Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

Never mind. Sorry.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/video-shows-grand-rapids-cop-shoot-unarmed-black-man-in-the-head-family-calls-it-an-execution/ar-AAWecgC?li=BBnb7Kz

I have not been able to view the video. Anyone see it?

I’m not sure if anyone has posted the follow up to this, but the audio was released late last month. It’s horrible.

“Look at me, motherfucker. You wanna play fucking games? You wanna get disrespectful with my fucking officers? I will remove your fucking soul from your fucking body,” Pullease tells the handcuffed man in the back of a police cruiser, according to the audio.

Once the officer pulls him off the arrested man, he screams at her: “What the fuck, don’t ever fucking touch me again!” “Get the fuck off me.”

Somehow, this shit stain is still on paid leave.

THAT is one dangerous motherfucker.
He should be fired and arrested for assaulting a police office, as well as beating and threatening a suspect in custody.

Forget it, Jake. It’s Florida.

It’s linked in the article, but here it is.

I watched the video. Unless something else comes out, I think the cop was justified. That was an impossible situation.

The problem is that the cop has the option of either escalating the situation until it becomes “justified” to shoot, or they can deescalate and they can both go on their ways.

The cop chose the former, and in a better world, he would have chosen the latter.

But, as long as they can create a situation where they can claim that they were in fear for their life, their actions, not just in the shooting, but those leading up to it as well, will be defended by those who don’t see the person they shot as a person at all.

Legally, probably meets the standards of “justified”. Ethically, the entire situation is a reflection of the problems with police culture in the first place.

The victim wasn’t armed.

That just makes him even more dangerous! Everyone knows that an unarmed person is likely to steal the officer’s gun.

Nature abhors a firearm vacuum.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-connecticut-state-trooper-was-arrested-2-years-after-he-shot-and-killed-a-teen/ar-AAWrRY1?cvid=74c913a8edc343b898ef59166ba0a647

The arrest Brian North followed the [completion of a state Inspector General investigationthat determined his use of force in the death of Mubarak Soulemane was unjustified

2 cops racially profile a black driver…another KC cop

We really need to see the video.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ex-officer-charged-in-assault-on-mother-driving-near-protest/ar-AAWsCC8?li=BBnbfcL

Philly police are some lying-ass mutherfuckers.

showed a Philadelphia officer holding Young’s son with a caption claiming police had found the child wandering shoeless in the melee and calling the officers heroes.

The post was later deleted, but was shared widely on social media.

He wasn’t armed when he got out of his car, sure. But at some point he grabbed the cop’s taser, and that’s when the wrestling match really started. Lyoya and the cop were fighting for control of the taser. The cop couldn’t get it away from him and was running out of energy. If the cop had tried to just back away to a standoff distance at that point, he would have been at risk for getting tased and then losing complete control of the situation; if that had happened, Lyoya might have just run away, or he might have curbstomped the cop, or he might have taken the cop’s gun and shot him. I agree with @Galactus that the cop was justified in the shooting, but I also think he exercised poor judgment earlier by deploying his taser within arm’s reach of Lyoya, making it possible for Lyoya to grab the taser and ultimately resulting in a situation where Lyoya could have gained control.

Right, and that point was after the cop had used it on him.

Someone keeps trying to hurt you, you try to stop them from hurting you, that’s pretty instinctual. I’d like to see you try to keep your hands to yourself as someone tases you.

And by escalating the situation at every turn, “justifying” his use of violence to demand compliance, and ultimately “justifying” his use of deadly force to end a situation of his own creation.

In most of the clips I see of people being tased, they quickly stop fighting and start following the officer’s instructions. Once in a while you get somebody with ODD who refuses to comply no matter what is done to them. Or, yes, you get somebody who instinctually tries to physically stop what’s being done to them. And because sometimes people fight back, the cop always needs to keep his taser/gun out of reach of whomever he’s trying to detain. If this officer had done so, the situation never would have devolved into a shooting.

Cops are trained to maintain control of the situation, which includes not letting a detainee escape. In this case, the cop doesn’t know why Lyoya ran. Maybe Lyoya was just scared of a ticket, but maybe he just killed a guy four blocks back. Cop doesn’t know who this guy is, what his motives are, or what he might do if he escapes custody. If you as a citizen/taxpayer would rather see cops let detainees flee once in a while so as to reduce the frequency with which lethal force is used against such detainees, you’ll need to be willing to absolve the cops of responsibility in those cases where escaped detainees later go on to commit violent crimes before they’re apprehended again.

Yes, well, we wouldn’t want THAT to happen, would we? We should maintain the status quo where cops are held responsible for their actions.

This begs the question of defining “control.”

An example I’ve mentioned before, based on my experience here in Europe: An apparently unstable individual entered a busy shopping area brandishing a knife. The police arrived quickly and established a safety perimeter around the man, keeping civilians away, and also not approaching themselves. Eventually the guy got tired, and they apprehended him peacefully.

In the US, police would take control of the situation using force, tasing and/or tackling the guy.

Were the European police any less in control?

Yes, most people succumb quickly to torture.

In this case, the officer wasn’t issuing instructions, he was just assaulting him. He wasn’t looking for a rational discussion, he was looking to hurt someone, and this someone happened to be on his radar.

On this, I don’t know. How do you keep a taser out of reach of someone you are trying to use it on?

This cop lost control of the situation when he woke up and put on his badge that morning. He was unable to control himself and his hostility.

Or maybe because the officer approached him with hostility, and turned to violence quickly.

Which is why he should approach a situation with caution, not with hostility.

I’d like to see less straw, for sure.

You say that as if they are held responsible in those cases.

This guy had no business being a cop. Maybe he was just having a “bad day”, and every other day, he’s a sterling example of protect and serve. But he was antagonistic from word one, he refused to explain why he had pulled Lyoya over, and just started barking out demands. He wasn’t trying to control the situation, he was trying to dominate another person and assert his authority, very quickly turning to violence once it was evident that he lacked the personal authority to gain compliance.

Cops are too quick to turn to violence, especially against members of minority groups. The person they are dealing with is not trained for this interaction, they are usually nervous, and certainly not in their best frame of mind. The cop is the one who is trained for this interaction, has control over how the situation is approached, and should be the one who is acting the mature adult in the situation.

Rather than try to find out who this guy is, what his motives are, or what he might do if he “escapes custody”, he turned to inflicting pain in order to put him in his place, to assert his dominance, to demonstrate why one should fear cops.

Now, I’m not saying that he did anything other than what he was trained to do, he was selected and made it through the screening process specifically due to his attitude, which was then reinforced through training and police culture. And that’s exactly the problem.