College Basketball Omnibus Thread

and again, the larger point was missed. Maybe it was the ncaa that suspended OSU players. But Coaches suspend players all the time for breaking team rules.

NC State hires former Alabama coach Gottfried

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/pack-turns-to-gottfried

Yes, they do, although it’s not always for things like NCAA violations. (And sometimes the schools are just preempting NCAA sanctions.) And the Ohio State situation doesn’t support that point since they didn’t suspend their own players and Tressel got in trouble because he didn’t tell the NCAA after he was informed about what his players were doing.

Perhaps it was me, but this was the most uninteresting NCAA tournament in years. I’m sure there were a lot of great games and all, but the Final Four seemed lopsided and the championship game was boring as all hell.

I thought the tournament was great (and all the upsets are indicative to me of more parity in Div I ball than ever before, coupled with a lack of dynastic teams due to so many NBA-bound players leaving early) but the championship was sure anticlimactic.

So what if the men’s championship game was a stinker? It happens sometimes. The Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals, Masters, Wimbleton, Olympics, World Cup, etc etc have stinkers from time to time too.

Its not a big deal to me at all, but that game certainly lacked the frantic energy of many of the earlier tournament games that came down to the wire, which is why I like the tournament in the first place.

I’d probably feel a little different if my team had won, though.
:wink:

Why is the women’s shot clock only 30 seconds? Men’s is 35, correct? I believe they both play 20 minute halves, so what’s the deal with the shot clock?

Its a different game. the NBA plays 12-minute quarters, NCAA Mens B-ball plays 20 minute halves.

IMO, the biggest difference is the size of the ball. 29.5" circumference for the men, 28.5" for the women.

I can understand why the NBA shot clock is 24 seconds. It is a different game. But I cannot understand why the women’s shot clock has 5 seconds fewer than men’s. If anything, I’d think the men would have the shorter shot clock, for the same reason the NBA does.

This doesn’t fully answer the question, but the women had a shot clock first:

So the women’s shot clock hasn’t changed in 40 years. The men later introduced a 50 percent longer time limit and cut it most of the way down. I think this is just one of those things that happens when different committees have different ideas about the game.