Coronavirus COVID-19 (2019-nCoV) Thread - 2021 Breaking News

There’s a major difference between 10% of the population having had COVID since the pandemic began, and 10% of them having it RIGHT NOW.

Yes, its different, depending on what you’re looking at. If there was a choice between the two options, Republic is not the one I’d pick because it sounds like any health care they have will implode soon enough. But a 10% national figure is a composite of a whole lot of little Republics [and big cities] each having had their moment of chaos in the past 14 months.

153,507,160 total cases
3,216,711 dead
130,848,502 recovered

In the US:

33,180,441 total cases
591,062 dead
25,823,800 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

Early in the pandemic, when vaccines for the coronavirus were still just a glimmer on the horizon, the term “herd immunity” came to signify the endgame: the point when enough Americans would be protected from the virus so we could be rid of the pathogen and reclaim our lives.

Now, more than half of adults in the United States have been inoculated with at least one dose of a vaccine. But daily vaccination rates are slipping, and there is widespread consensus among scientists and public health experts that the herd immunity threshold is not attainable — at least not in the foreseeable future, and perhaps not ever.

Instead, they are coming to the conclusion that rather than making a long-promised exit, the virus will most likely become a manageable threat that will continue to circulate in the United States for years to come, still causing hospitalizations and deaths but in much smaller numbers.

Another shift in expectations WRT our future with this virus. Learning to live with and among it-- looks like that’s where we’re headed.

This article made me really mad with the oh-so-polite phrase “vaccine hesitancy.” Is there some reason we’re respecting people’s fears and false beliefs as if they were rational?

Probably because insulting people doesn’t make them more likely to do something. Since society is hoping that people will actually do something (get the vaccine), it’s not in its best interest to insult them.

There’s a middle ground between an insult and a euphemism. Even just describing people as “unwilling to vaccinate”—accurate, but not insulting, and without the gentle connotations of "hesistant."d

This is the breaking news thread. I think this discussion belongs elsewhere.

Oops, and i see you linked to that! Awesome.

This is sure to overcome that vaccine hesitancy:

But if they really wanted to be sure, they should be giving the shots in brewpubs.

Florida is open, whether it wants to be or not:

Nevada has done the opposite and has empowered counties to make decisions regarding Covid-19:

154,197,346 total cases
3,227,202 dead
131,617,847 recovered

In the US:

33,230,561 total cases
591,514 dead
25,909,393 recovered

154,981,439 total cases
3,241,145 dead
132,455,918 recovered

In the US:

33,274,659 total cases
592,409 dead
25,966,389 recovered

On the Johns Hopkins site, at least, the seven day averaged daily cases appear to be decreasing for both India and for the world at large, which is definitely good news.

In the US there have been no new daily record highs since that odd grouping of Michigan, Vermont, and Puerto Rico having new record highs in early April.

Huge vaccine news. Pfizer has applied to the FDA for authorization for its vaccine to be given to 12 to 15 year olds – it was already authorized for 16 and up. That is expected to be approved next week.

Now they will be requesting to make it available for 2 to 11 year olds in September.

Delhi and some other areas are in a lockdown right now however, according to Worldometer, India announced 412.618 new cases today, which is the highest of any country since the pandemic began.

Canada just gave approval for Pfizer vaccine for the 12-15 year olds

Also, technically speaking, Pfizer is still researching safety and effectiveness in children under 12, and won’t ask for authorization until/unless that research goes well. I have a friend who is trying to get his kids into the trial, though.

Also from the CNN article I posted a couple of posts up:

Pfizer also said Tuesday it has submitted information to the FDA that may allow its Covid-19 vaccine to be stored at standard refrigerator temperatures. Such a change could help simplify distribution of the vaccine.

Pfizer says it can be stored 4 weeks at refrigerator temperatures.

I signed my kid up for the trial. I figure I don’t have to make an actual decision to participate or not until they offer us a spot.

155,839,187 total cases
3,255,487 dead
133,294,585 recovered

In the US:

33,321,244 total cases
593,148 dead
26,035,314 recovered