Comedians who turn out to have good dramatic acting skills

From the OP. :slight_smile:

facepalm And, here, I skimmed the thread to see if he’d been mentioned. Mea culpa.

My fave dramatic role was his guest appearance on *Homicide: Life on the Streets" as the husband of a woman shot and killed by a mugger. Emotionally harrowing.

I thought Andrew Dice Clay did a fine job with his non-comedic roles in Blue Jasmine and A Star Is Born.

Tiffany Haddish is an excellent standup comedian, but she is also an excellent actress. She was a real hard ass in “Kitchen”, which is the total opposite of her comedic personality.

I tuned into Ozark hoping for some good Michael Bluth-type yuks, but after a few episodes I had to conclude that it wasn’t a comedy.

Jason Bateman, how could you do this to me?

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but does anyone else believe that, assuming a certain level of being able to perform (like a vast majority of comedians have), dramatic acting really isn’t that difficult? I can name many more comedians that have succeeded (like those in this thread) than have failed miserably (Dane Cook? Ashton Kutcher?).

I think there are a lot of British examples. Ben Miller, for instance. I first saw him doing comedy in Armstrong&Miller sketches on YouTube, but he did really well in Death In Paradise, and Primeval.

Even though he started in sitcoms, and was great in Arrested Development, I think of him as more of a classic straight man than a full-fledged comedian. Not that there’s anything wrong with that! In Vaudeville, the straight man of a comedy duo (Abbott of ‘Abbott & Costello’, for example) got the bigger slice of a 60-40 split.

Quincy has recently started running on one of my classic TV channels, and I’ve caught an episode or two. I still associate Jack Klugman most strongly with The Odd Couple, but your mileage may vary.

The ever-charming and -folksy Andy Griffith, in his turn as the charming and folksy monster Lonesome Rhodes in A Face in the Crowd.

I’m under the impression that Griffith was a singer first, actor second and then went on to legendary fame as the lead in the Andy Griffith Show. I seem to think most of his acting in the 50s was dramatic.

Whenever I watch award shows like the Oscars and they give Best Acting awards to people like mentioned in this thread (no real acting background, no formal training, no years spent doing plays, etc) if the career actors in the audience who spent years going to acting school, years on stage, years going to auditions have any form of resentment for comediennes/singers who nab an award on their first or second try.

Wow, serious Mandela Effect here: I’ve been thinking of this movie lately, for no particular reason, but I’d have bet money it was Billy Crystal, not Tom Hanks, who starred opposite Jackie Gleason.

Surprised that nobody has mentioned that Tom Hanks played a standup comic in the movie Punchline. Once again art imitates art.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Serious actors, or non-actors, doing comedy later on…

In the few films I’ve seen him in, Johnny Knoxville does a decent job, but I guess he likes the Jackass stuff more-and it regularly earns money, so…

I remember Stephen Colbert being surprisingly good in this or that L&O episode as a guy who may or may not be a forger and may or may not be a murderer — but who isn’t, y’know, one of the playful suspects they get from time to time: maybe he’s hiding something, or maybe he’s wearing his heart on his sleeve, but there’s nothing funny about it.

Kevin Hart is really good in Fatherhood as a traumatized single dad.

What about his comedy albums and No Time for Sergeants?