Conspiracy theories: Why the outlandish ones that don't even sound remotely real?

It’s been a while since I did the research on Ultra (for a class) but I don’t think this is true. The Germans changed aspects of Ultra all the time (usually codes and practices) and there were many periods where the Brits couldn’t read the messages. Most famously was when the German navy added an additional rotor.

The British high command (including Churchill) knew that Ultra could go dark at any moment and so they had a use-it-or-lose-it mentality. I don’t remember there being any Ultra intelligence that had impact on lives being ignored to protect the operation.

Here’s a story about someone making a (clearly ridiculous) CT in order to make money: Are Birds Actually Government-Issued Drones? So Says a New Conspiracy Theory Making Waves (and Money) | Audubon

Most real conspiracies are proven true since most people can’t keep quiet or, the facts come out. I think some people want to believe they know The Truth and others don’t. I find some theories entertaining. Is there a weirdest?

Clearly there are a number of types of conspiracy theories, but the styles and content somewhat overlap.

I was watching this Youtube video on the origins of the medieval witch and was struck by how even now the same religious and fear driven conspiracy components continue.
One common theme we still see at the back of some religious based CTs is an end of days cult. And a backwards logic that seeks to justify the conclusion by fitting almost anything to the desired result. The witch hunters were convinced that Satan believed he was about to lose the battle, and had engaged women into a demonic relationship to depopulate the world and win the battle. So, with a sense of urgency, women were seduced into sexual congress with the devil himself, and would go out into the world to kill (and eat) children, unborn and infant, thus weakening the world. Some of this activity involved potions, and thus poisons (and thus a relationship between the ambiguous biblical translation of witch versus poisoner - which was used as a justification for the 50,000 plus executions done in the name of witchhunting.) Eventually, by a process of logic it becomes clear that the only way tens of thousands of women are having sexual congress with the devil is if they can fly to the assignations on mountain tops or deep woods. Thus broomsticks. Obvious in’it?

But here we go again. Satanic worship and child killing? Clearly QAnon, if nothing else, had a sense of history. I can’t help feeling that one place where QAnon got traction was the manner in which the CT matched into end-of-days fundamentalism. Once you tie into fundamental faith, logic is always the poor cousin. The facts are required to be bent to fit the conclusion. If need be, new facts must be manufactured from thin air. They must be correct, because the conclusion is unassailable. So all is justified.

In the past I was convinced that QAnon probably started as a joke after a few too many beers one night. But looking at it from the above point of view, whoever thought it up was more nuanced. (What bugs me is that I met someone here in Australia who was totally into QAnon before it even broke in the media as a thing here.)

The relationship between fundamental faith, racism, and bigotry is pretty solid. So it shouldn’t be much of a surprise that CTs find fertile ground here. Sometimes in unexpected ways. The fundamentalism doesn’t need to be a mainstream religion. Anti-vaxxers are case in point. Received truth can come from many sources, and the pedlars of spiritual woo are just as potent.