Clones, Rael and Genesis (the band)

If you think that it’s pretentious, you’ve been taken for a ride…

No, really, I think the whole point of it is to summarise the point of the album which is, IMHO, something like transcending the ego and shadow.

Books by Claude Vorilhon, AKA Raël:

“The Message Given by the Extraterrestrials”
“Beings From Outer Space Took Me to their Planet”
“Let’s Welcome Our Fathers From Space”,
“Yes to Human Cloning”
“The Final Message”
“Sensual Meditation”

How Claude Vorilhon Became Rael

This story bylined March 2002 tries to but falls far short, of making a case for a connection between Raël (space case) and Rael (LLDoB).

I’m sure Peter Gabriel doesn’t want any part of being the inspiration for this group.

Corbomite, that March 2002 article you linked to was being deliberately facetious. In fact, it clearly anticipated directly the facetiousness of this thread’s OP. What is the connection between them, hmm? Curiouser and curiouser.

I’m just grateful to the Raelians and to this thread for reviving memories of some of my favorite '70s music: Genesis!

<Jomo wanders off thinking of starting a Genesis appreciation thread… humming to himself…

Pythagoras with a looking glass
Reflects the full moon
In blood, he’s writing the lyrics
Of a brand new tune
>

If you guys hear an ethereal chuckle, you’ll know I’m laughing with you - not at you. Right?
'Scuse me now while I try to find some deeper meanimg to I Can’t Dance :wink:
Peace,
mangeorge

Eh. Post-1977 Genesis mutated into a totally different band, unrecognizable. For me, Genesis quit being Genesis in 1978. I tuned out and never paid any further attention to them, but still cherish my memories of classic Genesis (1969-1977).

Oh. So you don’t want to know about Carly Simon’s egg and Jewell and all that.

<whoosh>

I was waiting for this to come around about them clone wackos.
I hope this does not make for bad press for Genesis.

After I saw the headlines in the news and saw “Rael” I said to myself, there ripping off Genesis! Nice to see there or others with good music tastes :wink: on this board.

Jomo Mojo, the reason you only like Genesis from 1969-1977 is because thats when Steve Hackett left and Phil took full control over the band. He was best staying behind the drums!

You should come by http://www.genesis-music.com/
lots of old and new talk about the G-men.

“There’s an angle standing in the sand, free to get back home”

As I realized and said - I reckon Peter Gabriel wants no part of this.

Welcome to the boards, HDS!

–“There’s an angle standing in the sand, free to get back home”

nay.

“Supper’s Ready”, Genesis 1972 (Foxtrot)

Thxs!

:wink: I was quoting Phil from TOTT last song (Los Endos). His hommage to Peter.

But oh yes, “Suppers Ready” even for little worms that mistake pitter patter for rain fall :wink: “For rain fall in worm world means matting and bath time”. - Peter …Oxferd Hall 1972

I still have old videos of the old shows with Peter in his Red Dress and Flower costume …hehe

HDS

You were quoting Phil from “Los Endos?” - a heavy instrumental song featuring Phil kicking the shite out of his drumkit!

Phil had done a couple songs before Gabriel left the band. He had an adequate voice and maybe wanted to write some songs. Gabriel wouldn’t allow that. Genesis was looking for vocalists all over the place when Gabriel left (word is muchly over the outlandish costumery of LLDoB - slippermen indeed!). They went with Phil Collins and “A Trick of the Tail” followed “Selling England By the Pound” - two masterpieces.

It’s at the very end to Los Endos.

?? The only song Phil did before Peter left was “More Fool Me” of of Selling England. But “More Fool Me” didnt go over very well. Phil didnt come tell after “Treepass” "71’. Phil came in on “Nursery Crime” ( great album).

“Trick of the Tail” followed “The Lamb” :wink: (Lamb ‘74’, Trick ‘76’)
“Selling England” was ‘73’.

Okay, yeah - Phil is singing some stuff at the end of Los Endos. He does the same stuff at the end of Duke in “Duke’s Travel’s”. I’d not heard any stuff on TotT was aimed bitterly at Gabriel. Those guys like eachother to this day (right?)

This thread (happily) is not about Genesis and unless the Grand Poobah of The Stars shows up - Raël and mangeorge cannot dance.

Jomo Mojo might do a genesis thread.

I know a farmer who looks after the farm.
With water clear, he cares for all his harvest.
I know a fireman who looks after the fire.

Can you guys just please give Peter Gabriel to the Raelians? He’s even more embarassing than Rick Springfield.

Nuh uh.

Me and my brother went to see Peter Gabriel’s ‘So’ concert in 1986 at Madison Square Garden in NYC. We walked past the phalanx of cops, stepped over the broken plate glass, got shook down and patted down while the heavy metal chords beckoned us onward. Ticket guy says : “mwah wah wah wah…” and points back out towards the street, curling his finger indicating 7th Avenue is the best entry way for our seats.

The scyntillating high notes of Y’ssou D’nour (sp?) greeted us. Peter Gabriel puts on a damn fine show. And during ‘Lay your hands on me’ he does a backwards stage-layback and the audience catches him and passes him around as he’s singing. He also does a marvelous version of LLDoB’s “In The Cage”.

It was on the train ride home that I learned the ‘Felt-forum’ band was Metallica!

Phil Collins sang lead on “For Absent Friends” on his first Genesis album, Nursery Cryme (one of the best album titles ever).

In the first section of “Supper’s Ready,” titled “Lover’s Leap,” you can hear Phil doubling Gabriel’s vocals one octave higher. He’s almost squeaking.

I agree about Hackett: the arrival of Hackett with Nursery Cryme was what turned Genesis into a powerful musical force. His depature spelled the downfall of classic Genesis. :frowning: But note that there were two post-Gabriel albums, with Phil singing lead, that included Hackett: Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering. They were still both pretty good.

I ran across this on the net. Looks like we missed the boat on this one back in 1997.

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/science/life/biog_dolly.html

well-- i must say, when i saw that Dr. Matrix had moved this thread to Cafe Society I was a little miffed as I intended this to be more about cloning and the Raelians rather than Genesis.

But it looks like Dr. Matrix showed great prescience in moving the thread as this has turned into a bit of a Genesis and P. Gabriel lovefest.

Which is just fine with me because they are a favorite of mine (though I must agree with some of the above opinions that around about 1978 they just weren’t what they used to be. And then by about 1983-1984 they became basically just another fluff-pop, crap-spewing cash machine.)

The Channel 4 link about the connection between Rael and Rael was interesting too.

“someone says he’s Jesus Christ but I don’t care.”