Complete this sentence: "He folded like a cheap..."

Pocket knife.
They don’t stay firmly open or closed, so they can bite you by closing when you are using them or when they open a little in your pocket.

I’ve heard “suit” most often (the idea being that you’d never fold an expensive suit, and also that a cheap suit is flimsy and more easily folded). But I’ve also heard “card table” and like that better. I have heard “folded like a house of cards”, but never in conjunction with “cheap”.

A cheap card table. Because they fold when you don’t want them to… like when you’re, you know, trying to play cards on them.

I’d never thought of that before!

Condom.

Hooker.

I’ve mostly heard “tent”, I think, and “suit” which makes less sense since one doesn’t typically fold suits for storage.

My favorite though is “[he] folded faster than Superman on laundry day”. Can’t remember where I first heard/read it but it’s my go-to analogy for folding :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard the expression “folded like a cheap suit”, but I have heard the expressions “folded like a cheap card table” and “all over you like a cheap suit”. I wonder if the two got conflated?

How do you fold a camera? :confused:

Large format film cameras may still use bellows construction, for all I know. It used to be pretty common. Polaroid cameras were using it into the 1970’s, at least.

Through the 1970s, cameras often folded accordion-style into a box.

Good thought, there… I remember originally hearing “all over him like a cheap suit” to mean a micromanaging boss type, or (in a sports context) someone applying a suffocating man-on-man defense at basketball or football. “Folded like a cheap suit” doesn’t make much sense, because while it’s true that one would not hang an expensive suit, it’s still true that one would not hang a cheap suit either, because even cheap suits come with jacket hangers (I guess the pants may get folded by some folks).

As for a house of cards, they don’t fold, they fall (or collapse). As in, “If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!”

Cheap house of cards? As opposed to an expensive house of cards that never folds?

Ah, cheers guys :slight_smile: