College gives sombreros to students, punishes students for wearing sombreros

I tip my hat to your superior intellect.

And if you don’t get my nachos here post haste…well…NO TIP for you!

The problem here is, i admit, one that goes beyond this thread, and so might not be immediately obvious to the casual observer.

On the one hand, we should judge each individual case on its merits, and make a determination based on the specific of each incident. Even by those standards, however, there are problems with the OP, as pointed out by Snowboarder Bo and Little Nemo. Those problems might not completely negate the central concern of the OP regarding the sombrero issue, but they suggest a somewhat slanted take on the issue.

And therein lies the bigger problem. If i read the OP without looking at the author, this thread might not even have pinged my radar as problematic. As i said, i think it’s a silly over-reaction by the school. But ITR Champion has a long history of offering misrepresentations and mischaracterizations and shitty analysis and unsophisticated generalizations about social and political and cultural issues, and just about all of them are specifically aimed at what might broadly be termed liberal or progressive politics. He has been a disingenuous debater on such issues on so many occasions that he has lost any real claim to the benefit of the doubt, at least from me.

He might, as i suggested in my previous post, find a nut once in a while. I think he’s done it on this occasion. But far more he just finds turds left behind by a passing bull, and in the aggregate, that bullshit outweighs the acorns by a considerable margin. YMMV.

What inaccuracies and misrepresentations? I only see semantic quibbles (e.g. “cancel” vs. “ban”) and equally trivial complaints about facts (Did the college give sombrero to students, or did the college give sombreros to alumni and they somehow wandered to the heads of students? Either way, the college was hypocritical.)

General note: Let’s stop harraging posters about past behavior or posts. Use the Pit if you want to go wild and bring up other instances or examples.

I’m not insulting anyone, so there’s no need for a Pit thread. I’m simply making clear that my evaluation of a particular poster’s arguments rests on an understanding of that person’s posting history that goes beyond this particular incident.

Am I the only one who suspects that the problem was the tequila, not the sombreros? Most college students are still underaged to drink alcohol, and school administrations therefore tend to frown upon parties advertised as being themed around alcohol. This is especially true for students who are living in the on-campus dorms.

Ahhhh tequila…the cause of and the solution to many of life’s problems…

In one of my classes at the university, one Hispanic/Latina/Mexican girl did a report on Panch Villa, and, she actually wore a sombrero, fake moustache, and bandolero. I didn’t have the courage to chastise her for her racism.

Well, the note was just a general one, it wasn’t directed at anyone specifically…however if any “evaluation” you make that includes bringing a poster’s past history into a thread that is not about it should be taken to the Pit rather than made in that thread.

Any time a person has to say (any where in their post) “Blah blah has a history of doing this” or something similar, they are better off making a Pit thread instead of making that comment in the post.

Please drop the discussion now beyond this point and if you have any questions, feel free to make an AMTB topic, PM me, or Pit a poster rather than bring up anything about their posting history.

Have you never done bodyshots?

It the Social Justice Warrior world, it is not even permitted to mind your own business any more. If you should happen to observe partiers wearing toy sombreros, do you
[list=a][li] Intervene, snatching sombreros off people’s heads, throwing them to the floor, and stomping on them, all the while vociferously chastising those people for their disgraceful blatant racism?[/li][li] Quietly leave the party where such intolerable behavior is happening, and then write indignant Letters to Editors (with CC: to the college dean), resulting in everybody getting expelled?[/li][li] Just, y’know, pay no attention and mind your own business?[/list][/li]In “Active Bystander Training”, they indoctrinate you to understand that the correct answer is always (a), preferrably to be followed up by (b) afterward. If you choose option (c) so as to be “neither part of the problem nor part of the solution”, you are now part of the problem.

ETA: The intended idea, of course, is to teach students that if you are at a party and everybody is getting kinda drunk and you see a male (or several) raping a female, you should intervene rather than just mind your own business. But, apparently, this philosophy now even extends to requiring Active Bystander Training if you didn’t intervene when people were wearing toy sombreros.

I wondered about that, too, but for whatever reason, the administration doesn’t seem to be overly bothered by that. (As far as I can tell from Bowdoin’s student newspaper, the push to punish students for their involvement originally came from other students, not the administration.)

I stopped after “Social Justice Warriors”. I’ve never read anything meaningful when that dog whistle is thrown in.

I stop reading when the dog whistle accusation is made.

When, exactly, did college/university officials become even more stupid and gutless than elementary and high school administrators?

The latter set a very low bar, but it seems as if the college honchos* are doing a limbo to get below it.
*apologies if using this term is a form of cultural appropriation.

There’s a Poncho Vitae joke in here somewhere.

Tequila is literally only made in Mexico. It has denomination of origin protection.

It was “cancelled” by the Student Union after having been run since 2008. When you read the statement that was made as to why, it is pretty much equivalent to it having been banned… Here’s the India Times article and one from the Ottawa Sun.

I recall reading the other day that the college ‘supplied hats for a photo booth’. That sounds as if they supplied a variety of hats, which included sombreros. That’s different from the college passing out sombreros.

‘Cancel’ vs. ‘ban’. To put it in board terms, ‘cancel’ is like closing a thread. ‘Ban’ is prohibiting a thread (such as discussion of how to commit illegal activities) or banning a poster.

:shrugs:

Nitpick some more - it’ll help. Only, not.

Regards,
Shodan