comics that cracked me the hell up

when i was a kid, this garfield Garfield - Season - TV Series | Nick made me laugh like crazy. i can’t remember laughing at any comic harder than that time.

i think it’s the look on jon and garfield’s faces in the last panel.

Oddly, the version that ran in this part of the world (and the accompanying T-shirt and I also believe, the calendars) had the caption “Bummer of a birthmark, Hal”…

Some other great Far Side cartoons include one in which the Sheriff of a Western town walks into a bar in which a pair of cowboys are making a pyramid out of revolvers. The Sheriff is saying “Sorry boys, but we don’t allow gunplay in this town”.

Then there’s another one that shows God engaged in various Vaudeville-style stage performances, with the captions “Acts Of God”.

And who could forget “God At His Computer”, which shows God, sitting in front of a PC displaying the image of a Grand Piano hanging over some poor sod’s head. God’s finger is hovering over a prominent red button labelled “Smite”.

It’s a shame Gary Larson isn’t doing them anymore…

My favorite Far Side also involved spiders. Two of them are on a tree branch. The one facing the reader has a paper bag over his head and his front legs raised in a threatening manner; the one with its back to the reader is drawn back defensively, and has a pile of silk below it. The caption reads, “Admit it - I scared you!”

No, no…that’s not oddly. That’s “I forgot the actual name so picked a random one”. :smiley:

I have at my desk my favorite Peanuts strip. Snoopy is dressed as Santa ringing a bell. Lucy walks up and says, “If you’re a real Santa Claus, where are your reindeer?” and walks off with a smug smile. Snoopy thinks to himself, “I know what I should have said…I should have said, 'I got hungry last winter so I ate them.” :smiley:

Calvin and Hobbs 20 October 1989:

Calvin (on phone): "Hello? Valley hardware? Yes, I’m calling to see if you sell blasting caps, detonators, timers and wire. "

“Just the wire? OK, forget it. Do you rent bulldozers or backhoes?”

"No, no, a rototiller won’t do at all. I need something more like a wrecking ball. Do you know where I could get anything like that? No? OK, goodbye. "

“Looks like another boring day, Hobbes.”

Charlie Brown has been granted the honor of being on the safety patrol. He’s standing proudly in the street with his plastic belt and his stop sign, directing kids across the crosswalk.

Lucy walks by, without making eye contact, and says with maximum disdain: “Fuzz…”

Yeah, the same thing happens to me when I see a Bush speech. :wink:

I love Calvin & Hobbes, but the single strip that popped into my mind is the following Far Side cartoon.

PANEL 1: Parakeet in cage looking at cuckoo clock.
PANEL 2: Parakeet in cage looking at cuckoo clock.
PANEL 3: Parakeet in cage looking at cuckoo clock.
PANEL 4: Parakeet in cage looking at cuckoo clock.
PANEL 5: Cuckoo pops out, says “Cuckoo”; parakeet shouts “SEND HELP!”
PANEL 6: Parakeet in cage looking at cuckoo clock.

A friend and I were reading that in the study hall library, and for some reason that sent us both into a red-faced, trembling, ultimately fruitless laugh-suppression fit.

I used to have that one on a t-shirt!

Oh yeah, The Far Side is my all time favorite. It introduced me to graveyard humor, just in time to help me deal with high school. My favorite? Pilot in the cockpit: "The fuel light’s on, Hank! We’re all gonna die! We’re all gonna die! Whoops, my mistake. That’s the intercom light.

You know, come to think of it, my favorite comics were downright therapeutic.

Bloom County cracked me up, but it also taught me to take an absurdist view of life, and showed me not everything made sense in the world.

I owe Matt Groening and Scott Adams quite a bit. Life in Hell and Dilbert ended my cubicle hell career life path before it even began. I started reading them at a young age, and by the time I stopped, I knew to take that lower paying interesting job and see where it took me rather than just to go for the paycheck.

That was not only the best run Watterson ever had, it might have been the best run any daily-strip cartoonist has had ever.

