Classical music to blast from your car speakers

Mozart’s requiem, specifically, his Dies Irae.
“Siegfried’s Funeral” by Wagner.

Gorecki’s second symphony is something I’ve been guilty of blasting from my car on numerous occasions

Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 by Liszt comes to mind for that driving virtuoso feeling that you just want everyone to know about.

I guess The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies is right out…

I second Jupiter from The Planets. Also, Mozart’s overture from “Don Giovanni” and the Queen of the Night’s aria from “The Magic Flute”.

How about some Gilbert and Sullivan: “Loudly let the trumpets bray” from Iolanthe, and “If you want to know who we are” from The Mikado.

Oh, yeah, Sousa!

With most car systems biased toward bass, try J.S. Bach’s Suites for Unaccompanied Cello Yo-Yo Ma has done these twice, and I recommend the earlier set, with his youthful exuberance. Man, he really cooks!

Mozart’s Violin Concertos, #3 and #5. Everybody’s done these. I like Stern and Menuhin.

Beethoven’s Third Symphony, and his only Violin Concerto Oh, baby. Ludwig really knew how to get the most horsepower out of an orchestra. Zam.

The Trout Quintet Again, the bass.

Edgar Meyer’s The Trout Variations The Trout on acid. Manny Ax felt worn out when this was over.

Frank Zappa’s Peaches En Regalia The Turtle Island folks did this, but I think Frank did it better on Hot Rats.

Since pretty much all of my favorites have been mentioned already, I’ll add Funeral March for a Marionette, aka “The Alfred Hitchcock Hour” theme, Beethoven’s Fifth, and, um…that one Mozart violin concerto heard at the beginning of Amadeus.

Charpentier’s Prelude to Te Deum

How about Schumann’s “Koncertstuck for 4 Horns and Orchestra”? If you’ve never heard it, it’s worth a listen!

Olive

Anything ballet. Music from Balanchine’s Stravinsky ballets might be really cool.

The Nutcracker also strikes as a fun choice.

Damn, everyone’s beating me (Wagner, Mussorgsky). I haven’t heard Tannhauser Overture yet. Or the Ox Cart. As a geek I have to suggest One Winged Angel from Final Fantasy VII. Basically, think if all of Carima Burina sounded like O Fortuna.

Estunas interus/
ira vehementi!
Sephiroth!

Debussy - “Fetes”, nocturne for orchestra. “La Mer”, especially the last movement.

Ravel - from “Daphnis and Chloe” - warrior dance at the beginning of act 2 (end of the first suite), daybreak, and bacchanal at the end.

Liszt - Totentanz

Danse Macabre? Fun song, but for blasting I’d go with Danse Bacchanale.

Some Mahlerian choral pieces: the final few minutes of the Symphony No 2 (Resurrection) and the finale to part one of the Symphony No 8 (Symphony of a Thousand).

That belongs in a thread about music that makes you think of Bugs Bunny :slight_smile:
But it is a good driving song. Better than that, however, is Romainian Rhapsody #1 by Enescu. It rocks with some of the hottest bluegrass sounding fiddle, er, violin work in classical music.
It also is better if you have the best recording of that piece available. Daniel Barenboim recorded a live album with the Berlin Symphony after “The Wall” came down. It is an incredibly alive, happy classical music sampler. The joint was jumpin," and the album really vibrates. (It also has Hungarian Rhapsody on it.)
But it tends to make me drive too fast. It’s also VERY hard to find.

STRAUSS, J - Thunder & Lightning or Tisch-Tasch polka

WAGNER - Flying Dutchman overture

VERDI - The Toast from Ernami

TCHAICOVSKY - Marche Slave or March from Nutcracker

ROSSINI - Make way for the topman of the city (la la la la la la la la la laaaaa) from The Barber Of Seville

They were Stravinsky’s before they were Balanchine’s . . .

But, yeah. Stravinsky is always good to blast from the car stereo. Especially Le Sacre du printemps.

Also, go for Mahler. Or Bruckner.

That would be Largo al factotum. Good choice!

Dammit, you stole my top two. (But IIRC, it is Widor.)And I agree about the organ.

I’ll add Ein Straussfest, especially if you have the 1500 Watt dual-subwoofer setup.

I’m pretty sure you mean Vanessa Mae’s Storm. It’s very techno-influenced, very dynamic, and seems like good raging music.

It’s awesome driving music, yes.