Colorado State legislature you can kiss my ass!

you mentioned dna_man’s post count, and implied that his low post count meant that his posts count for nothing.

and therefore that your high post count lends your posts weight.

or so was my understanding of it.

still, you’re only cementing your place in the ‘over-reacting jerk’ section.

GG: You understand wrong.

I did not imply that.

You are incorrect.

Read it again. If you can’t see how I could perceive it that way then you are a bigger idiot than you sound like. You make it sound as if my ‘contribution’ isn’t worth a damn because I haven’t posted thousands of times. I personally think that whoever has enough time to make 3000 posts in 3 years is living entirely too much of their life ‘on the net’, and that their ‘contribution’ is thus diminished in value due to the horrifying lack of real-world experience. You need to get out of the basement and explore real life, then you would realize why I react the way I do. I wanted to talk about fucking telemarketers!

I consider your contribution paltry because none of it appeared to have any value; i.e., thought.

I am not dissuaded by your last posting.

Thank you for thoroughly convincing me of your asshole nature. I wasn’t quite sure. Now I am.

BTW, someone who’s experience consists of being in the military and being a student does not have the right to tell me that I don’t know anything about the real world. Your life experience consists of two of the most artificial environments someone could possibly experience.

Maybe if you took some time to think about what people are saying instead of riduculing those who don’t deserve it, then you would see that what we used to be discussing here was full of information, thought, and intelligence. Obviously those are things you have no ability to recognize.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

{takes another breath}

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Your last posting is certainly one fo the, if not the, most ignorant comments ever made on these boards. That you consider the military to be one of the most artificial environments someone could experience indicates that you haven’t experienced said environment.

Speaking of taking the time to think about something…THINK ABOUT YOUR COMMENT ABOUT THE ELDERLY, JERK!

BTW, how you jumped to the conclusion that those two items in my personal resume are my entire life experience is surely another example of your lack of thinking ability.

Generalize much? There you have it, folks. Some of y’all are railing at me when it’s you also who dna thinks are “such total pices of shit.” Very interesting.

Allow me to summarize:

It’s pretty obvious that I was responding to you when I said that, but no, you’re certainly not alone in your remarkable ability to be a jerk. And trying to get everyone else to turn on me? Pathetic.

again… I did want to complain about telemarketers, but you’ve convinced me that there are worse pieces of shit than that in this world. Puts things in perspective.

And I now realise why you have so many posts. Thanks for totally derailing my thread. You still haven’t explained the problem with my assesment of social security. It’s obvious I’m not going to be able to convince you that you are the piece of crap that you are, but life will eventually show you no matter what. Loser.

Let’s see…we now know the groups dna_man despises: elderly, military, students, fat, but definitely not his groupies, the dung beetles.

I live in Colorado, free market, free society is my belief.

Take your panties out of your ass. Geez.

< big roll eyes smiley here >

If it were to up to me, I would expect that the legislature (sp) do nothing and the market kick and get the laws out of my ass and on to business.

This coming from a Libertarian, that hates restrictive laws but loves working with what she has to keep her phone line private.

Whatever, stop your whining. You are preaching to the choir.

Ohno! Monty says I don’t have a mind! Whatever shall I do? Keep 'em coming Monty- we’re all laughing at you!

Interested in fact? What he said is essentially true. You’re trying to make an argument that sounds fairly pedantic.

What is the difference between this:
"In the Social Security system, the money you pay into the system gets immediately paid back out to the people who are currently getting Social Security checks. " from here.

And what he said:
"Some old dude sittin at home collecting my Social Security payments… "

Some old dude IS collecting his payments.

Now, you could have yelled at him for being insensitive (“some old dude” is not necessarily the nicest way to put it), but technically, he is correct.

Just because you call it an entitlement does not change the fact that the process of money going in and out happens from payer to payee. Similar situation with taxes- I pay them, and they pay for your military and public schooling. I can’t say that the money I pay in taxes only goes to what benefits me, now. Big pools of money go in, big pools come out.

My guess is that you are just an asshole that will defend himself no matter what. I bet that makes you really popular with people in RL.

Piss off, loser-
-Tomcat

I finally see from this:

…that Monty is not pissed off about anything in this thread really. He’s still steamed from a thread a couple months ago where I said fat people made me uncomfortable. He was an asshole like this then too if I remember correctly. I can’t find the thread now, but I’ll admit I was being a jerk in that one.

So now my question is… Monty are you going to hijack every one of my threads with personal, baseless insults now? If so you should be banned.

And Tomcat is right about Social Security, just as I stated before.

Telemarketers suck, but techchick68 makes a good point. I personally am starting to wonder why good 'ol capitalism hasn’t wiped out the telemarketing industry entirely. They must be able to sell stuff this way. I’ve never bought anything from a telemarketer, but someone must be doing it.

