Class is in session...today, "The Princess Bride"

Oh stringy, that’s WONDERFUL.

Of course, if I’d been there I’d have embarassed myself by collapsing on the floor in helpless laughter.

The wedding’s in half an hour and we must strike in the hustle and the bustle before hand.

Can anyone translate what Fezzik is saying as he’s dressed in the Holocaust cloak standing in the wheelbarrow, about to storm the gates?

Something about he’s the Dread Pirate Roberts, and he is here, but soon, “You will not be here.”

Is that what he says? Ferigno has such a thick accent, it’s hard to follow him sometimes.

“You know I love watching you work, but I’ve got my wedding to plan, my bride to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I’m swamped.”

“I am the Dread Pirate Roberts. All of your worst nightmares about to come true. I am here, but soon you will not be here. The Dread Pirate Roberts has come for your SOUL!”

And that’s not Lou Ferrigno, by the way. It’s Andre The Giant.

Thanks, Life on Wry and how could I forget…“My country’s 500th anniversary party!”

It’s Andre The Giant, not Lou Ferigno who says:

I am the DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS! There WILL BE NO SURVIVORS! I am here. My men are here, but soon YOU WILL NOT BE HERE!

Boy am I slow.

I forgot about the “no survivors” part.

I think we should both get half a point on that one, Biggirl.

Personally, I can’t decide whether the book or the movie has the better version of Inigo’s fight with Ruegen. In the book, Inigo inflicts the wounds in reverse order: First the cuts on the arms that he got in that very swordfight, then a belly wound to match the treacherous dagger, then the two slashes on the cheeks that Reugen gave him as a warning when he was ten years old. Then he stabs straight in, just a hair to the left of Reugen’s heart. Then just a hair to the right. Then just exactly below the heart. “You know, of course, what I’m doing?” “You’re cutting my heart out!” “Yes, just like you cut my heart out ten years ago.”, and the final thrust.

Also, in the iocane duel, Vizzini’s logic wasn’t convoluted at all. You’ve got to realize that the lines of reasoning he spelled out were totally irrelevant: If they had been relevant at all, he would have kept them to himself. All that mattered was that he say something, because he wanted to judge the Man in Black’s reactions. You’ll notice that whenever Vizzini concludes that the poison is in his own cup, the Man in Black gets nervous, but whenever he concludes that it’s in MiB’s cup, he relaxes? All he had to figure out then, was whether he was bluffing or double-bluffing. Or at least, so he thought.

Guilder is the name of the basic currency unit in Suriname, the Netherland, and UAE. Florin is another word for guilder, and also the name of several historical currency units.

One thing you don’t get until the second time or so is the true depth of Wesley’s line that goes something like, “Death cannot stop true love, merely delay it for a time.” Of course, when he says the line, he had never actually been dead. But later in the story, he does die, and in fact it doesn’t stop their love.

Actually, Chronos, if you remember, Rugen dies of terror, not from a fatal wound.

A fitting end for a guy with an obsession with pain and suffering.

When I got married, I was tempted to have the pastor lead in with the “Mawwiage” speech but CG wouldn’t let me.:smiley:
Oh well…it’s still one of the funniest movies around and I am DYING to get that and Legend on DVD.

IDBB

Us, too, Opal! It cracks us up to no end.

I’ve just recently introduced my kids to this wonderful movie. My daughter (9) gets a kick out of the Grandson’s reaction to “the kissing parts”, because that’s exactly how my son (11) reacts to those same parts. Her favorite line is, “Anybody got a peanut?”, because her nickname is ‘Peanut’. My son’s favorite exchange from the movie is:

“Give us the key.”
“Key? What key? I don’t have any key…”
“Fezzik, rip his arms off.”
“Oh, you mean THIS key!”

And my favorite line is, “Do you think he’s using the same wind we are using?”

I was thinking about this thread this morning (and I’ve never bumped a thread from page TWO before!) and I remembered something about this movie that always struck me as interesting.

When the little boy gets impatient with the story the grandfather is reading, he asks, “Who kills Humperdink?” When the grandfather replies that no one kills the prince, he lives, the boy responds, outraged, “He lives?? You mean he WINS?”

As the story unfolds, the boy learns that living with the consequences of one’s actions is a far better kind of justice. I always thought this “lesson” was imparted so subtly and effectively.

I adore this movie! One of my favorite bits happens towards the end, when Inigo is looking for Wesley and Buttercup after his fight with Count Rugin. He hears Wesley telling Buttercup to tie Humperdink to a chair:

Wesley: Make it as tight as you like!
Humperdink: Ow!

A very subtle way of allowing Buttercup to extract a little revenge. And it makes me giggle.

Meathead directed this shit. And NORMAN LEAR the disgusting Jew produced it.

SHIT. That’s my review.

Uh-huh.

Well, we know where you stand on the issues…

senor:

Cut it out.

Bigoted, abusive language is not welcome in a forum devoted to the fight against ignorance.

You may consider this your first and last formal warning; any more posts of this nature from you and you are gone.

Critique someone’s work? Sure. Make anti-Semitic comments? Nope.

– Ukulele Ike, Cafe Society moderator, for the SDMB.

Yeah, knock off the Archie Bunker impression!