Conversion Therapy and Minors

Before the strawmanning gets out of control, could someone post a cite for the suicides and other harm from this therapy?

To give her the proper credit I’ll quote Lamia’s cite on the subject:

An ironic thought occurs to me. I’m pretty sure there’s a high overlap between parents who think homosexuality is morally wrong and parents who think premarital sex is morally wrong.

For them, conversion therapy must walk a tight rope. Undersell heterosexuality and your kids might stay gay. Oversell heterosexuality and your kids might decide to try it out. The goal is to hit the middle and turn your children into theoretical heterosexuals.

I would do a fake gay thing if I thought the outcome was to be “cured” by having sex with girls.

OMG, a miracle has occurred!

The law does not specifically say that, but “reverse conversion” is also illegal. Read the text of the law in post 26.

Fella, you’re so adorable when you say that.

I’m pretty sure that was on an episode of Malcolm in the Middle.

“Abuse” means something very specific when we’re talking about the law, which we are in this thread. Pretty much every kid faces “trauma” at some point during their lives because they clash with their parents, so raising the specter that a teen might face “trauma” isn’t very convincing.

I think parents trying to convert their kids is ludicrous and not good parenting. But it doesn’t rise to the level of “abuse” such that we need a law prohibiting parents from having that conversation with their kids or seeking councilor to do so. This is more along the lines of parents trying to prevent their heterosexual teenagers from dating or having sex. Pushing them into sports when they don’t want to play sports, etc.

Yeah, I don’t think gays are human. You found me out!

And you’re (sometimes) right!!

Can someone post a link to what exactly goes on in “conversion therapy” and/or “conversion therapy” camp?(non-pdf, if possible.)

When I open my gay conversion sauna, a video of Buddy and Pedro will be my primary (and possibly only) educational tool.

In a fundamentalist’s eye, is it worse for a man to want to fuck a penguin, or another man? Does it matter what gender the penguin is?

So trying to convince two hot girls to make out with each other is illegal?

Damn, I really have to stop basing my legal knowledge on Girls Gone Wild videos.

Not to worry. It’s illegal for a psychiatrist, but not for a film maker. Even better, the psychiatrist can’t come around to tell your hot chick friends NOT to make out with each other.

Is no one else going to give the thumbs up for But I’m a Cheerleader?.
Parents have a right and need to do many things that kids don’t like.
Society has a right and need to prevent parents from doing whatever they like.

Neither of these statements is controversial, the question, as always, is where to draw the line, and the burden, IMHO, is on the those proposing the risk. It’s on the state to prove vaccines are more good than harm, it’s on the parents to prove that conversion therapy is more good than harm. They haven’t done so.

My only concern would be if the law was badly written and was too specific/not specific enough.

Garbage, this isn’t even close to that. This is about systematically traumatizing the kid; I’d put it roughly on the same level as beating them or raping them. I think it should be made illegal, and I’d consider it grounds for their kids being taken away and the parent put in prison for life where they can’t abuse other children.

Actually, the element in that movie I found most interesting wasn’t the gay therapy, or the motives of the people running the gay therapy, or the guys who’d rejected the gay therapy (because frankly, all the above just kept hammering on gay stereotypes), but a brief moment near the end when one of the girls (Jan, played by Katrina Phillips) leaves because she actually is straight and always was - she was just sent to the camp for not being stereotypically female in that she wore her hair in a crew cut and liked sports and didn’t care about “girly” stuff and whatnot which led her parents to assume she was a lesbian. Her crime was nonconformity, not homosexuality.

I thought it was funny that Megan honestly didn’t realize she was gay until her parents sent her to the conversion camp and she met the girl she fell in love with.

I think 2 years in a Re-education camp would be better. We could call it radical left-wing conversion therapy.