Companies you regret purchasing from because of their Spamming?

Not so much a place I purchased from, but a place I “did business” with - if I gave blood every time the Red Cross called or emailed a “desperate plea”, I’d be a shriveled up husk blowing in the wind. “There he goes, good ol’ Tumbleweed Doc!”

Years ago, my wife and I bought a Feldco door because our front door was a non-standard size. We like the door just fine but I’m not a fan of the emails and calls from them.

Allergy Buyers Club. The pillows I purchased were wonderful, but the company sold my name and address to a lot of other companies, and I’ve been getting junk snail mail from all of them for about 20 years now. I know where it all started because I signed up as “Mallergy Dwyer” (slightly altered for privacy purposes). The actual phony name is now Googlable and comes up with my actual address.
Unethical bastards.

Greenpeace. As far as I could tell, they were using all the money I gave them to send me more appeals.
And it really ticks me off when a charity sends me a thank you letter that is mostly a solicitation for further donations.

Hormel.
mmm

They are a dirty little company. Connected to a crime syndicate, I believe. I have never ordered anything from them but I get several catalogues and/or sales papers from them monthly, for at least 20 years. A small forest has been cut down to provide me with this crap. When the rain forest is completely gone they may go out of business. Maybe.

ETA I forgot to tell of their passive/aggressive catalogues that have a cover sheet that warns ‘this may be your last catalogue, Beck, order within 10 days to keep receiving our sales notices’ (one day it may come true, please!)

Is there someone who can show you how to use the unsubscribe link?

Sears. I bought a Kenmore fridge ONLY because we had a weirdly shaped hole for a fridge.

Anyway, the lighting failed exactly three days after the warranty did. Cost $260 to repair. Left it in the house I sold two years ago. I still get their spam. It won’t stop.

A while back, for various reasons, I made a $125 donation to the JDL. I am not Jewish. Ever since then, I have been sent letter after letter after letter asking for more donations - to them, to the Birthright program, to just about every Jewish charity one can think of.

I really ought to tell them not to send it, but I can’t quite be arsed to do so.

heh my aunt has a sears card and bought the extended repair warranties when she bought the so everytime they came out to fix one of them shed get a call about an extension well in 2012 she had them paid up to 2019

Every single company that I ever gave my email address to; fuck them all.

It"s Just Lunch. Assholes are calling years after I used them for a couple of weeks.

I get daily message from a local place called Crazy Shirts, but I generally like those. Also Reyn Spooner, maker of Aloha shirts. But I could generally do without my daily dose of Barnes and Noble and Famous Footwear.

We get snail mail spam from the Catholic Church.

When my gf’s husband was caught repeatedly cheating, he blamed their lack of religiosity on his inability to keep it in his pants. He signed them up to go to church, but she bailed, choosing instead divorce and sleeping in on Sunday.

Ever since then (12 years or so) the church sends weekly envelopes filled with envelopes. I keep them and used them for scratch paper/shopping lists/etc.

We used ArcView for a special project in 1992, which lasted about three months. I’m still getting spam (both paper and email) from ESRI.

You can make it even easier in GMail by reporting it as spam and GMail will attempt to unsubscribe for you.

I booked a hotel room recently through Expedia and was getting emailed 2-3x a day. Clicked their unsubscribe link and it said “Thanks, it may take ten days to process your request”. That’s just bullshit – this isn’t a note to Martha to contact the customer outreach department and see if Jane can locate my file and put a note in it. These are computers, it could remove me instantly if it wanted to but they just want the window to send me shit for the next week and a half. That’s why I just report it all as spam and block it.

For me it is the Red Cross. I donated blood about 2 years ago, and while donating filled out the information sheet.
Every single day since then, they not only e-mail me but also call 1-2 times a day as well to set up my next donation. I know the poor volunteers are just handed a call list, but each one needs to realize they are the nth caller that week.
And they call all the time, even on weekends and holidays, as early as 7AM and as late as 10PM, from different phone numbers.:mad:

Oh man, the Red Cross. Here’s my personal experience with the American Red Cross. I was a grad student in Hawaii (along with the future Mrs. Siam Sam) when Hurricane Iniki hit. It veered almost at the last minute before it would have slammed into Honolulu and the whole island of Oahu, hitting Kauai instead, minimizing the damage. But there was still a lot of damage on Kauai.

The Red Cross sent teams to the state, and out by Honolulu Airport they set up a phone bank for taking donations. I responded to a call for volunteers by the U of Hawaii to help man the phone bank. So out to the airport I went. I found the room and was plunked down in front of a telephone. There were five of us sitting in a row – two to my left, two to my right and me in the middle. The way it worked was the person’s phone on the end to my left was the first to ring, then if and when that one was busy the second one would ring with the next call coming in, then mine if both of those were busy and so on down the line.

Only the first two phones ever rang. Mine never rang. Two phones were enough. The two persons to my right and I just sat there the whole time, the better part of an afternoon, twiddling our thumbs. Not one single call did we three take. Finally we were all thanked for coming out and sent on our merry way.

For the next year, and I mean a full 12 months, I was inundated with offers from the Red Cross to purchase this or that Hurricane Iniki Relief Effort merchandise since I had been “part of the team.” This was before e-mail, so this all came to me snail mail and kept filling up my mailbox. At special prices, I could have purchased a Hurricane Iniki Relief Effort coffee mug, or ballpoint pen, or lots of other stuff that I can’t even remember now. I (we) graduated, left Hawaii and returned to Thailand almost a year and a half after Hurricane Iniki, and for all I know, my old mailbox in Hawaii is still getting notices decades later.

This resulted in me being less-than-enchanted with the American Red Cross.