Climate change: what if it's a big hoax and we create a better world for nothing?

While this is true, we both know damn well the money would never go to those causes. If people can be persuaded/compelled to live cleaner I’m all for it simply because the aesthetic result is pleasant–the VAST majority of people are not rational thinkers and lack the will-power to live well if left to their own devices.

I really don’t have a dog in this fight–I’m not convinced humanity is a significant factor in climate change. It’s been a planetary phenomenon since way before we fell out of the trees and as I understand it we’d be due about now even if we never figured out how to bang rocks together. Ok, maybe we sped it up by a hundred years, but it was in the mail anyway. Personally I think rather than spending resources on holding back the inevitable we should be preparing for the change.

The cartoon lists several outcomes of combatting climate change that are unrelated to climate change. The money could be spent elsewhere, certainly, but it’s hard to think of an investment that would result in better value for money even if climate change didn’t exist.

Aren’t most of the climate change projects to do with reducing fuel use and finding alternative fuel supplies, anyway? Even the CO2 emissions are to do with reducing fuel use. I know there are a few people who claim that the world has unending supplies of oil, but they’re rare; most people accept that fossil fuels will run out within a few generations, so it’s worth continuing with anything that helps with that, regardless of any climate change.

Those are the actual arguments and they were right there in the cartoon in condensed form. It wasn’t just an ideological statement.

There are more than 10 scientific lines of evidence that point to humanity being the cause of the recent warming.

The experts looking at the changes coming would tell you that us making them to be less intense in the future is worth it. This is an item that many who think that the coming changes are inevitable do miss: the probabilities. Having an easier time to deal with the future changes hinges on a reduction of CO2 and other GW gases, doing nothing will increase the chances that we will have an even worse time.

Thank you.