Color vs Colour

The problem is that you have a copy editor working for your company who uses American spellings, but your spell-checker on your computer uses British spellings. Can the spell-checker on your computer be set to use American spellings? Some spell-checkers can be adjusted to use either American or British spellings. If you can’t do that, you’ll have to learn the differences between American and British spelling and learn to consistently use American spelling for things you turn in to the copy editor. Incidentally, your company has a sloppy editorial policy. They should tell you beforehand if they want things in British or American spelling. You shouldn’t be finding out about what they want just casually. If fact, I would recommend that you E-mail the copy editor and ask if he/she wants you to use American or British spelling.

Tires in American English.

zelie zelerton, there are no different American meanings to “tyre” or to “gaol.” It’s just that these two words are different enough (and not in a standardized way, like the “our/or” or the “re/er” differences) that an American might not recognize that these are British spellings. An American might, reading fast, assume that they were some other words than “tire” or “jail.”

“Gaol” is an anachronism, IMO. I’ve only ever seen it used rarely. “Jail” is by far the more popular spelling these days.

Well, I don’t know about this, since cities in foreign countries are often spelled differently. Is it wrong to write Rome instead of Roma?

What it boils down to is that, in the example you gave, there is no difference in meaning between “color” and “colour”. It’s a question of, as others have said, editorial policy. I find American spellings jarring, but that’s not because I think they’re wrong. They’re just not what I’m used to.

No, not at all. If the name is English to start with, though, it seems courteous to use the local spelling. That’s why, for example, I hate seeing references to Tony Blair and now Gordon Brown as the “Labor” Prime Minister. “Labour” is a proper noun in this context.

Rome, Cologne, Munich, Vienna and so on are Anglicised names. What I wonder is, how important must a city be to get one of these names? :wink:

Seen in British movie credits: “Colour by Technicolor”.

The confusion I often encounter is when Brits see “tires” and think of the verb when it meant “tyres”. We ran into that one a lot on my F1 forum. Now we are all used to checking locations and keeping the mind open for alternate meanings.

Not in my experience. It was always considered incorrect to spell it ‘color’ when I was in school. I also never knew a Canadian to spell it that way.

Well, I was addressing the issue of whether or not it was correct. Courtesy is a different matter.

I think we get most of those names from the French (or some other language), so I don’t know if “anglicized” (with a z, since I’m American :wink: ) is the right word.

It’s not so much a matter of importance as familiarity to English speakers. Vlissingen in the Netherlands has only about 50,000 people, but it is a port which has had historical links with England, so it gets the Anglicised name Flushing. By contrast, somewhere like Rio de Janeiro is much more important in world terms, but its name has never been Anglicised since it has never had any particularly strong English links.

In England it is spelled “colour,” but in America it is spelled “color.”

The sentence above uses both spellings, no matter who writes it. And the two spellings cannot be interchanged in that sentence.

And in the US, you would have spelled “spelled” wrongly. :smiley:

Seriously, though, I took the OP to mean is there ever a difference in meaning between the two, as in the American Heritage differences in definitions between recreate and re-create. If so, then the answer is no, there is never a difference in meaning.

Sorry, something went wrong with that second link. That’s a difference between recreate and re-create in American Heritage Dictionary.

“You have to”? :dubious: This isn’t France, we have no official Board of American English. My big fat Webster’s unabridged lists both as common usages and acceptable spellings, although it does add “Chiefly Brit.” to “colour.” Note that “Chiefly” not “Limited to” or “always”.

I can’t say that I’ve ever seen “colour” used recently by an American or in American writings. In the 19th century up to a certain point in the 20th, though, British and American spellings seem to have been the same for the most part.

The correct answer is - yes. Please note the following sentence:

In America it is customary to spell the word whose primary definition (source: Merriam Webster’s dictionary is “a phenomenon of light (as red, brown, pink, or gray) or visual perception that enables one to differentiate otherwise identical objects” is “COLUR”. In the UK, the correct spelling is “COLOR”.

In this sentence, interchanging the 2 words, changes the meaning. They cannot be interchanged.

I admit to being confused by these particular spellings. :confused:

Hey, I’ll second this. I frequently use “colour” amd “neigbour” here, and even though Firefox puts the red squiggly underneath no one else here points out the misspellings.

Thanks Global Dopers.

Now if only we could get you U.S. dopers to stop the posts with things like "If I go 10 miles an our over the limit and my concealed gun permit is invalid, can the cops ask for my zip code before they read my Miranda rights, and then take the fifth before the sheriff asks me if I’m DUI even though I’m 20?