You don’t remember correclty, liar. Here’s the thread you just mentioned: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=106223. I didn’t make any posts to it.

I mentioned in another thread (I’m too lazy right now to track it down, sorry) that I used to work in the telemarketing industry. You’re right, dna_man, people DO buy from telemarketers, every minute of every day!!

One point I wanted to make about Do-Not-Call lists:

A loophole exists in most, if not all of these policies. This being that you (once your name is on these DNC lists) will not be called by a company with whom you do not have a legitimate business relationship.

Have a credit card? Then you have a legit business relationship with ABC Visa Card or whoever, and they can call you even if your name is on the DNC. Have a mortgage? Have a bank account? Subscribe to any magazines? All these are legit business relationships and you can be called, even if your name is on the DNC. Believe me, we made LOTS of calls into states with DNC policies, usually what that meant to the callers was having guidelines in the first 10 seconds of the call where we were required to ask permission to continue.

The thing that will really help is to call your credit card companies and ask to “opt out” of having your information given to other companies and telling them not to contact you by phone. This takes awhile, too, but will greatly reduce the number of calls you get.

I know, I know, we shouldn’t have to go to all this trouble to not be bothered. But this is the reality, unfortunately. I have Caller ID and don’t answer the phone unless I know EXACTLY who is calling me. Incidentally, this has caused my phone to ring less and less. I have rambled a bit, but once a phone number has gone through a certain amount of cycles with no answer, it can also be removed by the company trying to contact you. Of course, that takes a LONG time to happen and is completely at the mercy of the company doing the calling.

the way i understand this is that it’s a law enforcing the do not call list. the fines apply if you call someone on the list.

personally, i would like telemarketers to simply show up on my caller id. i can’t avoid “unavailable” calls, because that’s how some of my friends and creditors (who i do want to speak to, oddly enough) show up.

Yeah exactly. I can’t use CallerID because some of the people I want to talk to don’t show up. I shouldn’t have to buy such a thing as a telezapper though… it’s just not right that you should have to buy a product to help protect you from something you shouldn’t have a problem with in the first place.

It’s like this situation I vaguely remember from when I was was growing up. We lived in a small Kansas farm town of about 800 people, most of whom live out of town on farms. Suddenly we had a couple of burglaries in town with really expensive stuff stolen… after something like 50 years without so much as a break-in. Couple weeks later a guy in town opened a business selling security equipment like burglar alarms and door stoppers and such. Turns out he was the one who robbed the houses.

I should have to play this game with the phone company? They sell my name to people who they know damn well are going to annoy the crap out of me, and then they sell me something to stop them from calling? I realize the phone company doesn’t sell telezappers, but they do sell other services to ‘protect’ you from telemarketers… at the same time making you think you need those services by facilitating the annoyance.

Someone just called me this morning on my cellular phone, begging me to listen to ‘The Fox’ radio here in Denver! Pathetic. And I payed about 9 cents for that.

Techchick, I strongly disagree. Even the most “orthodox” of Libertarians believe that a (perhaps the!!! ) legitmate role of government is to prevent fraud and coercion(sp), which would include theft.

By calling me without my implied permission (I have an unlisted number, I’m on every “do not call” list around, etc) they are stealing the use of my phone. Theft, even if it’s only theft of a few seconds/pennies is still theft.

This is precisely the sort of thing that I want the government to get involved with.

Fenris

Fenris, I would agree with you on principle but I also disagree because it is up to us as human beings to do what we can to protect ourselves.

Thus, getting the government involved in telemarketing on the onset (meaning restrictions and such) only leaves more people clammering to the state to protect us even more.

We as consumers need to take a role in this. Take the current laws on the books and use them to our advantage. While I don’t agree with many, many, many (you get the idea) of the laws, it is also our responsibility as consumers to take control and not expect the government to protect us from telemarketers or many other things.

So from that stand point, we all get on Qwest’s ass to help us out. We pay a lot of money for our services here, and they should listen (assuming enough people whine to them) to help us out even more.

I don’t think that the government should be in control of this, it should be up to us consumers to tell those that provide us services to help us rather than have it mandated via a government law. One voice doesn’t do much and many wont say anything, I do. I get on people’s asses about stupid shit. I have done it many a times with Qwest and I will continue.

I finally, FINALLY got them to follow up on the “unavailable” caller list. Jerks, but I kept on them with it. People that call me are required to state their name or phone number if their name and phone number can’t show up. I have only calls from those I want to call with a few minor scamming trolls of telemarketing and I give them a fucking ear full. Oh and I think I have that telemarketer thing too. Yeah it costs ME more but I am willing to pay extra to the phone co and not involve the state in my problems.