Controversy over “Velma” tv show?

Some of the more famous “targets” of #metoo were comedians who allegedly committed sexual assault and less violent, but still unacceptable, things.

Yeah, but what does that have to do with “spitting truth”?

The implication of the joke is that #metoo somehow made comedians have to stop telling the truth.

It doesn’t make sense.

Now if it had been a reference to cancel culture more generally, it might have made more sense. But it probably still wouldn’t have been funny.

Well, that’s the true travesty, here.

I was more referring to the entire show, which I haven’t seen, but appears to be universally disliked. So maybe it’s just disliked because it’s not funny.

Found one of the mentions:

though the animation is produced by Warner Bros. Animation, the studio didn’t give the modern series permission to use Scooby-Doo.

Now that’s funny!

I just watched the two episodes that have been released. I must be the only person (well, one of the 18%) who enjoyed it. There’s only two issues I have with it. One is the childlike version of Fred’s personality. The other is that they’re making it obvious who the killer is going to be. Other than those two things I enjoyed it. Velma, Shaggy, and Daphne were all done well.

More issues with Velma.

Right, the joke uses the “wrong” referent. #MeToo is not the same thing as “cancel culture” and Kaling must know it but, in the most generous interpretation, portrays the character is trying to “cleverly mock” those who don’t get that by voicing their beliefs all ironic-like — but only succeeding in a massive whoosh that annoyed all.

(Besides, “spitting truth like a comic before [whatever made comics self-censor]” sounds like “having an excuse for being obnoxious to others”.)

From the various articles though I detect there is implied some sort of greater overall Kaling fatigue happening in some circles, and it’s coming to a boil.

I haven’t watched the show, and likely wouldn’t have regardless of the reviews, but i’m starting to feel a bit bad for Mindy Kaling. It must be bad enough if you show doesn’t find an audience or they say it’s bad, but most of the time there’s not a single person to focus all the negativity on.

I didn’t take it as a joke about me too. I took it as a joke about comedians who complain that they can’t be “honest”’any more because of me too.

I watched the four episodes currently out. It’s more entertaining than I thought it would be. I did occasionally laugh out loud. I’ll probably watch at least a few more.

Give it a chance and see for yourself.

That was the obvious intent but what some are bringing up is that what the standups complain about is not “MeToo” but PC/“cancel culture”. Adjacent and intersecting but not the same thing.

Plus Kaling is then ironically enough getting hit with one of the archetypal tropes about PC/cancel culture, namely “there’s some things you cannot joke about!”

Sure, the precise language perhaps could have gone through another round of editing, but the meaning was clear to me.

Perhaps the biggest lesson here is that HBO needs to get out of the cartoon business. Velma and Santa, Inc. are two of the lowest rated tv shows on IMDB. Ever.*

*minimum 5000 votes

Whether or not you like those shows, HBO isn’t bad at cartoons. Harley Quinn is fantastic, for example.

Any others? Because those two turkeys will need a lot of counterweight.

Is it possible this is a spoof of what the right-wing writers would think left-wing writers would think is funny? Kind of a double agent comedy?

Actually, nevermind. I don’t think any of the aforementioned shows are HBO originals. Harley Quinn debuted on DC Universe, which was a separate Warner Media property.

Anyway, Velma and Santa, Inc. are so poorly rated that I now want to watch both of them. Even though I don’t watch cartoons. Because I’m an adult. JK.

I haven’t seen the show, but I saw a promo a couple months ago, where Velma’s on the phone to someone, complaining about a reboot of a cartoon she grew up with, and her complaints all describe Velma: changing the race of previously White characters to make the show diverse, female lead, “woke” story lines, etc.

I wasn’t terribly impressed. It felt lazy. If the promo was representative, I can very easily see them trying to pull similar, “It’s funny that I’m saying this because this is clearly something I don’t believe,” humor and completely blowing the context so it just sounds like they’re saying something stupid or awful unironically.

I mean, No they won’t.

One good show makes it all worthwhile. It’s not like creating a bad show is a deficit that needs to be made up. Especially for a subscription service like HBO. all that counts is finding something you like. Something you don’t like is irrelevant.

Plus, as I said, I see no reason to hate Velma. It might not be everyone’s taste, but I found it to be reasonably funny.