Cost of eating in Australia for 6 weeks?

Like where, exactly?

About an hour north, at the University of the Sunshine Coast. (15 minutes from the beach!)

Besides the Beach and Australia Zoo, there’s not a lot to do on the Sunshine Coast; make sure you take a good book. :wink:

Frazer Island is the nearest really spectacular natural attraction. You need a certain degree of resources to see the best parts (off road vehicle, camping gear). You can go on an organised trip but they of necessity go to the most accessible and arguably over-visited parts. Still great though.

The campus is about 200 yards from my mother’s house, for what it’s worth.

That seems reasonable to me - it’s about what I eat too, though in my case, I don’t do the breakfast, but I would add a bit of chocolate and beer. I’m definitely not thin - I’m in the midpoint of “acceptable” BMI: ~22.5. And I run 4 miles a day too. I think people overestimate how much they actually require, food-wise.

I live in tennessee. I haven’t seen the beach since I was in grade school. I’ll manage, somehow, though it will be a terrible sacrifice. :smiley:

(And since I’ll be studying and attending classes.)

There are a few decent beaches in Australia. You can find them if you look hard enough. If you concentrate your search on the little bit of coastline between Melbourne and Noosa, you can probably chance upon something if you’re lucky.

But seriously, tick items from this list and I will advise:

• scantily clad people (specify how scantily and of which gender, it varies)
  • serenity and privacy
  • family friendliness (I’m guessing not a big priority)
  • raging surf, swimming in which amounts to an extreme sport
  • calm seas
  • surf suitable for boards
  • surf suitable for swimming
  • nightlife
  • resort shopping
  • boating
  • coarse sand
  • pebbles
  • fine sand
  • rocky headlands
  • dolphins
  • whales
  • lack of sharks, crocodiles, marine stingers (pick which you least want to be killed by)
  • access (will you have a car, will you have a four wheel drive)

I’m not guaranteeing I can get you a perfect match (and some options are clearly mutually incompatible), but try me…

All I know is that I lost two stone (~25 lbs) last year at the rate of one pound a week by restricting myself to about 2,200 kcals a day, carefully counted. My BMI was higher than yours, but I was by no means fat and I only do modest amounts of exercise.

According to the Mifflin - St. Jeor equation for basal energy expenditure, an adult male weighing just 95lb would require about 1,600 calories per day to sustain a totally sedentary lifestyle (height and age also affect the calculation). For a 5’10 male of 150lb it would be about 1,900 calories.

I realise that these things vary from person to person, but by that much?