Convince me that exercise/physical activity is fun

Don’t be afraid to start slow and break it up–the routine you begin with isn’t the one you’ll end with. When I first started exercising, almost a year ago, I couldn’t stand to do more than 5 minutes at a time. It was partially physical (I was very sedentary), but more mental: I didn’t know how to amuse myself while I worked out, and so after 5 minutes, I’d be panicky and bored and insane with it. I wanted to scream. So I did 5 minutes, but I did it twice a day, every day. The next week, it was 7 minutes. Now, I am up to 45-60/minutes twice a day, and that is easier than the first 5 minutes was last year. I learned how to get my brain in an exercise place.

Slow start, with slow incremental changes. They add up.

Also, if you try something and don’t like it, drop it, but go back and give it a try later. Our capacity changes over time.

Play disc golf. Seriously. It’s essentially a nice walk in the woods, over (usually) rolling terrain, with upper body exercise thrown in. Every game is 18 holes, and usually takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to play. The scenery is usually nice, and the thing that keeps it from being boring is that each hole is a nice little mental and physical puzzle to figure out, and the successful completion of each hole is a great little boost, like you’ve accomplished something.