Columbus Day v Indigenous People's Day v Leif Erikson Day

That doesn’t follow at all, at least not by my intuition.

~Max

ISTM that you’re thinking a country is strictly a formal state entity, and nothing more. What others are saying is that a country is more than that, and includes the land, peoples, cultures, etc., that make it up and made it up. So American history is the history of the formal state of the USA, but also the history of the people that live within its borders, and the history of the people that lived on the land that eventually became part of the USA.

So it seems like a semantics discussion.

Indigenous culture did and in some areas does influence the culture of the United States.

I have not, or at least I don’t think I have.

I did read the reviews you linked, but not having read the book yet I have no formed opinion on the claims.

I don’t believe indigenous Americans were stupid. I don’t even believe the concept of a nation or state is predicated on agriculture.

Agreed… but I don’t think I’ve claimed otherwise.

~Max

And for my own part, my family has no ties to England or Angles or Saxons. One side is, I believe (would have to check), entirely descended from Russian Jews fleeing pogroms just over a century ago. The other side fled China in 1949, within living memory.

~Max

I should have written, the side of history opposite the U.S. As in wars and such.

~Max

Then perhaps you should revisit your intuition.

What are you trying to say here? I assume you made a counterargument, but I see this (by simple substitution)

the shared history needs to include the history of the United States

not this

no history is excluded

I didn’t attempt to include the history only of Europeans, I would exclude history of any individual before they join the nation.

That is true.

Will address this with MrDibble’s post later.

You don’t have to agree with me… but I do get to declare what the national identity of the USA is.

~Max

There is a reason behind my opinion, which you actually picked up on right here:

National identity is singular. It follows from semantics. Stop me where you disagree: “identity” is singular, therefore “national identity” is also singular.

~Max

If I was, not on purpose.

~Max

I have made a grievous mistake. By my own arguments the voyages of Columbus are not properly U.S. history. If you would allow me to revise my response,

Neither would properly be part of U.S. history.

~Max

nm, posted before I was ready

I don’t see the self-evident moral value, so I guess that’s that.

~Max

OK. So we’re done here, right? You’ve agreed that the entire premise of your thread was wrong.

That may be the focus of the discussion, but aside from linguistics I do actually take a position - a weak one I admit, but as of yet still my opinion - and others actually disagree with it.

~Max

(If only it were so easy!)

~Max

No, unfortunately Columbus being part of U.S. history was not the premise. That was a tangent. :sad:

~Max

No, it really isn’t. Are you saying that a national identity that includes descendants of slaves and descendants of slave-owners is singular? That the national identity of the DAR and those of the Japanese interned during WWII are singular?

Your premise doesn’t pass the smell test. You’re striving to support an idea that makes no sense, and you’re twisting yourself into knots trying to defend it. It’s a worthless definition since it doesn’t mean anything to vast number of Americans.

I’m still trying to understand your viewpoint and it still doesn’t seem to make sense.

According to your narrow legalistic view, are you saying that nothing that happened before 1776 was part of US history, because the US didn’t legally exist before that?

And that nothing that happened outside the formal borders of the US is part of US history if it didn’t involve US citizens?

And what is a National Identity? Who does it apply to? What is it used for?

um, I guess you’re right about that. We appear to have been arguing about that only since post 35 of a now roughly 280 post thread.

Or maybe that’s what we’ve been arguing about since post 35. It doesn’t seem to be getting any clearer, whatever it is.