First, you have Calvin eating his way through enough boxes of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs to aquire the necessary box tops. Then he waits and waits and waiiiiiiiits for the beanie. Finally it arrives and he tears the box open. “Some assembly required. Batteries not included.” Then he refuses to let Hobbes help him assemble it, claiming he’ll only mess it up, then SNAP. “MY MOTOR BROKE! THE PIECE SNAPPED! MY PROPELLER BEANIE IS BROKEN AND I DIDN’T EVEN GET TO WEAR IT! STUPID ROTTEN PIECE OF LOUSY JUNK!” (I mean, who hasn’t been there?) Then he brings it to Dad, who sees that it was just the casing for the battery that snapped, and glues it back together. (“Hey, Mom! Dad fixed something!” “He DID? YOUR dad?” “All right, that’s enough!”) Then he puts the beanie on, flips the switch, and…the propeller just whirs around. “I don’t seem to be lifting off. This is very peculiar.” Hobbes: “That’s the word I was looking for!”

So the next day has Calvin at the bus stop, glowering. Susie asks him what’s wrong – “Couldn’t you find all the bugs you needed for your insect collection?” “My insect collection! OH NO!” Turns out that even though “it’s all the class has been doing” for the past month, he didn’t lift a finger to amass an insect collection, because his beanie obsession was all-consuming. At school, Susie is the one who gets in trouble, for shushing Calvin when he offers her thirty cents for her insect collection, and has to walk the Last Mile to Principal Spittle’s office. Fortunately, he believes her side of the story (“Oh, yes, we’ve got quite a file on our friend Calvin”) and that is finally the end of it.

As for single strips, the two that almost asphyxiated me were the one where Calvin rehearses asking his mom for a flame thrower, hoping that “Bambi eyes” will seal the deal, and the Sunday strip where C&H transmogrify each other with Calvin’s water pistol. Hobbes transmogrifies Calvin into a daisy, which is still able to fire back at Hobbes, who was, I think, a warthog. Watterson is the master of visuals. Only Jim Borgman even comes close.

The Calvin and Hobbes snowmen never fail to make me laugh until milk comes out my nose.

A Dilbert cartoon that I keep taped to my work monitor has only two panels. In one, a character says, “When will my raise be effective?” Answer balloon from the right: “The same time you are.”

Kliban panel cartoon from 'way back: two hold-up men in a bank surrounded by about fifty cops, all with their guns drawn and pointed directly at the bank robbers. One robber to the other: “Switch to plan B.”

Booth panel cartoon set in a garage. A car has fallen off a lift and is upside-down on the floor with smoke coming out. A mechanic stands nearby with his head hanging, running his finger around the rim of a fifty-gallon drum. The boss scolds him: “Shame on you, Jamie! Mr. Huntington is going to be here in a few minutes, and what am I going to say to him? Am I going to say, ‘Mr. Huntington, Jamie made a boo-boo?’”

Two consecutive daily Get Fuzzy strips. First strip: Bucky (the cat) has gone searching for a way out of the apartment and is now trapped in an air vent. Satchel (the dog) hears a disembodied voice: “Satchel! Saatchel!” Satchel replies, “God?! Where are you?!” Bucky: “I’m stuck in the air vent.” Satchel: “What are you doing in my air vent, God?” Satchel: “You idiot! Shut up and listen to me!” Satchel, clearly anguished: “What have I done to anger thee, oh Lord?” Bucky: "Shut up! Shut up!

Next day’s strip: Bucky, still in the air vent: “Satchel! You have to let me out of your air vent!” Satchel: “But God. . . Why for art thou innest my air vent to beginnith with. . . ith?” Bucky: “I’m not God, you filthy, stupid moron! I’m stuck!” Satchel, with a surprised and horrified look on his face: “You mean. . . Satan is stuck in my air vent?!” Bucky: “When I get outta here I’m gonna kill you! Kill!” Satchel, now looking determined while making a cross with two pencils: “Begone! Possess my ductwork no more, foul demon!”

Boondocks daily strip with Riley and Jazmine. Riley: “Jazmine, this whole ‘tooth fairy’ thing. . it’s f’real?” Jazmine: “Yes!” Riley: “One dollar, cash. Next day. Per tooth. No questions asked?” Jazmine: “Yep.” Riley: “Does it matter whose teeth they are?”