Cleveland Indians considering a name change [Edit: It's "Guardians"]

Got it. And the teepee is especially cringeworthy.

The Cleveland Grovers? "-)

Interesting, but I can’t see that happening. It would be death to merchandise sales.

Make it “Super Grovers” and you’re onto something.

I don’t see Braves name surviving after this. DC is probably not going to have a new name in 2021 from what I read.

The Braves appear to be stepping up their reach out to the Native American communities in North Georgia - probably with this in mind. In addition, the Braves fanbase is faaaar more conservative than Cleveland’s, which is probably going to help with delaying it. Though the Braves have taken steps to try to eliminate the Chop (a lot of fans don’t like it though).

Cleveland Rocs. I mean, c’mon: huge bad-ass birds of prey. Can’t get any better than that.

Excellent!

And yet no one is pressing the Mumbai Indians to change their name. There’s just no justice in this world.

The Houston Texans are next, followed immediately by the Montreal Canadiens.

And nobody seems to care about the feelings of Scandinavian pillagers, or marauding buccaneers. These too are clearly minority groups struggling with negative stereotypes, despite Disney’s efforts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/22842s/im_not_sure_disney_understands_this_concept_very/

The Cleveland Pakistanis.

But the earlier move from the Bombay Punkawallahs was a liberal step in anti-colonialism.

The Caucasians, obviously. There’s already merchandise.

http://www.shelflifeclothing.com/caucasians.html

It’s official: Welcome to the Cleveland Guardians!

Fail.

The correct answer was “Spiders”.

Did they do it just to keep a name that ends in “ians”?

Actually, the Cleveland Ians isn’t bad. Get a whole roster of players named “Ian”–Ian Kinsler, Ian Desmond. Maybe Chris Ianetta…

Yeah I noticed that too. Think they’re just going to iron-on the “Guar” over the “In” on the uniforms?

Named after the coolest Ian ever!

+1000