Confused about Cable Internet connection speeds ect.

Maybe you are confusing megabits and kilobytes? Remember there are 8 bits in a byte. A 2.3 megabit connection would be around a 350 kilobyte download.

As a pretty serious online gamer, I can tell you that Mr2001 pretty much hit it on the head with his comments about latency. I find a low latency is much more important that a lot of bandwidth. Just about any speed of broadband with a decent latency will be fine for gaming.

Thats because when your surfing, you spend a relatively short period of time loading pages and long waits in between doing nothing. Playing games OTOH, requires a small but steady stream of data which will block any other computer from accessing the internet…

If that small, steady stream of data is blocking every other computer, something’s seriously wrong with your router.

I can play Halo 2 online in my living room while my PC is uploading and downloading (say, 30 kbps down and 20 kbps up). The combined data rate is still well below my cable modem’s limit, and my router has no trouble keeping both connections going.