Clear liquid diet, one gallon of laxative, colonoscopy - TMI

I have never had the enema- nor do I eat collards.

My colonoscopy was three years ago and I had a hernia fixed the same morning. So I got knocked out twice plus got pethidine. Treat? Don’t think so :slight_smile:

I came to ask a question but have already learned something … I better cancel my dentist appointment the afternoon before!!

Here’s my question… has anyone taken advantage of being cleaned out and done some kind of longer cleanse afterward?

I’ve reached the age where your doctor starts hinting that it’s time to think about a colonoscopy, and I’ve heard of the burdensome prep procedures from other family members. So I knew about GoLytely, but I didn’t know it was spelled like that!

It sounds like an Anthony Trollope character who lost her way and has turned up in a Shakespeare comedy.

My doctor mentioned colonoscopy to me yesterday, but it’ll be a last-ditch if the ultrasound I just had, and a possible future CAT scan, don’t turn up anything. Keep your fingers crossed that they find what they’re looking for on the ultrasound.

I’m glad to have this thread to see past experiences though, so I know what to expect.

Just a little update:
After a looooong two and a half week wait, I got the report on my biopsy. It said I have a chronic cecal ulcer of unknown cause with no sign of cancer (big sigh of relief).
The doc says we’ll continue to treat it with Asacol and go in for another look the middle of December. Also some X-rays to rule out Crohn’s disease which tends to manifest itself either in youth or middle age, but he thinks it’s just “one of those things”
So…go ahead and get checked if you’re at “that age”. It’s not fun but it’s not awful, either. They don’t embarrass you, it doesn’t hurt and you might find a problem in time to save your life.

I’ve had two colonoscopies since 2005 and three clean-outs. The third was for my hysterectomy; I had large tumors on my ovaries and cancer was suspected.

During the first colonoscopy, I remember dreaming that someone was lying on my stomach and it really hurt. I kept trying to push them off. When the procedure was over, the doctor told me that I had an extra-long colon with a lot of twists and bends and that the next time he would put me completely under to do the procedure. I didn’t hurt too much that day after I got home but the next day I had a lot of abdominal pain and ended up leaving work.

The next one was a lot better in terms of the procedure; the anesthetist said “Goodnight” and that was it. I felt fine later on and had no pain the next day.

Since three polyps were found on the first exam and I have a family history of colon cancer and polyps, I have to get them done every three years now. I’m hoping to get it reduced to five-year intervals after the next scope.

For my prep, I had the Dulcolax tablets and Miralax mixed with Gatorade Ice. I always have a problem with the prep because I cannot drink that much liquid of any kind in that short of a time span. The last time I tried, I had success with the first half-gallon by keeping it very cold, drinking it with a straw and keeping a glass of cold water on hand to rinse out my mouth. I tried to get the whole gallon down but it wouldn’t stay down. We may try the pills next time.

I would advise eating lightly for several days to a week before going on the liquid diet. Colas have been on my list of allowed liquids also; the guidelines given to me were ‘anything that is see-through’.

Thank heavens things were relatively okay Sky King.