Coronavirus and Splashing On Some Water

I wasn’t clear. She gave us a list (which I don’t have handy) of things that are often called “anti-bacterial,” on the front of the label, but are actually somewhat effective against viruses as well, as well as some things that are very effective against bacteria, but nada against viruses. We were told not to pay attention to the front of labels where it said either “anti-bacterial,” or “kills germs,” and read the actual list of ingredients.

Again, my bad, I wasn’t clear. Splashing a little water on your hands, or using standing water is a bad idea. Scrubbing your hands together vigorously under RUNNING water is very good. Drying them vigorously with a clean towel afterwards is also very good. But letting them air dry after a scrub under running water, if that’s the best you can do, is better than nothing. But scrubbing them with a little bit of non-running water, and either air drying them, or drying them in something that isn’t clean, is not great. It might even be worse than nothing. It depends on whether your hands are visibly soiled, and just how dirty the towel is.

Benzethonium chloride, which is a quaternary ammonium compounds, is what is used in most antimicrobal wipes. It is a surfactant and general microbiocidal agent, but isopropyl alcohol is still more effective, and soap and water is more effective year as it will cling and distribute across the hand surface, entering every crevice instead of just superficially wiping the surface.

Water by itself does nothing other than washing away superficial oils and dirt, and moist skin can potentially actually sustain viral activity for longer than just dry skin.

Stranger