Conan Doyle Fans: What's your favorite NON Sherlock story?

Those are great. What I love about them is that Sharkey is a complete and utter bastard - no romantic “pirate with a heart of gold” he. :smiley:

For some odd reason I’ve always liked When the World Screamed a late Prof. Challenger story. Though I also like The Lost World.

Rifleman Dodd, to wit ! I remember him featuring “ephemerally” also in an earlier “Sharpe”, than that in which he plays a big part. IIRC, it’s on the retreat to Corunna – the squad’s sergeant has just been killed, and Sharpe is mentally doing “eeny-meeny-miney-mo” as regards which of the survivors might replace him. He thinks, “Tongue? – he’s educated and intelligent, but a hopeless alcoholic, and too much of a sympathiser with Napoleon and the French. Gataker? – no, he’s a delinquent street kid, wouldn’t get what being a sergeant is about. Dodd? – no, he’s too thick. Hey, what about Patrick Harper?”

It rather seems that everyone likes TWC and SN, except me – perhaps I’m “Johnny-out-of-step”, and should try the books again, setting previous prejudice aside. Cameron’s book sounds interesting. “The Ill-Made Knight” is, I believe, an old meme – I think it comes up in T.H. White’s The Once And Future King , in reference to Sir Lancelot – “ill-made” as in coming up from poverty, lacking the wherewithal to afford the upper crust’s knightly gear.

? You mean 45-year-old Brendan Fraser? Not that he’s not athletic and smart, but I just can’t see him as the 23-year-old cub reporter Ned Malone in The Lost World.

The Stark Munro Letters, based on Conan Doyle’s own experiences starting medical practice as assistant to a successful charlatan