Clever hacks that you've never gotten to work

^My gf has an egg cooker like that and swears by it.

I’ve got one, too. I got lazy and didn’t want to dig it out of the cabinet, but I totally should have. I love my egg cooker; sometimes it under-cooks the eggs, but if you let it sit for about 3 minutes once it’s done, they’re great.

A friend showed me years ago how to tie bunny-eared shoelaces with one pass, but I can’t remember how he did it. There’s no spin-tying. He just grabbed the laces, pulled, and voila. I’ve googled, but all I get are tips for tying one-handed.

Saran Wrap over the mug, with a hole poked into it.

probably something like this, which I use to tie my shoelaces

Yep. Once in a while those don’t work and I run the jar/cap under hot water for a minute or two. The metal lid expands faster than the glass, and then with the addition of the silicone grip, generally works.

I’m not above whacking the top to break a seal though either. And only occasionally after applying all three of these need to use the tool of last resort - my husband.

That doesn’t speak well to your relationship.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That’s an expensive boiled egg.

It gets used for other things.

Every time I see a gadget marketed as e.g. a “microwave egg poacher”, the smartass in me says “Gee, I wonder what a microwave elephant poacher would look like”.

He would be carrying one of these.

That makes way too much sense.

Thanks! So simple!

I tried this once and got it to work, but the key is that you need really high-velocity impacts of the garlic against the sides of the bowl. This required two critical features in the method:

• Instead of a bowl with a cover, I used two large bowls, one upside down on the other. This created a long “fetch” length so that when you were shaking the whole rig, the garlic could build up greater relative speed before slamming into the opposite side of the enclosure.

• Seek the services of someone with substantial upper body strength, i.e. someone who can shake this thing with extreme violence.

Although I got it to work on that one occasion, I haven’t repeated it because it was such a hassle.

I never got the shaking bowls trick to work either but this make me wonder if a cocktail shaker wouldn’t work at least as well.

I’ve been trying to use the advice in this thread, but I made a godawful mess when I crushed the egg with the flat of a butterknife.

You probably forgot to steam it first!

Silly @needscoffee ! Steaming a butter knife takes forever.

^^ Add a tsp of baking soda.