Cold Blooded People

Despite the male fantasy of having lots of skinny, slinky women around the house wearing next to nothing even when it’s not hot as an oven, real world skinny women like to bundle up in sweaters because they are always cold. Fat is an insulator, as all Eskimos and the sea mammals that they dine on know very well.

For that particular issue, men vs. women, look mostly to clothing.

It’s winter here, daytime temps are in the 30s. The office is heated, of course, but cold spots & drafts are common. A thermometer on my office floor says 65 most of the day, and more like 60 when I get in in the AM.

I wear wool dress pants, a cotton long sleeve dress shirt, & dress shoes with lightweight silk long underwear underneath. I’m comfy.

The woman in the next office is wearing sandals, no socks, capri-length pants, and a sheer silk-like short sleeve blouse. I don’t know exactly what her underwear is like (a pity that), but it ain’t thermals.

She is not comfy, and makes sure we all know it.

salinqmind ,
Are you, me?:smiley:

That particular piece of idiocy isn’t exclusive to women, though - I do agree your coworker is an idjit, mind you. One of my mother’s neighbors (3rd floor) always complains of the house being too cold in the winter. He stopped complaining to me on the day he asked if we were cold at Mom’s (10th floor penthouse), I said “no” and, when he expressed surprise, I specified “well, I’ve been sleeping with three wool blankets and the jammies tucked in between the first and second pair of socks; that’s two blankets and a pair of socks less than the winter the radiator in my room was broken.”

Turns out his lordship wants to sit around the house in his underwear in January.
ETA: you know, thinking about it, I see women dressed like that a lot less in places where the dress code considers things like “jeans” and “pantsuits or slacks on women” acceptable. Maybe a way to moderate the Thermostat Wars would be an attack on the Dress Code?

You also have to look at clothing choices in a scenario like that. In a typical office, men are wearing long pants, long-sleeved shirts, ties and jackets, while the women are wearing knee-length skirts and blouses with open collars and lower necklines. So the men are dressed perfectly for 68 F and the women are dressed perfectly for 75 F. Even if they were identical in all other respects, there’s no way to please both.

This is often the case in other environments as well. Just look at what a man wears for a night on the town compared to what a woman wears.

Ah, I should have specified. We’re in an industrial setting, the women in this case are all machine operators, all wearing the same uniform as the men. Sorry, I keep forgetting that other people have “normal” jobs (and hours, the effect sems more noticeable to us in the middle of the night). In an office setting that would make a lot of sense though.

When I did go into an office, I wore essentially the same thing every day all year long, long sleeved polo shirt, and deva palazzo pants in a heavy deva cloth [sturdy woven cotton, almost a canvas weight thread not a light tshirty material, The stuff wears better than denim.] I also had a duster length sweater. I hate refrigerated workplaces, where I like my bedroom refrigerated. It is sort of hard to snuggle under a comforter at work.

Lots of reasons for the difference, as other posts have pointed out, but have you noticed that the ones complaining about the heat seem to get involved romantically with the ones pulling on the sweaters? :stuck_out_tongue:

well it is christmas lest talk aboutit

Yep, but never knew the why behind it.

Sorry, I left the window open and my daughter started typing. I’m pretty sure my son did this last year. sorry again.

I’ve read a few books about “feral children” and one of the things they all seem to have in common is indifference to cold and heat. “Genie” probably the most famous child, in the USA, that fits the condition, was shown to have this too.

I don’t know how true it is, but if so, it makes for some interesting thought

You make your children crawl in through the windows? :eek:

I was freezing as I was walking back from the Mt. Everest base camp and nearing the Tengboche Monastery ( 12,600’ ) in the dead of winter around sundown. As the monastery came into sight, I saw a monk up ahead. He was only dressed in some kind of thin robe and was barefoot! It had to be in the mid 30’s F., but it didn’t seem to be bothering him in the least. I don’t know how long he had been walking, but the last settlement that I went through was hours behind me.