset.

previous thread on favorite skylines

Of course, one of the more thought-provoking skylines is that of S.F. seen from just outside the excercise yard of Alcatraz.

I love my Auckland’s skyline. Even when just coming back over from the North Shore across the harbour bridge.

I grew up in the Bay Area, so the San Francisco skyline is very “home” to me. But now when people ask me where I’m from, I say Chicago. And I love our skyline. The Sears Tower, okay, it’s kinda ugly. But it’s really big! Ha! And with Lake Michigan in the foreground, it’s just so pretty.

homesick