113,550,202 total cases
2,519,328 dead
89,134,277 recovered

In the US:

29,052,262 total cases
520,785 dead
19,435,453 recovered

Yesterday’s numbers for comparison:

In a unanimous 22-0, a panel of advisers to the Food and Drug Administration recommended that the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Johnson & Johnson be authorized for emergency use in adults during the pandemic.

The FDA typically follows the advice of its expert advisers.

113,991,689 total cases
2,529,421 dead
89,544,725 recovered

In the US:

29,136,912 total cases
523,082 dead
19,534,068 recovered

FDA worked on Saturday and authorized the emergency use of the Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine! That is awesome.

I’ve heard the main reason that men’s hats eventually went out of fashion was the reduced interior size of automobiles. Once it became impossible to wear a hat inside a car, they just went by the wayside. I’m wondering if mask-wearing will have a similar effect on beards. Few things are goofier-looking than a bearded man wearing a mask.

Both of my sons rock those nasty big beards … and wear their masks when doing their weekly shopping at Walmart and Fareway. Both the crappy “surgical” ones and the bought (by me :smiley: ) homemade cloth ones.

“Nasty” cos their daddy is adamant about shaving at least every other day. Very little beard burn. Sad.

Lol!

(I don’t care if they do, don’t care he doesn’t … kinda like I don’t care if they care I shave my pits or legs. My body, my choice. Their bodies, their choice.)

I never noticed them looking goofy, but more important, masks work poorly over beards. There’s no way to get a decent seal if the edge of the mask rests on whiskers. I suspect a gaiter tucked into a shirt would be a better option for men with beards.

I know a lot of guys with pandemic beards. The “I don’t need to go to the office so I don’t need to shave” look. One friend has grown a truly massive beard.

I dunno what kind of mask he uses. I’ve only seen him over zoom, when he’s at home, since the pandemic.

114,394,151 total cases
2,537,833 dead
89,942,133 recovered

In the US:

29,202,824 total cases
524,669 dead
19,632,523 recovered

Yeah. Real common. Even among folks that go in to work daily I’ve seen a bunch of “I can grow it out under cover of mask then have the big reveal”. Obviously that only works for contexts where guys can wear beards at work.

I can’t have a beard at work, and I can’t work from home. I’ve always considered shaving a tiresome imposition, and have often had the stubble look between bouts of work for years. It’s not about fashion; just about lazy.

During COVID I’ve been working a bunch less than normal, so they’ve turned into real beards before getting the chop. Fortunately I’m good at growing hair. Sadly, it’s gray. OTOH it’s been gray since before I was 30.

My little brother is ~58 and in perfect health. He retired a couple of years before the pandemic and stopped shaving/getting haircuts then. He looks scary.

I asked how he handles masking with his Santa beard. He rarely needs to bother. He gets everything delivered contact-free. He even gets his marijuana delivered! Michigan is pretty cool.

Me, I have been keeping my beard trimmed specifically for masking.

My beard pokes through my gaiter in places. Tells me all I need to know about gaiter pathogen effectiveness.

My beardnet at work did a decent job of slowing my beard growth in pre-mask days. Now it is atop my other masks so it is just for show.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. Are you saying your particular gaiter isn’t up to par? Can you get one that your beard doesn’t poke through?

114,712,543 total cases
2,543,869 dead
90,268,540 recovered

In the US:

29,255,344 total cases
525,776 dead
19,694,306 recovered

Canada Post has announced that it has suspended service to two high rise apartment buildings in Toronto because residents are not wearing masks in common areas. The Post has said they will resume service once residents start wearing masks. I have no idea how that would be verified.

114,994,723 total cases
2,550,288 dead
90,720,332 recovered

In the US:

29,314,254 total cases
527,226 dead
19,817,532 recovered

Especially among older people

Since this isn’t the Pit, I won’t comment :roll_eyes:, but it is newsworthy.

On Friday, as a Food and Drug Administration expert panel recommended approving the Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine, the Archdiocese of New Orleans offered a differing opinion. Taking the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, the Archdiocese said, would be immoral.

“The archdiocese must instruct Catholics that the latest vaccine from Janssen/Johnson & Johnson is morally compromised as it uses the abortion-derived cell line in development and production of the vaccine as well as the testing,” the Archdiocese of New Orleans said in a statement on Friday.

The decision could put the archdiocese in conflict with the Vatican and Pope Francis, who have been aggressively pro-vaccine. Last December, the Vatican approved the use of vaccines “that have used cell lines from aborted fetuses in their research and production process,” adding that it’s “morally acceptable,” although the pope has yet to specifically address the Johnson & Johnson shot.

I guess the Archdiocese is now claiming to be holier than the Pope.

Merck is going to help produce vaccine.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/official-merck-produce-rival-jjs-covid-19-vaccine-76200041

115,302,067 total cases
2,560,647 dead
91,127,373 recovered

In the US:

29,370,705 total cases
529,214 dead
19,905,322 recovered