Coronavirus general discussion and chit-chat

I’m very curious what the dosage was for my third Moderna shot. It was not a booster, I got it because my immune system is compromised. It seems it should be the full-strength as it is sort of the third shot in a three-shot series. I just looked to try and find the info online. No luck.

I was kinda bummed that I had no reaction to the third shot. I had flu-like symtoms for about a day after the second shot. I thought I would experience the side effects again.

If you look online for an answer to the question: “What does it mean if you have no reaction to either mRNA shot?” You’ll see something like: “Don’t worry. Everyone reacts differently so just because you have no side effects doesn’t mean it’s not working.”

OK. I can understand that. But what about when you know that the person in question (me) does react to the vaccine but then doesn’t react when they get it a third time?

I bet that’s just hand-waved away as being the same answer as the first question but they’re not the same question. So what does it mean when a reactive person doesn’t have a reaction?

No one in my family had much reaction to the third, though some of us had days of acute reaction to the earlier doses.

I believe it was full-strength. And i think the reason they said, “everyone reacts differently” is because they don’t really know.

But i will say that some immunization work despite minimal side effects. I got a series for hepatitis, and don’t even remember a sore arm. (I might have had a sore arm and not remembered it, but it couldn’t have been very bad.) I think that’s typical of the hepatitis vaccines. The DPT shot always knocks me out, but I’ve never had worse than a sore arm from the flu shot, and one year, my entire family got flu, and I, the only vaccinated person, didn’t. So I’m pretty sure it worked.

Zostavax! That was it! Thanks! As I said, I’ve since had both Shingrix jabs, and they were fully covered by my insurance. Since posting, I read that the reason insurance companies don’t cover it for younger ages and the reason it was only tested on older folks is the same one: immunity against shingles wanes every year, and it’s around age 50 that the immunity gets low enough to require a vaccine . My nephew, who got shingles at age 20, was an outlier, poor guy.

I’m going to be in Vegas at the end of the month and thought I’d like to see Penn and Teller. The google hit was their names and the dreaded words anti-vax. Of course I had to find out if I still respected them so clicked the link and found this gem.

I’m really happy, if that had gone the wrong way I couldn’t have gone to their show.

So, my daughter has had cold symptoms since Saturday. Fever, fatigue, cough. Her cough was pretty bad on Sunday. Yesterday she complained that her eyes hurt. I did a home rapid Covid test on her today. It came back positive. My partner got severely fatigued yesterday – went to bed at like 7, and has a stuffy nose. Partner has a covid test scheduled for tomorrow morning. She’s fully vaccinated since end of April, so if she’s positive, it’s a breakthrough infection.

The kids have a school break this week, so if it stays mild, they may not miss much.

I’m working at home full time, but I’d gone in to the office on Friday, so I reported that. Luckily, no one else was there.

I was starting to think we’d get through to the kids getting vaccinated. So close.

Damn.

Shoot. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, they’ll remain mild and you’ll come out with extra immunity in the end.

Yeah, that was part of the conversation when I told my daughter (8) the test was positive.

Sorry!

I may finally have a lead on an explanation for why we have all these assholes protesting the wearing of masks or getting vaccines. It’s an article about a book that was published just before we all first started hearing stories about COVID.

He wrote a remarkable little book back in 2019 called The Psychology of Pandemics. Its premise is that pandemics are “not simply events in which some harmful microbe ‘goes viral,’” but rather are mass psychological phenomena about the behaviors, attitudes and emotions of people.

The book came out pre-COVID and yet predicts every trend and trope we’ve been living for 19 months now: the hoarding of supplies like toilet paper at the start; the rapid spread of “unfounded rumors and fake news”; the backlash against masks and vaccines; the rise and acceptance of conspiracy theories; and the division of society into people who “dutifully conform to the advice of health authorities” — sometimes compulsively so — and those who “engage in seemingly self-defeating behaviors such as refusing to get vaccinated.”

Does anyone know why we’re not longer hearing about how given their quick production booster shots are potentially able to be targeted to variants? It seems like now that we have delta, the pharm companies have stopped talking about that entirely in favor of just hawking a third dose of the OG vaccines.

Probably because the current vaccines work very well against the Delta strain. Much better than many other vaccines for other diseases.

It takes a while (a few days) for the immune system to fully react to an infection. The Delta strain reproduces faster than OG coronavirus, so it generates lots more virions during those few days. Fine tuning the vaccine to be specific to Delta is not going to change that, so there’s really no point in doing that fine tuning.

From what I can tell, there is considerable chaos inherent in immune reactions. Randomness of reaction is expected.

@eschrodinger, sorry to learn this. I hope your daughter’s case continues to be mild and that your partner recovers quickly. Also hope YOU don’t get a breakthrough case.

Good article! I wish I had that book. I wonder if it includes recommendations for dealing with all the BS.

Thanks. My partner got her positive test result today. Apparently a nurse will call her tomorrow, which is good, because we have some questions.

I hope I stay healthy too. I may take a home test to see if I’m infected but asymptomatic, or actually not infected. Or, I may wind up getting sick too, in which case I’ll probably go get an official test because I want the numbers to be accurate.

Tuberculosis went up due to pandemic medical-hesitancy. By that, I mean people avoiding going to the doctor until they are really sick.

Maybe this desrves its own thread, but is there anything good that’s come out of this pandemic other than flu being way down and a minor dip in CO2 emissions/air polution?

As the father of an 11 year old boy, one thing I’ve found annoying is the total lack of consistency about whether a negative test is required for him to attend events. Some venues require it and some don’t. It has nothing to do with the size of the venue, it seems to be completely random. And not easy to determine. One has to read deep down in the COVID requirements for a venue to get a definitive answer.

I need to know because if needed I have to make special arrangements for him to be tested within the given time constraints (usually 72 hours before the event).